The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2023, 01:33 PM   #1
garg
"TRF" Member

Room lights and watch

This sounds like a fairly ridiculous post but I just wanted to see if you feel that the colour of lighting in your room affects how you view the watch.

I own an everose daytona (this is my first foray into rose) and I'm not 100% sure I am used to the colour

I have yellow lighting in my room and I find that when I look at the watch under the light, it seems to look way too pinkish

When I bring the watch out under natural sunlight or white indoor lights, I like the colour a lot more. The lighting dosent seem to have an effect on how steel looks. Am I going mad?

Pic attached taken in sunlight

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:40 PM   #2
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 126515ln and yes.
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 05:45 PM   #3
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
You like the color when you look at it in natural light, but not when you look at it indoors with a yellow (warm) light. The easy solution is to replace your lightbulbs with bulbs that have a KELVIN rating of 4500 to 5000.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 06:05 PM   #4
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
You like the color when you look at it in natural light, but not when you look at it indoors with a yellow (warm) light. The easy solution is to replace your lightbulbs with bulbs that have a KELVIN rating of 4500 to 5000.
Or only look at it when you're outside
Old 5 November 2023, 06:20 PM   #5
Subzy
"TRF" Member

OP you've just described photometry ! Anything with a colour is going to appear different under different illumination hue
Subzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 07:00 PM   #6
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Might be those aftermarket stickers that you put all over affecting the shine/colour.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 08:25 PM   #7
monsieur_z
2024 Pledge Member

There's a whole science topic about how our eyes can perceive colors depending on the spectral distribution of the light source (colorimetry).

Light bulbs are rated on their Color Rendering Index (CRI) which is a score rating how accurately (compared to sunlight) a light bulb renders colors.

Cheaper LED and CFL lights tend to have a bad CRI, and render colors badly, but it doesn't have anything to do with warm or cold light.

Keep your watch, but upgrade your light bulbs!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
monsieur_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 08:38 PM   #8
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
This is why I walk outside with every watch I try on at my AD. Lights can play tricks! It’s also the reason I mostly use accent lighting in our house. Creates a killer ambiance.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 09:58 PM   #9
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

For that amount of money, I’d want to love it in any kind of light.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:04 PM   #10
d7s
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116519LN
Rose gold can look absolutely awful in certain lights conditions, that being said, with the right light, everose has one of the most beautiful metals I’ve ever seen.
Usually outside in a bit of a shade or at least not in direct sunlight that’s when it really pops
d7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:08 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzy View Post
OP you've just described photometry ! Anything with a colour is going to appear different under different illumination hue
Have to agree perhaps this is why we have Mk this or Mk that regarding dial bezels etc on today's Rolex watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:28 PM   #12
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

It may be all the plastic affecting the color...
Watchsama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:42 PM   #13
watch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
This is why I walk outside with every watch I try on at my AD. Lights can play tricks! It’s also the reason I mostly use accent lighting in our house. Creates a killer ambiance.

Sent using Tapatalk
This is a great way to see the true color of the watch when trying on at an AD...... and also a great way to get tackled!
watch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:54 PM   #14
garg
"TRF" Member

thanks! quite sure it isnt the protective stickers - had the watch for a few days before putting it on

never expected the lights to have such an effect.. think my wife will think im going crazy if i replace the room light with a more natural kind of feel, but thanks for the suggestion! i might just do that..lol
Old 5 November 2023, 11:55 PM   #15
garg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7s View Post
Rose gold can look absolutely awful in certain lights conditions, that being said, with the right light, everose has one of the most beautiful metals I’ve ever seen.
Usually outside in a bit of a shade or at least not in direct sunlight that’s when it really pops
yes i totally agree! best i seen the watch looking when i was in the car not under direct light
Old 6 November 2023, 12:02 AM   #16
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garg View Post
thanks! quite sure it isnt the protective stickers - had the watch for a few days before putting it on

never expected the lights to have such an effect.. think my wife will think im going crazy if i replace the room light with a more natural kind of feel, but thanks for the suggestion! i might just do that..lol
Indoor lighting can range from an orangish/yellowish at a relatively cool color temp (2700K) to a yellowish all the way to a blueish at 5000k. You can buy bulbs at any of these temps and you might want to be thoughtful about it in your home.

That "daylight" blueish hue can be rather annoying in a living space, especially in the evening hours. Best used in a garage or workshop.

Our in-ceiling LED "cans" have a switch inside to pick among 2 temps. The fixture over our kitchen sink also has a switch; many modern LED fixtures are adjustable like this.

If you really want to play, you can buy some wifi enabled bulbs that let you pick some color options from the app.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:11 AM   #17
garg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Indoor lighting can range from an orangish/yellowish at a relatively cool color temp (2700K) to a yellowish all the way to a blueish at 5000k. You can buy bulbs at any of these temps and you might want to be thoughtful about it in your home.

That "daylight" blueish hue can be rather annoying in a living space, especially in the evening hours. Best used in a garage or workshop.

Our in-ceiling LED "cans" have a switch inside to pick among 2 temps. The fixture over our kitchen sink also has a switch; many modern LED fixtures are adjustable like this.

If you really want to play, you can buy some wifi enabled bulbs that let you pick some color options from the app.
that is very helpful! i will explore those options. my wife might think im trying to set the mood when in reality....