The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 June 2011, 12:11 PM   #1
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Day-Date II Platinum in the wild

G'day everyone.. I spent the past couple of days going thru some high end shopping malls and seen lots of rolexs (this is in singapore) and not once a platinum dd2. in fact, as far as i can remember, i have not seen a pt dd2 in the wild! have you seen any in the wild? Lots of 18KYG since this is Asia here and pol tends to go for yellow gold with some blings.

pt dd seems to hold up its value very well compared to 18k gold DD/DDII from my observation. Only SS do better in terms of Rolex sport model. is this true from your experience?

just sharing some of my recent observation.. cheers!

p/s i am shopping for a platinum DDII for my other half and all four of my AD do not have the stock and waiting period is around 2 months for the dial and combo i desired so I am not too pleased... BTW anyone knows what the 'blue' hands are made of? Are they blue steel? From the photos, it does not look like blue steel since blue steel ar much darker hue. I am not sure since I have not seen one in person. Anyone? ... Thank you and cheers! - jennifer
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
chrisshank

Watch: GMTIIc
I have a friend who wears a Pt DD with diamond dial and bezel. Looks truly amazing and feels great on the wrist.

I have no idea what the resale value is.
chrisshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Plat takes a beating just like WG and YG
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

It's very hard to find a DDII Plat on the pre own market hence almost impossible to get a good feel on the deperciation index. Anyone here have a first hand experience?
Old 3 June 2011, 06:05 PM   #5
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
It's quite "normal" for the Gold/Platinum models to take a HUGE hit in resale value, just think about the extreme markup on gold models. 25.000 euro for a watch containing about 3.000 euro worth of gold...

Day-Dates rules though!
Old 3 June 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Come to South Australia. It will take you a week to find a Rolex.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
tnt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
G'day everyone.. I spent the past couple of days going thru some high end shopping malls and seen lots of rolexs (this is in singapore) and not once a platinum dd2. in fact, as far as i can remember, i have not seen a pt dd2 in the wild! have you seen any in the wild? Lots of 18KYG since this is Asia here and pol tends to go for yellow gold with some blings.

pt dd seems to hold up its value very well compared to 18k gold DD/DDII from my observation. Only SS do better in terms of Rolex sport model. is this true from your experience?

just sharing some of my recent observation.. cheers!

p/s i am shopping for a platinum DDII for my other half and all four of my AD do not have the stock and waiting period is around 2 months for the dial and combo i desired so I am not too pleased... BTW anyone knows what the 'blue' hands are made of? Are they blue steel? From the photos, it does not look like blue steel since blue steel ar much darker hue. I am not sure since I have not seen one in person. Anyone? ... Thank you and cheers! - jennifer
After the DD platinum I purchased for my husband four weeks ago, yesterday we browsed Rolex website, and he says I like that platinum DDII better because of its circle dial color hand easy to read.....what I responded was....I do not think they do sold one yet....you have to wait for at least 2 - 3 years the get a pre-owned. In the mean time, enjoy what you have my Dear
Old 3 June 2011, 11:37 PM   #8
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
After the DD platinum I purchased for my husband four weeks ago, yesterday we browsed Rolex website, and he says I like that platinum DDII better because of its circle dial color hand easy to read.....what I responded was....I do not think they do sold one yet....you have to wait for at least 2 - 3 years the get a pre-owned. In the mean time, enjoy what you have my Dear
Yikes.. I hope I get him the "right" one.. This is risky business. I want to get him the dd2 with the diamond dial however it do no come with the blue hands which maybe harder to read the time. So I am in a delimma here. I have not seen the so call blue hands in person yet.
Old 3 June 2011, 11:43 PM   #9
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
hello Jennifer and welcome to TRF
It's better to buy a like new one VS new when buying a watch like that...
Old 4 June 2011, 12:04 AM   #10
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
hello Jennifer and welcome to TRF
It's better to buy a like new one VS new when buying a watch like that...
Tony.. Cheers and tq for the tips however, my hubby is hard to please. Only all new will do for him. The last thing I want is after spending this sort of money he find fault with it. Few months back I bought a pre owned richard mille RM011 for him since he like it so much and it's almost impossible to find brand new, so I got him a used but in very good condition, guess what on the second day, he count more than ten imprefection on the watch and it had been a safe queen since. Everytime I see that watch in my safe, it piss me off big time! I complaint to my daughter, she told me, dad is a perfectionist and that's why he chose you.. vomit blood..
Old 4 June 2011, 12:08 AM   #11
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Tony.. Cheers and tq for the tips however, my hubby is hard to please. Only all new will do for him. The last thing I want is after spending this sort of money he find fault with it. Few months back I bought a pre owned richard mille RM011 for him since he like it so much and it's almost impossible to find brand new, so I got him a used but in very good condition, guess what on the second day, he count more than ten imprefection on the watch and it had been a safe queen since. Everytime I see that watch in my safe, it piss me off big time! I complaint to my daughter, she told me, dad is a perfectionist and that's why he chose you.. vomit blood..
It looks like you have a smart daughter good one and yes in that case it's cheaper to buy a Brand New one
Old 4 June 2011, 02:44 AM   #12
rolexsweep
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD40
ive only seen a yg dd, how do u tell from plat and white gold.
Old 4 June 2011, 03:14 AM   #13
arabesque
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsweep View Post
weight. platinum is heavier
arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 03:44 AM   #14
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
A business partner of mine has a platty DDII, with the blue dial and hands. I have tried it on, and it is an amazing watch. All its proportions are perfect. I have a Milgauss, and it was like a flat Milgauss. If it wasn´t for the $$$, it would be on my wrist.
I have also seen one in redgold with the bronze dial (rootbeer). That is also a very very cool watch.
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 03:58 AM   #15
tnt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller of the Sea View Post
A business partner of mine has a platty DDII, with the blue dial and hands. I have tried it on, and it is an amazing watch. All its proportions are perfect. I have a Milgauss, and it was like a flat Milgauss. If it wasn´t for the $$$, it would be on my wrist.
I have also seen one in redgold with the bronze dial (rootbeer). That is also a very very cool watch.
please inform me whenever he wants to sell it
Old 4 June 2011, 08:38 AM   #16
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsweep View Post
Great question, especially without the Glacier blue dial, you cant ask everyone wearing one to take it off so you can feel the weight Even if they did you would need another WG or Plat DD II to compare it with.
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 08:42 AM   #17
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buke45 View Post
Great question, especially without the Glacier blue dial.
Certainly for Day-Date IIs (not 100% sure if the same is true for DD Is), the WG model comes only with a fluted bezel, whilst the Platinum only comes with the mirror finish bezel
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 09:17 AM   #18
john7

Thanks for sharing!Have a great Day!!!
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 11:37 AM   #19
chc4au
"TRF" Member

DD II Platinum

I have one that I wear about 40% of the time.
I bought used about 1 1/2 years ago.
I did a WTB on this forum, Watchnet and Timezone and had several replies for exact watch ( blue concentric dial).
Ended up buying from a dealer in NY.
chc4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 12:05 PM   #20
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Certainly for Day-Date IIs (not 100% sure if the same is true for DD Is), the WG model comes only with a fluted bezel, whilst the Platinum only comes with the mirror finish bezel
Yep platinum dd2 only have domed bezel and dd2 in white is fluted.
Dd1 wg has domed and fluted.

I could be mistaken but a trained eye can see the finish difference between plat and WG

Most of the time the platinum would have glacier blue dials.

Now I'm daydreaming of a plat blue waves dial dd1 as my next trade up from my
rg DD1 meteor diamond.
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 12:30 PM   #21
cl600599

yea EBAYY!!, look on ebay for a DD2 you will find one, this life we live is not revolving around retail stores supplying you demands. THe internet will do the job, but trust the buyer before you buy
cl600599 is offline   Reply With Quote