The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 April 2012, 12:27 AM   #1591
RRP
"TRF" Member

And in regards to your GMT Ice you ordered, did it ever arrive in store and were Rolex annoyed to have to recieve it back? Didn't the bloke put down a deposit? And final question, is there a certain value a Rolex watch has to be in order for Rolex to not let you keep it at your store?

Appreciate this Chris :)
Old 26 April 2012, 01:14 AM   #1592
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
as soon as I posted that I remembered the GMT Ice!

Thank you for a great answer. In regards to the 18 month production time, it was very stupid of me to think it was anything other than a total of all employee shifts combined. I foolishly overlooked that Thanks

Quote:
And in regards to your GMT Ice you ordered, did it ever arrive in store and were Rolex annoyed to have to recieve it back? Didn't the bloke put down a deposit? And final question, is there a certain value a Rolex watch has to be in order for Rolex to not let you keep it at your store?

Appreciate this Chris :)
Hi Ritchie,

Don't feel stupid mate! These figures get thrown about a lot, and are misleading - the figures quoted are true, albeit with a caveat.

The GMT Ice did make it in store, we had it ready for when this guy was supposed to come in - he suddenly became very hard to get hold of! I don't think Rolex were annoyed, not that I heard of anyway! The guy was reluctant to put down a deposit, saying he wanted to see it first - it's a difficult one when you're asking someone to put money down on an unseen item. Rolex would allow us to have any watch in the range in store - however, the ultra-high end pieces don't make sense to keep in, they tie up a lot of capital, and the odds of having a customer come in for one in a small city are pretty low at best. From an insurance point of view it can be restrictive as well. As such, the only dealerships really capable of keeping the really high-end pieces in stock are probably going to the biggest in the most prosperous cities in the world - London, New York, Paris etc.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 26 April 2012, 02:52 AM   #1593
RRP
"TRF" Member

As usual absolutely brilliant Chris! Thank you so much. Have you taken any orders for any other super elite Rolex during your time at your company?
Old 26 April 2012, 03:57 AM   #1594
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As usual absolutely brilliant Chris! Thank you so much. Have you taken any orders for any other super elite Rolex during your time at your company?
Not personally, best I've done was an 18ct Day-Date about 18 months ago. The biggest piece we sold during my time at the shop was a lady's 18ct white gold Pearlmaster, with big brilliant cuts set into the bracelet. This was a few years back before the prices shot up, that was still £50k back then! That was a blingy piece

Chris
Old 26 April 2012, 04:19 AM   #1595
RRP
"TRF" Member

Sorry if I am bombarding you with too many questions Chris. This is my last one for a while and please take as long as you want to answer.

Do Rolex allow you to order 'different' watch combo's, ie. If I wanted a Sub, GMT or other sports model with a White Gold President bracelet on it instead of an Oyster would they entertain this? or simply laugh at me lol?

Thank you!
Old 26 April 2012, 05:02 AM   #1596
hard8
Banned

Quote:

Sorry if I am bombarding you with too many questions Chris. This is my last one for a while and please take as long as you want to answer.

Do Rolex allow you to order 'different' watch combo's, ie. If I wanted a Sub, GMT or other sports model with a White Gold President bracelet on it instead of an Oyster would they entertain this? or simply laugh at me lol?

Thank you!
laugh at you
Old 26 April 2012, 05:57 AM   #1597
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Hi Chris,i have no question for you (yet), just wanted to say...well done, you have been helpful to so many on TRF and please keep it up, i have really enjoyed reading through this thread since i found it today
Old 27 April 2012, 06:31 AM   #1598
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you!
You can ask as many as you like, Ritchie! As a general rule, if the combination isn't in the Master Catalogue (and, by extension, dials in the dial catalogue for that particular model), it's not available. There are one or two exceptions, but you can't swap non-standard bracelets at the factory level. Now if you wanted to go out and buy a bracelet separately, then there's nothing to stop you swapping bracelets (assuming the two were compatible, the end links sometimes prohibit this), but that is quite a costly option (not to mention difficult, as Rolex have cut right back on part supply), especially if we're talking 18ct.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 27 April 2012, 06:31 AM   #1599
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV View Post
Hi Chris,i have no question for you (yet), just wanted to say...well done, you have been helpful to so many on TRF and please keep it up, i have really enjoyed reading through this thread since i found it today
Thankyou for your kind words! You know where to find me when you do have a question
Old 27 April 2012, 11:10 AM   #1600
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

Hi. I bought a new DJII today. Haven't bought a Rolex in a while - had a few question.

Ad here in the states told me Rolex is no longer doing the case back hologram. This one did come with a protective sticker - when did that happen?

Also the warranty says international. Last I bought had a us warranty but I guess they did away with that?

Question on the model pic below - is the dial made of rhodium or just rhodium in color?

Thanks for answering questions . . . .

Old 27 April 2012, 07:15 PM   #1601
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Hi. I bought a new DJII today. Haven't bought a Rolex in a while - had a few question.

Ad here in the states told me Rolex is no longer doing the case back hologram. This one did come with a protective sticker - when did that happen?

Also the warranty says international. Last I bought had a us warranty but I guess they did away with that?

Question on the model pic below - is the dial made of rhodium or just rhodium in color?

Thanks for answering questions . . . .

Congrats on your new purchase, that's a great combo on the DJ II

With regards to the hologram, that was being phased out just when I started this job, that was back in late 2007. I'm not entirely sure when the process started and ended, but it's been a very long time since we received one with a hologram

I'm never entirely sure how the warranty works over in America, Rolex USA seem to be a different entity and do things slightly differently than over here in Europe. Maybe an American expert can help me out here

As for the dial, standard dials are usually painted brass - it's only when you start with the exotic materials (like mother of pearl and meteorite) that this changes. Given the high raw material price of Rhodium, I would think that it is just a description of the shade of colour

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 28 April 2012, 02:30 AM   #1602
P116520
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hi, Just signed up to this forum :-). Could you advise if there is any rumour or forecast for Rolex to make a jubilee bracelet for the datejust 2? It seems crazy that such a beautifully crafted & classic bracelet is not available for the DJ2. I am ready to buy either the DJ1 (in steel/rolesor) or the DJ2 in steel but realy really want the jubilee and not the oyster on the DJ2. Cheers, Peter
Old 28 April 2012, 02:48 AM   #1603
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P116520 View Post
Hi, Just signed up to this forum :-). Could you advise if there is any rumour or forecast for Rolex to make a jubilee bracelet for the datejust 2? It seems crazy that such a beautifully crafted & classic bracelet is not available for the DJ2. I am ready to buy either the DJ1 (in steel/rolesor) or the DJ2 in steel but realy really want the jubilee and not the oyster on the DJ2. Cheers, Peter
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum!

There were some changes to the Datejust II this year, notably the introduction of the all-steel 116300 (with flat bezel, as opposed to the fluted white gold bezel) and a silver baton dial. However, no Jubilee bracelet was announced - whether they will introduce it in the future (I for one hope they do) remains to be seen, but we won't hear anything more on the issue until Baselworld next year now. If, hypothetically, Rolex did announce a Jubilee bracelet for the Datejust II next year, the earliest we would see it in store would be Q3 of 2013

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 28 April 2012, 02:59 AM   #1604
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

Thanks Chris - appreciate the info.
Old 28 April 2012, 04:09 AM   #1605
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Hi Chris - so here's a question...

I've always followed the protocol of winding my Air King with 40 turns of the crown. This works out about right as the resistance is such that I really can't achieve too many turns in excess of this number. So I was wondering why I can get so many additional turns of the crown with my GMT IIc. Does this have something to do with additional power reserve?

I newb question I'm sure, but I am curious.
Old 29 April 2012, 04:17 AM   #1606
Sam Philip
Banned

Hi Chris, awesome thread, have been enjoying reading this thread.

I have a couple of questions for you

1 - Has the demand for Milgauss fallen? I can recall when it was first released people paid upto 15000 USD in the grey market. Now I can see them in the window
2- Do you maintain a waiting list for any other watch apart from Daytona?

Thanks
Old 29 April 2012, 08:31 PM   #1607
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
Hi Chris - so here's a question...

I've always followed the protocol of winding my Air King with 40 turns of the crown. This works out about right as the resistance is such that I really can't achieve too many turns in excess of this number. So I was wondering why I can get so many additional turns of the crown with my GMT IIc. Does this have something to do with additional power reserve?

I newb question I'm sure, but I am curious.
Hi Craig,

I think it may just be that the cal. 3186 has a slightly different construction to the cal. 3130. The GMT IIc is quoted as having the same c. 40 hour power reserve, so it may be that there's a slightly different clutch mechanism on the mainspring. I wonder if any technical geniuses have the definitive answer?

All the best,

Chris
Old 29 April 2012, 08:36 PM   #1608
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Hi Chris, awesome thread, have been enjoying reading this thread.

I have a couple of questions for you

1 - Has the demand for Milgauss fallen? I can recall when it was first released people paid upto 15000 USD in the grey market. Now I can see them in the window
2- Do you maintain a waiting list for any other watch apart from Daytona?

Thanks
Hi Sam,

The Milgauss has fell back into line as being a steady seller. Interest does vary, but it's about in the middle of the pack for steel sports models. I always thought the initial asking prices for the GV on the grey market were rather extortionate, I think people were desperate for it to be the next Daytona. Ironically, because of the interest in it, I doubt it will be scarce enough in the future to make it a serious collector's piece. Now, the White dial may be the one to have in the future - it's nearly impossible to sell right now, it's a love it/hate it design, and has an interesting backstory. If I were a betting man, that would be my tip

As for waiting lists, sometimes if we've got a particularly good run on Subs or GMTs we have to put people on the waiting lists. Supply from Rolex has been pretty generous recently, so they can be cleared pretty quickly

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 29 April 2012, 09:40 PM   #1609
PhilK
"TRF" Member

NOS in AD's safe

Hi Chris

Firstly, like everyone else, I think this continues to be an amazing thread. Had not dipped into it for a while and some of the latest Q&A's have been really interesting.

Apologies if you have been asked this before, but I keep reading elsewhere on the forum of instances where v decent professional SS Rolex watches are "kept" at the back of AD's safes as New Old Stock. The latest example was a thread the other day about a green bezel 16610 LV had been found (can't remember which country).

Are you aware of this happening in the UK? I was after an older stlye Explorer 1 a while back and no ADs I contacted had anything in stock. Are UK dealers more "starved" of stock than foreign counterparts, or does this occur in the UK and I have just not been lucky enough to stumble across them?
Old 30 April 2012, 02:22 AM   #1610
RRP
"TRF" Member

I have another question Chris. I hope it hasnt already been asked.

Do you get tipped often? I have always thought that people who deal with potentially wealthy clients get good tips. Is this true in your case?
Old 30 April 2012, 04:48 AM   #1611
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK View Post
Hi Chris

Firstly, like everyone else, I think this continues to be an amazing thread. Had not dipped into it for a while and some of the latest Q&A's have been really interesting.

Apologies if you have been asked this before, but I keep reading elsewhere on the forum of instances where v decent professional SS Rolex watches are "kept" at the back of AD's safes as New Old Stock. The latest example was a thread the other day about a green bezel 16610 LV had been found (can't remember which country).

Are you aware of this happening in the UK? I was after an older stlye Explorer 1 a while back and no ADs I contacted had anything in stock. Are UK dealers more "starved" of stock than foreign counterparts, or does this occur in the UK and I have just not been lucky enough to stumble across them?
Hi Phil,

I have to say, I haven't heard of anywhere in the UK doing it, and it's certainly a policy we don't follow. Financially, it doesn't make much sense - far better to get an item turned over and get the new version in stock as soon as possible. As for stock, in my experience, Rolex has always been very generous in supplying us, but I would imagine it would vary greatly from AD to AD. I think another factor is that the market for Rolex here has stayed pretty strong, whereas in many places, notably the USA, the market has experienced a serious crash - factor in a higher number of low turnover ADs, and that's when you get pieces sitting in stock for a long long time.

I guess your best bet would be to try and find the smaller dealerships over here, but I believe that many of them will be in the process of being culled right now - Rolex are asking for a lot of investment in the brand, both in increased display space (at the cost of the dealership), as well as a big increase in stock. We're having a Rolex wall fitted this summer, and we've been asked to increase our stock levels by about 40%. If every AD is having to do this to keep their agency (as I've been led to believe), those low turnover dealerships simply won't be able to afford it. I think we'll see fewer examples of desirable pieces in stock a long time, at least until Rolex decides to expand again

Hope this answers your question,

Chris
Old 30 April 2012, 04:50 AM   #1612
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have another question Chris. I hope it hasnt already been asked.

Do you get tipped often? I have always thought that people who deal with potentially wealthy clients get good tips. Is this true in your case?
I have never been given a cash tip whilst working for the store. On two occasions, I've been given gifts (a few bottles of beer, and a beautiful wooden watch box) after a sale, both times they were TRF members - I won't name names, but you know who you are, many thanks again! Furthermore, I don't earn a penny's commission - I only earn a very basic (not to mention low) wage. I'm in this job for enjoyment rather than money

Chris
Old 30 April 2012, 06:33 AM   #1613
harvey
"TRF" Member

I'm going to miss this thread!
Old 30 April 2012, 06:42 AM   #1614
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I'm going to miss this thread!
Why? Is it going away any time soon?

Old 30 April 2012, 06:46 AM   #1615
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelain View Post
Why? Is it going away any time soon?
Yes, I'm leaving the job for pastures new very soon. I'm going to finish at the end of June at the latest
Old 30 April 2012, 06:59 AM   #1616
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Thank you for what you had done/answered in this thread!
Old 30 April 2012, 07:32 AM   #1617
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Yes, I'm leaving the job for pastures new very soon. I'm going to finish at the end of June at the latest
Congratulations! Anything watch-related?

I'll get one last question in before then, I guess.

I've heard from someone who has spoken with an AD about it that newer ceramic TT Subs have a darker blue color than the first ones that left the factory in 2009.

I can imagine you've seen a few come and go, is this something that you can confirm or deny?
Old 30 April 2012, 07:44 AM   #1618
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
I'll get one last question in too, in that case :) And once again, thanks for this thread, and thanks for answering my previous questions - it's all very much appreciated.

How often have you seen someone bring an Oysterquartz in for servicing, in your time there ? I'm just curious to get some kind of feel for how many Oysterquartz owners come through the doors, relative to the Oyster Perpetuals.
Old 30 April 2012, 09:42 AM   #1619
tommyyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Hi Insider, can you help me on my recent purchase?

I just bought a ladies datejust, black dial. (Rolex Ladies WG & SS Black Stick DateJust 79174). I bought it around $3,200 from a LA dealer. The dealer says it's a 2003 model, K serial. I received it in perfect condition.
However, when I went to a local watch shop to prove authentic, the owner told me that I paid too much one this one although it's 100% authentic.

It's still in the return period, so I wanna know is the price really too high?
If so, how much one should pay for a watch like this?

Thanks for your time
Old 30 April 2012, 09:59 AM   #1620
a l e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN / 114300
Hi Chris,

Which Milgauss has been the most popular? I'm going to buy the white soon and think its by far the nicest! I suppose like you said, it's definitely a love/hate thing!

Where in the UK are you? The only AD near me closed recently so on the look out!

Thanks.
Closed Thread