The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2020, 04:57 PM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the Rolex Air King

Hi Guys,

I am curious as to what your thoughts on the Rolex Air King is. At first sight the watch appears to be very simple and I am not sure If I should go for that or a DJ 41.

What makes this watch special? Are there any chances it might go up in value? Any foresights?

Also, is the Rolex Sub (no date) a really hard watch to acquire at MSRP? I hear that quite a lot.
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:02 PM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

You'll engage the rage in people with a post like this.

Why don't you tell us about your interest in rolexes, what models you are attracted to and why?

For me - I like them as something that is made by experts, that has some prestige and value, it's a symbol that if you work hard and sacrifice, you can have something really nice, that can be handed down to your kids.

I really liked the Pepsi GMT, I like the history and the functionality. I ended up with an Explorer II, which I really like, but I question whether I love it in the same way I'd love a Pepsi if I had the chance?

Don't settle for something you like, and don't look to make money on something, that's not the market we are in at the moment.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:07 PM   #3
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Buy what you like. A DJ41 looks like a Rolex that most will notice, and know from the first glance. The Air King is a very beautiful watch, but will not be known by most people. I would go for the Air King now because there’s speculation it may not be around for long, and will only go for a DJ41 if fluted and on jubilee. If you want a Sub I suggest you wait until movement change, and don’t worry they are available from Ads if you can wait a bit especially if you’re from the US.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Basically a Milgauss with a military field watch kind of dial. They're nice.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:09 PM   #5
sm84
"TRF" Member

@interestedwatcher, I meant no offence to anyone and wasn't really looking to flip a watch. Its just like the other threads over here that talk about watches gaining value or losing value in the grey market. In all honesty, it was just my curiosity and lack of awareness of that specific model that made me ask that.

I appreciate some of the other watches that I previously didnt appreciate as I started to learn their history. Believe it or not, at one point I wouldn't even consider a Daytona or any of the much sought after watches. I literally had to appreciate its history and beauty to start considering one of those. Hope this helps.
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
The AK is associated with the Bloodhound SSC. No one can say whether it will rise or not although not significantly would be my guess.

Sub ND should be available at MSRP after a short wait at an AD.

Both the DJ and Subs are all time classics. I would go with one of these and forget the AK for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 07:53 PM   #7
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am curious as to what your thoughts on the Rolex Air King is. At first sight the watch appears to be very simple ....
Are you really talking about the 2016 Air-King, the 116900? Because "at the first sight" the watch definitely doesn't appear "very simple". Me thinks you are talking about a 34mm Air-King.
Old 5 April 2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Explorer2Guy
Banned

I sold mine because the white gold numbers being incongruous with the “speedometer” looking numbers, which were otherwise really cool, was a mess. “Like an explosion went off at the numbers factory” as one reviewer wrote.

Get an Explorer or OP/DJ2 depending on your taste.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:34 AM   #9
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2Guy View Post
I sold mine because the white gold numbers being incongruous with the “speedometer” looking numbers, which were otherwise really cool, was a mess. “Like an explosion went off at the numbers factory” as one reviewer wrote.

Get an Explorer or OP/DJ2 depending on your taste.

I’m curious as to why you bought one if the incongruous dial was a mess ? Were you swayed by the negative opinion of others as the reason for selling?

The current AirKing is peculiar watch. Either one loves or hates it. It’s quirkiness is what attracted me to it. Eccentric dial, no date, AirKing font, yellow coronet, green Rolex lettering and green second hand.
It’s beautiful!
Peace

JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 03:45 AM   #10
Explorer2Guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
I’m curious as to why you bought one if the incongruous dial was a mess ? Were you swayed by the negative opinion of others as the reason for selling?

The current AirKing is peculiar watch. Either one loves or hates it. It’s quirkiness is what attracted me to it. Eccentric dial, no date, AirKing font, yellow coronet, green Rolex lettering and green second hand.
It’s beautiful!
Peace

I bought it in May 2017 when the market wasn’t tapped out. The case that day had everything. Subs, GMTs, DDs. My choices were Explorer 2 Polar but I didn’t love the white dial, Explorer or Air King. The Explorer was just not as interesting as the Air King.

At first I didn’t think I’d mind the mismatched white gold 3, 6 and 9. Then they just started to bug me immediately after getting the watch. The bezel also was a scuff magnet. Then I tried a friend’s Sub on and was done with the idiosyncratic and kind of, in my opinion, gaudy Air King. I got an Explorer 2 with the black dial. Been really happy with it.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 03:53 AM   #11
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Love mine. But I’m a sucker for anything green.
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:11 AM   #12
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

I bought an Air-King this year. Never cared for the small 34mm ones from previous years.

I actually traded a watch towards the purchase. I saw it when it was first released, and really liked the color and the dial design. Of course the New large 40mm Case Size was a big seller as well. I wasn't happy with the lack of a date, and one of the reasons I waited three years before I bought it.

Ironically, I decided on a DateJust, and ended up buying a DateJust II, because I wanted the larger case, and a particular dial that was available at that time.

You won't go wrong with either. I have big wrists and like large watch cases. Nothing smaller than 40mm.

Decide on whether you want a date complication or not, and then pick a watch whose dial and bracelet interest you.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #13
jackminny15
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changin'
I have all three of the watches you mentioned. They are all different to me.

I have a Datejust 41 with the wimbledon dial, on a jubilee bracelet with smooth bezel. This to me is the most "classic looking" and recognizable Rolex I own. I bought it primarily to wear to "dressy" events (such as when I have to wear a suit in the office), but I occasionally wear it a little more casually, too. It feels extremely comfortable on my wrist and I routinely forget I have it on. I love the beautiful look.

I also have a Sub no date. While many consider this just as iconic (if not more) as the Datejust, to me it jumps out just slightly less because there are so many copycats these days. This watch also wears extremely comfortably and to me is just as useful as a dress watch as a casual watch, even though the bracelet is a little on the dull side for a dress watch.

Lastly, I just got the Air King. To me this is not a dress watch; it's designed to be casual or for functionality. That said, I really like the color on the dial, which sets it apart from just about ever Rolex model out there. I feel it on my wrist much more than the Datejust, but it is not unwieldy.

If you're deciding between an Air King and a Datejust, think about the DJ bracelet and bezel you select and how you intend to wear it. If it's something you plan to wear both dressy and casual, I think the DJ is your better choice, likely with the jubilee bracelet, the fluted bezel, or both. If it's primarily a casual watch, either can work but the Air King might be better. And of course you have to decide if you like the yellow and green on the Air King dial, which many abhor but I think makes the watch look great.
jackminny15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 05:03 AM   #14
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post

It’s beautiful!
Peace

It's this quirkiness that I like in the AK 116900 and why I'm contemplating on getting it. It would complete my GLOBAL TRILOGY: Water (SubC), Land (Explorer II), and Air (Air King).

Ha Ha.

cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 05:09 AM   #15
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Ive considered the 34mm vintage air kings. The new ones just look like they needed a way to use up cases meant for the milgauss that wasnt a hot seller. Similar to all those other dial variations that they cooked up to try to sell the line.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 05:20 AM   #16
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
Ive considered the 34mm vintage air kings. The new ones just look like they needed a way to use up cases meant for the milgauss that wasnt a hot seller. Similar to all those other dial variations that they cooked up to try to sell the line.
I hear that from youtube reviewers but I think Rolex just took the dial from the Bloodhound...

It's very eccentric...

Last edited by cj3209; 7 April 2020 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: having trouble adding a pic
Old 7 April 2020, 05:22 AM   #17
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I like the current one. Not at the top of my list, but I can definitely see the appeal.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 05:26 AM   #18
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
i hear that from youtube reviewers but i think rolex just took the dial from the bloodhound...

It's very eccentric...
Rolex for BLOODHOUND SSC, the supersonic car 2.jpg
Old 7 April 2020, 06:02 AM   #19
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
Now, if the watch looked like the dial on the right I would buy one tomorrow. The three polished numbers kill it.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 06:05 AM   #20
Heller
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch.. love mine
Heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 06:45 AM   #21
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Well, it definitely is a unique bird. It’s too unorthodox in design for my tastes. That might make it more collectible in a couple decades, though.

The older Airkings were quite handsome.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 08:53 AM   #22
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I really like mine, I love the dial, so different.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 01:01 AM   #23
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
"engage the rage" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
You'll engage the rage in people with a post like this.

Why don't you tell us about your interest in rolexes, what models you are attracted to and why?

For me - I like them as something that is made by experts, that has some prestige and value, it's a symbol that if you work hard and sacrifice, you can have something really nice, that can be handed down to your kids.

I really liked the Pepsi GMT, I like the history and the functionality. I ended up with an Explorer II, which I really like, but I question whether I love it in the same way I'd love a Pepsi if I had the chance?

Don't settle for something you like, and don't look to make money on something, that's not the market we are in at the moment.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:57 AM   #24
jgan
2024 Pledge Member

I owned a 116900 for about 6 months and loved everything about it except not having a date - if it did I would still own it. With a Rolex you're never really going to lose a ton of money so buy what you like and don't worry about appreciation down the road. I'm currently alternating between an all stainless Old Navitimer II and a TT rose gold DJ 36 116201 as my everyday wearers. I'm looking at a 116710LN or a 116713 as my next purchase.
jgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 11:56 AM   #25
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
I really like the new Air-King, but I'd love it even more if it were sub-40mm.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote