The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2021, 08:25 AM   #1
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Next Watch - Datejust or JLC Reverso?

Hi, fellow watch lovers,

It feels like the time has come for my second watch. I currently only have a black date Submariner (116610LN) as my only watch. It's a great all-around watch, although it isn't perfect for some occasions (e.g. paired with a suit), hence I'd like something a bit smaller and dressier. As of right now, it stands between a Datejust 36mm and a JLC Reverso Small Seconds.

JLC Reverso: I love it! I'm a huge Rolex fan, but this is one of the non-Rolex watches that I must own someday. It's dressy, but can also be dressed down with different straps. Also works well when worn with a tuxedo (the Datejust won't). I have pretty small wrists (about 16.5cm/6.5 inches), but they're flat. If I'm going with this option, I'll go with the smaller size (42.9 X 25.5mm). Do you guys think it fits well? Also, the question would be if I should go with the Mono or Duoface. Is the Duoface too thick? Here's a couple of photos. The Reverso with the black strap is the Monoface, the brown strap is the Duoface. I know that they aren't the best pictures, but I hope they suffice. Reverso - Imgur link.

Datejust (36mm): I've wanted a Datejust for a long time now. Thought of buying one since just after I bought my Sub. The config I'm thinking about is the blue sunburst dial, fluted bezel and Oyster bracelet. I know that fluted bezels with Oyster isn't the most usual combination, but I prefer it compared to the looks of the Jubilee. Although, I might be swayed the other way towards the Jubilee. What about the bezel? Is the fluted bezel okay for everyday use? Won’t it get damaged? Heard that replacing it costs a lot, compared to the smooth bezel. Is the blue dial a good option? Don't have any pictures on this one, but you get the idea.

It isn't as dressy as the Reverso. Also, I don't know if I'd be able to put on leather straps for some variation (does this work? Heard that the new cases might damage leather straps)? One of the reasons I'm thinking about prioritizing the Datejust is the whole Rolex craze. I don't know how much they'll cost later on and if they might be impossible to get. I'm hearing that Subs are extremely hard to get at AD's today. I'm scared that if I do get the Reverso today and wait a year for the Datejust, that I won't be able to get one later on. Don't forget the price increase that'll probably come later on.

What do you guys think? Does the Reverso even fit me? Heard that different straps might change its fit. My wrists are small, as mentioned, so I don't want a watch that won't fit well. I think that the Reverso might be more "fun" option and would fit my needs better, but perhaps it's better left for later? I don't know how the Datejust's position in the market will be later on, while the Reverso shouldn't fluctuate too much.

I know, getting both would be the easiest, but that isn't really possible right now. Perhaps I'll be able to grab a Monoface really soon after a Datejust, but not really if I'd like to go with a Duoface (or perhaps if I don’t go with the fluted bezel)...

Thank you in advance! :)
Lord Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:27 AM   #2
SaintMickey
Banned

I want a JLC Reverso Medium small seconds...having said that get the DJ.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 01:01 PM   #3
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I want a JLC Reverso Medium small seconds...having said that get the DJ.
Haha, it's so hard to choose...

Another thing I've been thinking about is the increased robbery rates. Perhaps the JLC would be much more under the radar. Although it's pretty ok now during winter (long sleeves plus overcoats and gloves hides a watch pretty well), but I don't know about summer and wearing short sleeves...
Old 12 December 2021, 01:31 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tomato View Post
Haha, it's so hard to choose...

Another thing I've been thinking about is the increased robbery rates. Perhaps the JLC would be much more under the radar. Although it's pretty ok now during winter (long sleeves plus overcoats and gloves hides a watch pretty well), but I don't know about summer and wearing short sleeves...
So the increased watch robberies are also occurring in Sweden? Tell us more pls.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
So the increased watch robberies are also occurring in Sweden? Tell us more pls.
Unfortunately, yes. There's been a ton of watch robberies during the last six months, primarily against Rolex wearers. A couple of weeks ago, a bunch of robbers acted as they were delivering flowers. A child opened the door and got a gun pointed towards his head. They didn't get the watch (think it was a DD), as I think the owner previously sold it.

Also, a planned heist was stopped by the police last month. They were planning on kidnapping a wealthy businessman and steal his watches (news stated that they were primarily out after his watches).

Other than that, it seems like there's something on the news every week about people being robbed of their Rolex's. It all suddenly started during these latest months... Don't forget that it's more or less always in the more affluent parts of Stockholm (although there have been robberies in other cities too), which are supposed to be "safe". I've never felt unsafe before when wearing my Sub. Worn it daily since I got it several years ago during nights out, summer when wearing sleeveless etc. Not any longer...

I tried to find some news articles to add, but all of them are in Swedish.
Old 12 December 2021, 02:18 PM   #6
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

I always thought the duoface was the bigger model, but it looks like the smaller one in your pics? Have you considered a Cartier Tank as well?

You can't go wrong with a classic Datejust, but if you are trying to get maximum variety in a two watch collection then you'll probably want a non-Rolex model.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:24 PM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. There's been a ton of watch robberies during the last six months, primarily against Rolex wearers. A couple of weeks ago, a bunch of robbers acted as they were delivering flowers. A child opened the door and got a gun pointed towards his head. They didn't get the watch (think it was a DD), as I think the owner previously sold it.

Also, a planned heist was stopped by the police last month. They were planning on kidnapping a wealthy businessman and steal his watches (news stated that they were primarily out after his watches).

Other than that, it seems like there's something on the news every week about people being robbed of their Rolex's. It all suddenly started during these latest months... Don't forget that it's more or less always in the more affluent parts of Stockholm (although there have been robberies in other cities too), which are supposed to be "safe". I've never felt unsafe before when wearing my Sub. Worn it daily since I got it several years ago during nights out, summer when wearing sleeveless etc. Not any longer...

Sad, very sad. Thanks for providing the info. The US isn’t much better these days, and London, England is also getting serious problems.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:32 PM   #8
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
The DJ is a classic. You can’t go wrong with it. And it can be pretty dressy as well. Definitely my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:43 PM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have both. If you have a Sub, I’d go Reverso next. Try it on first, the different sizes sit differently on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
If you have a Submariner, then a Reverso Classic mediium small seconds is an ideal companion for it, no doubt.

I actually went into an AD with the intent of buying one. I tried one on, and I was a little disapointed by it. It just felt fragile and flimsy compared to my Submainer and Speedmaster (proabbly because it is). I know it's a classic and I know JLC is a top brand, but the watch just seemed more expensive to me than it should be.

Ironically, I actually ended buying an Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. So I thought I was going to buy a dress watch (just like you apparently want to), but now I have 2 divers plus a Speedmaster, and no real dress watch.

I haven't totally ruled out a Reverso in the future, but now want a Datejust 41. I just think a DJ41 is better for me.

I hear what you're saying about a Reverso being more suited for a Tuxedo than a DJ, but honestly, I just don't wear a Tuxedo enough for that to be a real factor. I'll wear my Submariner or Speedmaster with a Tuxedo if I have to...
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:15 PM   #11
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Reverso next then a Datejust. Do not buy the Reverso without trying it on first.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:17 PM   #12
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Note to OP: my Reverso Duo is a large. My DJ2 is 41mm. My wrist is 6.5 inches. 16.51 cm.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:18 PM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post

This is the JLC I would go for .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:43 PM   #14
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Reverso !

Perfect mate for a Submariner !
Old 12 December 2021, 04:34 PM   #15
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
I bought the Tank Solo XL to wear with my tux on my wedding day, it looked just right! Then a few months later I bought the DJII and now it’s my go to watch for formal occasions.

Don’t get me wrong the Tank is great to wear but sometimes looks too dressy with the black strap and I think you’ll have that same problem with the JLC. I like to match the leathers of my strap, belt and shoes and the DJ makes the wear more universal.

Having said all this when I want to fly slightly under the radar I will wear the Tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4A810F21-2C2B-402B-8558-F2E13A6F876E.jpeg (102.6 KB, 661 views)
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a shame, but a big part of it is situational awareness. Sounds like you have your antenna properly deployed. Your way forward is clear. Don't buy a Rolex.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 04:45 PM   #17
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Go for the DJ, no question.

Just about any configuration will result in a timeless classic. I think if your wrist is 6.5 in you can also look at the DJ41 options. They actually measure 39.5mm and wear reasonably well, esp. on the jubilee bracelet.
Old 12 December 2021, 05:22 PM   #18
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The Sub is great for like 99% of instances. But, like you said, the one situation where you might want something else is for formal wear. I think a Reverso is a great match for this, especially if you see yourself continuing to predominantly wear the Sub, as you'll have something very special for special occasions.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 07:05 PM   #19
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
I had a JLC Grande Date definitely a very pretty and quite unique watch. I traded it towards my DD and do miss it. I loved its 8 day power reserve but…

My one was not particularly accurate and bear in mind servicing costs are quite high. £750 for last service back in 2017 nothing replaced over and above normal service. I seem to remember my Sub was £500 for a service a year later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8DEE845-DF77-4E84-96BA-6075921DD947.jpeg (101.6 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpeg B562715E-C05B-4A34-94C6-331C263F6A05.jpeg (93.5 KB, 616 views)
Old 12 December 2021, 07:08 PM   #20
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Something timeless to a art deco square design.

JLC and Cartier comes to mind ..
Old 12 December 2021, 07:10 PM   #21
rkny
"TRF" Member

This is like asking a waiter if you should order X or Y.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 07:15 PM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

..and that's in save Sweden !!! Imagine other parts of the world .

My wife and I are rethinking carefully wearing Rolex in certain circumstances .
Here,they will kill you with a smile for a Rolex .

I own JLC/Panerai/IWC too . Looking for my first Cartier ,have so much respect for the brand and its history .LOVE the Santos Skeleton ,but it pretty expensive ...
Old 12 December 2021, 07:26 PM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Old 12 December 2021, 07:39 PM   #24
Neom
Banned

I think the DJ is more versatile
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:04 PM   #25
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
For a second watch, then I would definitely take a Datejust. Think if offers so much more versatility compared to a Reverso.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:11 PM   #26
Little machines
"TRF" Member

The DJ is definitely more versatile .Good luck! The JLC is still a good looking dress watch !
Little machines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:16 PM   #27
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Depends on your wrist size. Reverso if small, DJ if larger.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:18 PM   #28
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Reverso is a bit overrated IMO. It looks nice in itself but only the more exotic variations are interesting, such as these painted ones:

https://press.jaeger-lecoultre.com/j...den-treasures/

The dial is especially beautiful.

The rest, well it’s mostly a simplistic dial with old fashion design.

I’d go with DJ36, blue with jubilee, fluted bezel and fluted dial motif.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 11:32 PM   #29
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Depends on your wrist size. Reverso if small, DJ if larger.

I’m not sure I’d agree with this. I think a DJ41 wears smaller on the wrist than a large Reverso.

The Reverso wears much bigger than the stated dimensions because it’s square.

I’d recommend the medium sized Reverso for anyone with 7.25” wrists or less.

For these types of watches, they look a lot better when they have a smaller foot print on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 11:43 PM   #30
Societas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Blue SkyD
Hello, I understand the appeal of the JLC, but personaly i can't get over the akwardly located arabic numerals on the dial on the reverso. Cartier Tank would be my choice if you want to go with square watch. (currently waiting for new Must Solar Beat that is on order)

I think the the DJ would be more versatile, but as you're a Sub Date owner, you got the versatility box already checked, go dressy :)
Societas is offline   Reply With Quote