The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2024, 12:09 AM   #31
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonski74 View Post
120m WR…. Another “Pro” for the 5811… great point to mention Subtona! Thanks again everyone for the insights!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very difficult choice
WR of 5811 would permit me to wear as a daily and literally not ever remove the watch.

The 5740 has a snap back vs screw down so as (I imagine) to accommodate the 240 movement.
the crown may or may not be screw down? (If it is , what’s the point?)

The nautilus line is imho the best sports watch ever made , the AP RO takes a back seat because of the lack of WR.

But the 5740 dial and complication are straight up incredible.
this perpetual calendar complication with an automatic movement while also super thin is among pateks greatest creations . The crispness and color of the dial is so right. The micro rotor is exactly what you would want in this watch for its beauty and thinness.

Anther notable difference is the gradient dial of the 5811. It is a bit more extreme than I’m used to.

I would pick the 5740… but I could see it sitting in a draw too often because of the lack of WR and eventually being moved on for something else. It is perfect in every other way and is like a collection of greatest watches rolled into one and executed exactly right.

Based on the above Clearly I am crazy so consider my thoughts for entertainment value
Old 19 February 2024, 01:29 AM   #32
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5204-011; 5270-001
5811G or 5740G

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
5811 for me, prefer its pure beauty and you already have a perpetual calendar.

Curious, have you been offered these 2 thanks to your purchase history of 4 watches total or could you have obtained them earlier with let's say with just the 5270 or 5204?

Hi John,
Honestly I am not sure if I would have potentially been offered the 5740/5811 earlier with less purchase history. My AD puts a lot of effort into understanding me as a client and finding the right watches to compliment my collection. We have a long standing relationship and I have done a fair amount of purchasing and consolidation along the way to get to my current collection.

Tonski74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:23 AM   #33
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5204-011; 5270-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Very difficult choice
WR of 5811 would permit me to wear as a daily and literally not ever remove the watch.

The 5740 has a snap back vs screw down so as (I imagine) to accommodate the 240 movement.
the crown may or may not be screw down? (If it is , what’s the point?)

The nautilus line is imho the best sports watch ever made , the AP RO takes a back seat because of the lack of WR.

But the 5740 dial and complication are straight up incredible.
this perpetual calendar complication with an automatic movement while also super thin is among pateks greatest creations . The crispness and color of the dial is so right. The micro rotor is exactly what you would want in this watch for its beauty and thinness.

Anther notable difference is the gradient dial of the 5811. It is a bit more extreme than I’m used to.

I would pick the 5740… but I could see it sitting in a draw too often because of the lack of WR and eventually being moved on for something else. It is perfect in every other way and is like a collection of greatest watches rolled into one and executed exactly right.

Based on the above Clearly I am crazy so consider my thoughts for entertainment value

Thank you again Subtona for an insightful and thoughtful reply… I really appreciate you all trying to help with the decision… it really is a difficult choice… clearly we are all crazy for being on this forum and overthinking these things so much!!

Tonski74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:44 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Here is a photo of my current PP lineup…. I figured a photo alongside Ichiran’s might help… thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

Very impressive collection.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:58 AM   #35
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

With that collection def. the 5811.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 08:19 AM   #36
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I would make the opposite argument. The 5712 1a is the best daily Nauti imo, and will always be better for daily wear than the WG 5811. With a collection of some of the best Pateks, why add the simple 5811 when you can add the only GC Nautilus? The 5740 and 5712 are the best modern Nautilus. You can have them both. I would not hesitate…
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 05:16 PM   #37
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
This is easy: Get the 5740 and trade your 5712 for a 5711 (blue or white or green) or 3700.
I think this idea is not bad at all!
Old 19 February 2024, 05:42 PM   #38
MangoTree1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
I would make the opposite argument. The 5712 1a is the best daily Nauti imo, and will always be better for daily wear than the WG 5811. With a collection of some of the best Pateks, why add the simple 5811 when you can add the only GC Nautilus? The 5740 and 5712 are the best modern Nautilus. You can have them both. I would not hesitate…
Answer: Because it`s simple! The 5811 is perfect because it`s simple!
MangoTree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 06:49 PM   #39
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
This is easy: Get the 5740 and trade your 5712 for a 5711 (blue or white or green) or 3700.
Agree as long as OP is willing to sell any of his watches. IMO 5740 + steel 3700 or 5711 is the best two Nautilus combo.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 08:43 PM   #40
Partekular
"TRF" Member

In favour of the 5811 -2 piece case design, wonderful hefty weight of the white gold on the wrist and thinness of the case.

Against - perhaps too easily identifiable on the city streets - but that applies to the whole Nautilus and Aquanaut collections. Wear long sleeves!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 02:40 PM   #41
byow
"TRF" Member

OP, in your case, I think the 5740 is the best timepiece to get now.

Your AD will offer you the 5811 again later, should you wish to have it. They could hardly do so for the 5740 if it were to be discontinued.

Do not worry about the 60m WR: as long as you take your timepiece to your AD for a check, it will be fine even for « light » diving (around 10 meters) : I do this regularly and never had any problem.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:53 PM   #42
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
OP, in your case, I think the 5740 is the best timepiece to get now.

Your AD will offer you the 5811 again later, should you wish to have it. They could hardly do so for the 5740 if it were to be discontinued.

Do not worry about the 60m WR: as long as you take your timepiece to your AD for a check, it will be fine even for « light » diving (around 10 meters) : I do this regularly and never had any problem.
I suggest you may be mistaken about the future availability of the 5811. If PP increase production it will damage the exclusivity and hence the market value. PP will lose its status in the luxury market if it mass produces like Rolex. This approach is confirmed by TH himself.

https://www.watchpro.com/scarcity-of...thierry-stern/
Old 20 February 2024, 11:26 PM   #43
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoTree1 View Post
Answer: Because it`s simple! The 5811 is perfect because it`s simple!
This.

Tonski, in this scenario, I'd recommend going for the 5811. Owning a 5740 myself, I understand the allure of complications and dial. However, the pure simplicity of the 5811 is an essential addition to any collection like yours. Trust me, once you add it, you'll see why.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 11:33 PM   #44
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Building a collection isn't always about purchasing the most expensive pieces. It's a fun thread: the simplest Nautilus competing against the most complicated one.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:36 AM   #45
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I suggest you may be mistaken about the future availability of the 5811. If PP increase production it will damage the exclusivity and hence the market value. PP will lose its status in the luxury market if it mass produces like Rolex. This approach is confirmed by TH himself.

https://www.watchpro.com/scarcity-of...thierry-stern/
Increase of the production is not the point here, and was not my point either.

Should the OP remain in the same category as a customer, he will be able to purchase a 5811 later, should the OP so wish.

Edit: Despite its scarcity, I have been offered by ADs a 5811 on several occasions already.
Old 21 February 2024, 07:09 AM   #46
Oryx
"TRF" Member

5740 without doubt - to me it’s the perfect nautilus. Great complication in a perfectly sized case (both diameter and thickness) with the best dial colour of any nautilus I have ever seen.

Tbe white gold of the case is also quite unique with a greyish tint which works perfectly well.

5811 is in contrast a bit mundane.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:16 AM   #47
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

The 5740 💯
The 5811 is lovely also but you might find it a bit too boring after a while compared with the rest of your wonderful collection. What a nice problem to have! Do post pics when you decide 👍
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:44 PM   #48
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

You have an amazing collection and I think 5811G will compliment it really well. Also, I've seen / tried on both the 5740 and 5811 IRL, and 5811 felt more special.

Quote:
Here is a photo of my current PP lineup…. I figured a photo alongside Ichiran’s might help… thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:38 PM   #49
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I don't really understand some of the comments here but there are certainly those who lust after the 5740. Not me. Personally, I don't want or need a PC in a Nautilus. If this is of interest to you, then you should go for it. It is definitely unique in many ways (though case material is not one of them). I think your current PC is better suited. The 5811 is certainly more classic and I wear it quite regularly. I want to see the dial, which is part of what the line is all about, and would rather it not overtaken by sub-dials.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:49 AM   #50
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Increase of the production is not the point here, and was not my point either.

Should the OP remain in the same category as a customer, he will be able to purchase a 5811 later, should the OP so wish.

Edit: Despite its scarcity, I have been offered by ADs a 5811 on several occasions already.
That is interesting. ‘Offered a 5811 on several occasions’.

Has PP increased production of the 5811 contrary to what Stern said he would do?

If Stern does restrict the production then, as I implied, the poster should buy one while he can not risk trying to come back later as you suggested.

If production is being ramped up to profiteer and squeeze the grey market then this might be the time to sell?
Old 22 February 2024, 06:49 AM   #51
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is interesting. ‘Offered a 5811 on several occasions’.

Has PP increased production of the 5811 contrary to what Stern said he would do?

If Stern does restrict the production then, as I implied, the poster should buy one while he can not risk trying to come back later as you suggested.

If production is being ramped up to profiteer and squeeze the grey market then this might be the time to sell?
Because I declined several times a 5811, you infer that PP ramped up the production. I can tell you that there is no correlation nor causality there, and that your conclusion is incorrect as far as I can tell.

As I said, a customer like the OP, should he remain in the same category, will be able to get a 5811 later on, if he so desires, whereas I do not have the feeling that he could get a 5740 from PP if it were to be discontinued.
Old 22 February 2024, 09:07 AM   #52
dauster
"TRF" Member

I just saw the 5811 in person and I must say I would way rather pick the 5740. Having seen both in person the 5740 is an absolute stunner.
But can't go wrong here.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 10:34 AM   #53
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
Dream collection. No doubt 5740, then down the line sell 5712 for 5811.
Old 22 February 2024, 08:51 PM   #54
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I declined several times a 5811, you infer that PP ramped up the production. I can tell you that there is no correlation nor causality there, and that your conclusion is incorrect as far as I can tell.

As I said, a customer like the OP, should he remain in the same category, will be able to get a 5811 later on, if he so desires, whereas I do not have the feeling that he could get a 5740 from PP if it were to be discontinued.
You may have a point.

Mr Stern has previously said that he wants to control and restrict SS production as it threatens the PP precious metal vibe. Perhaps he intends to increase production of the 5811 in WG? The much higher price point might well drive away the SS market flippers and reduce the long Nautilus waiting lists which lead to with increases in frustrated potential purchasers and risk driving away PP brand lovers?

Time will tell. ;-)
Old 22 February 2024, 09:58 PM   #55
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Eventually OP will get both anyway, it just a matter of which one he buys first! so no point arguing which is better. Just depends which one comes first.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 10:07 PM   #56
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Given the collection, frankly it would be both.

Although I would pick the 5740 first. Technically it is a masterpiece for its segment. PC, micro rotor, in a case thinner than a 5712, in WG, with that beautiful blue hue dial.

Its pinnacle Patek in the sports watch segment, goes to show what Patek is capable of. I am on the side of preferring a PC or PCC in a dress watch, but this is a big exception.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 10:53 PM   #57
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
You may have a point.

Mr Stern has previously said that he wants to control and restrict SS production as it threatens the PP precious metal vibe. Perhaps he intends to increase production of the 5811 in WG? The much higher price point might well drive away the SS market flippers and reduce the long Nautilus waiting lists which lead to with increases in frustrated potential purchasers and risk driving away PP brand lovers?

Time will tell. ;-)
I was under the impression that Mr. Stern would rather sell as many 5811s as he wants for $70k in WG rather than $30k in SS mainly because PP makes tons more money and still keeps the basic Nautilus as a hard-to-get halo watch.
Old 22 February 2024, 11:01 PM   #58
Partekular
"TRF" Member

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/lif...-thierry-stern

https://timeandtidewatches.com/we-ma...nautilus-5811/
Old 22 February 2024, 11:23 PM   #59
bourgognebob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Very impressive collection.
Very impressive indeed. I’d honestly sell the 5712 and put some cash in and buy the 5811 then buy the 5740 at retail.
bourgognebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:07 AM   #60
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Problem with the 5712 is the pushers make it less water resistant at 60m where as a perfect “daily” you would want 100m more or less.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote