The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 August 2023, 02:22 AM   #1
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
RSC polish at service - or not?

I'm getting ready to send in my 2008 16610LN for RSC service. Nothing is wrong other than it is 15 yrs old and has gotten the majority of wrist time over the last 10 yrs or so (lately been mixing it up a bit more with the others). It's running right around +6 secs/24 hrs - so just about on the upper end of the spec. I know some will say it doesn;t need service, and others will. I'd prefer not to wear it until something breaks as that tends to be more expensive (generally I think). Overall, it is in excellent condition without major scratches/gouges etc. So, I'm inclined to say no to having them polish it - what say you?
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 02:50 AM   #2
saxo3
"TRF" Member

RSC polish at service - or not?

Only you can decide. If you are happy with the watch as it is then don't get it polished. Anyhow, RSC service includes polishing w/o additional cost and it will come back like new.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 05:03 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm in favor of a periodic clean, oil, and adjust service for any mechanical machine.

As far as refinishing, personal choice. I think that if you are going through the trouble to have it cleaned inside, why not the outside too.
Old 18 August 2023, 05:06 AM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

This obsession with polishing or not is nuts. I’ve had a 1675, Kermit & Big Block polished by RSC. All superb jobs. If it’s your watch & you want it looking like new then absolutely do it.
Old 18 August 2023, 07:03 AM   #5
Ron P
"TRF" Member

@ Rootbeer: Yes, I fully agree, they do in general a great job, comes back looking stunning again.
I never understand why a valuable watch should look like an old wreck. They should be proud on having it looking great and showing off you gave it all the needed attention to look great, properly maintained and not scratched all over with died lume and a bracelet that bend 90 degrees down from wear an play in the links of scratched, chipped glasses.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 10:14 AM   #6
DanCav
"TRF" Member

No! Too many horror stories, just leave it and clean it yourself. Polishing should be done only when it is necessary and it does not sound like this is the case.
DanCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 10:48 AM   #7
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Just got my 2008 116710 back and yes, I got it polished. It looks amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 02:46 PM   #8
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I recently sent my 16014 Datejust to an Independent, it’s been gone since 6-24 so I’m expecting it back anytime now. I chose to have it polished. I’m honestly not worried about a thing, I’ve been following their work for years now and it’s some of the best I’ve seen. It’s not like my Datejust is ever going to ascend into the collectibility category of some Subs or Daytonas that polishing would crush their non polished values. I wanted it to look it’s best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 03:44 AM   #9
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
thanks for all the feedback. I went with a "light" polish. We'll see in about 8 weeks or so
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:40 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Only you can decide. If you are happy with the watch as it is then don't get it polished. Anyhow, RSC service includes polishing w/o additional cost and it will come back like new.
Agreed.
Though I think here in OZ a polish is still an additional cost option, but I could be entirely wrong about that.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:45 PM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
thanks for all the feedback. I went with a "light" polish. We'll see in about 8 weeks or so
Keep in mind that Rolex will polish according to their standard and there is only the minimum work done to achieve that.
If it needs a light polish, that's what it will get.
It it needs considerably more up to the point of including laser welding, that's what it will get.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:58 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
I'm getting ready to send in my 2008 16610LN for RSC service. Nothing is wrong other than it is 15 yrs old and has gotten the majority of wrist time over the last 10 yrs or so (lately been mixing it up a bit more with the others). It's running right around +6 secs/24 hrs - so just about on the upper end of the spec. I know some will say it doesn;t need service, and others will. I'd prefer not to wear it until something breaks as that tends to be more expensive (generally I think). Overall, it is in excellent condition without major scratches/gouges etc. So, I'm inclined to say no to having them polish it - what say you?
Today there is a anti polish syndrome god know why, as long as any RSC polish/light polish is done correctly then no problem. Picture below of my own late 1990s early 2000 16600 SD. Used as a real working tool for many years underwater. And would expect it has seen more use and sometimes abuse that todays mainly pampered watches will see in 10 lifetimes. Plus its been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide now 22 years old and still fully working and ticking strong.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:01 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you like the looks then I would not have it polished.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:19 AM   #14
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today there is a anti polish syndrome god know why, as long as any RSC polish/light polish is done correctly then no problem. Picture below of my own late 1990s early 2000 16600 SD. Used as a real working tool for many years underwater. And would expect it has seen more use and sometimes abuse that todays mainly pampered watches will see in 10 lifetimes. Plus its been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide now 22 years old and still fully working and ticking strong.

Amazing watch …… quite frankly my favorite of any model Rolex has ever produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2023, 07:52 AM   #15
krounchou
"TRF" Member

Very personal...
Just got back my 16570 white dial from RSC (AD) after a 3 weeks period for full service.
My watch was almost like new despite its age (13 years) so I decided not to polish it. Very happy with my watch like this, all new inside and lightly used outside
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote