The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 October 2023, 06:27 PM   #3121
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinb View Post
At the bottom of the box. Left and right are little drawers.
The little drawers on mine were empty. There were no extra full or 1/2 sized links in those drawers.

Mike said he had some he could send, but he's out until the end of the month.

However, if these are supposed to be in the box from the get-go, they are missing in mine.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 08:08 PM   #3122
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Offered, but not included, as in the VC Overseas.
A bracelet and one strap is included with Czapek. If you desire more they are available. Rolex does not even offer such options, and Patek, Bvlgari, Cartier, etc do not even offer such 'extras' on some models. My point being, it depends on the manufacture, and perhaps even the specific model.

Though yes, it would be great if, for example, Rolex included a bracelet and three different color rubber straps, plus a leather strap for good measure.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 08:47 PM   #3123
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The little drawers on mine were empty. There were no extra full or 1/2 sized links in those drawers.

Mike said he had some he could send, but he's out until the end of the month.

However, if these are supposed to be in the box from the get-go, they are missing in mine.
Oky. Maybe Mike can help on this. Is the half links supposed to be in the box?

I ordered directly from Czapek. We don't have an Czapek Agent in South Africa. I did not specifically request them but did receive them.
Heinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 10:02 PM   #3124
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Before we had the microadjuster, we were including a 1.5 link.

Once the microadjuster came, we stopped that.

We do offer 7mm (vs 9mm regular) and 11mm links at $50 each.

We only have them for the new screwed bracelet, we've no more for the older push pin bracelet.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 11:00 PM   #3125
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
Before we had the microadjuster, we were including a 1.5 link.

Once the microadjuster came, we stopped that.

We do offer 7mm (vs 9mm regular) and 11mm links at $50 each.

We only have them for the new screwed bracelet, we've no more for the older push pin bracelet.
Thanks Mike.
Heinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 02:13 AM   #3126
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
A bracelet and one strap is included with Czapek. If you desire more they are available. Rolex does not even offer such options, and Patek, Bvlgari, Cartier, etc do not even offer such 'extras' on some models. My point being, it depends on the manufacture, and perhaps even the specific model.

Though yes, it would be great if, for example, Rolex included a bracelet and three different color rubber straps, plus a leather strap for good measure.
Yes, but I'm not talking about Rolex or Patek or anyone else am I.

I specifically said VC offers both rubber and leather strap, included, when you buy the Overseas and that it would be nice if Czapek did the same.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:05 PM   #3127
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So early opinions:

POSITIVES

1. The watch is beautiful. It is aesthetically the most beautiful watch I own, which I know, doesn't mean anything to anyone else. However, I own Rolexes, ALS, GSs, Omegas, IWC, GO, and the Antarctique is beautiful. The pale blue of the dial, the indices, the facets of the case flanks, the bracelet design, and movement (modern design elements with attention to detail in the finishing)....it's a killer combination.

2. The bracelet is a beautiful design. The C style motif, the rather severe but smooth taper, how it flows into the case is very well done. I also like how it's thin and not bulky. I know this is not to everyone's liking, but the thinness is a plus for me. It aids in the sophistication of what is otherwise a sports watch. This makes the overall package very versatile. It's both dressy and sporty, so really a one-watch collection worthy watch.

3. The movement, in addition to being a beautiful movement, albeit in a way completely opposite from, let's say, my ALS, has been spot on in accuracy. Literally it has been 0 spd out of the box. This has not been the case with other watches I have purchased. Some I have had to immediately return to the AD for re-adjustment, sometimes taking months to get it back, only for it to return still not at its peak accuracy. So for this watch to be so accurate to date is so refreshing.

4. The micro-adjust is a welcome addition. It's very similar to how Vacheron does it on the Overseas in that it's an extension via the links on either side of the clasp. Where this one is superior to the VC is that you have to press two buttons on either side to activate the extensions. This makes it much more secure. It pulls out only when you want it to. I have heard that on the Overseas, sometimes the extensions pull out themselves as they are held in place by friction. The Czapek system is more secure.

5. Overall, the watch wears almost like it's made of Ti instead of SS. It's that light. It feels almost like a different alloy of SS.

6. Size-wise, it actually wears smaller than one would expect a 40mm watch, in a tonneau-like shape, with an integrated bracelet design, should wear. I have a 7.25 inch wrist, and it just wears, or at least appears to wear from my vantage point, smaller than I had expected.

NEGATIVES

1. The negatives are few for now, but they mostly focus on the bracelet/strap and system. As nice and thin as the bracelet is, and as beautiful as the C motif is, I think Czapek could take one step further in bracelet finishing. I understand that the sharpness of the links might have been what Czapek was going after, I still think all the facets of the links should have been chamfered a bit more. The edges are too sharp and too abrupt in my opinion.

Yes, that would create some issues as to how the bracelet matches with the design of the case, but I think some kind of aesthetic solution could be found. Perhaps a brushed chamfer might have worked. The interiors of the links could have used a polished chamfer at least for those who chose the polished/brushed link option (they rounded the inside parts of the links, but outside polished chamfering would have been nice), but in any case, I thought a little more refinement could have been done.

2. As good as the micro-adjust feature is, I think either 1/2 links should have been offered to really dial-in the fit, or have one intermediate step for each side of the micro-adjust. 1/2 links would really be nice.

3. The system that attaches the strap and bracelet to the case needs more refinement. What I mean is that when locked into place, both the bracelet, but especially the strap, has a lot of play or movement. I don't know if this is intentional, but I prefer a tighter integration between the bracelet/strap and the case. BTW, the play occurs at the top of the first "C" which is where the hook is located and which attaches to the bar on the case.

The locking mechanism makes sure the bracelet and strap do not fall off, but it feels loose.

This is a relatively minor thing. The looseness does make it easier for the bracelet to conform around the wrist. Those with wider wrists won't even notice as the bracelet will flare out, and the play will be minimal. That's how it feels on my wrist by the way.

4. Czapek should offer a calf-skin or leather strap option too, like VC does with the Overseas.

5. The clasp for the rubber strap does not have a micro-adjust. Since this type of strap requires it to be cut to size, once cut, there is no ability to fine-tune or adjust the size (i.e., like an Omega-style strap/deployant combination). I think a micro-adjust on the clasp would provide some leeway on where to cut your strap. This is a peace-of-mind kinda thing too as a mistake is a $1000 mistake.

6. The links are held in place by a hybrid screw/pin system. The screws just make sure the pins to not slip out. It's kind of a cap on top of the pin. I would have preferred an entire screw as the screw cap is tiny and would be hard to find if you dropped it. The system works, but it's kind of the worse of both worlds....a screw that might back out, and a pin system that requires you to push out the pin (need a tool for that).

I understand that watchmakers like Patek switched to pins and sleeves on the 5711/5811 because, according to them, if you have a thin bracelet, the type of screws you would need would be prone to stripping or would be so small as to lead to a greater chance of scratching the screw heads and/or bracelet. Not sure if that is true, but if it is, Czapek using screw caps on top of the pins, wouldn't exactly avoid that issue.

As I wear the watch on both bracelet and strap, I'll see if any more positives or negatives spring up.
Thanks for the thoughts! I generally agree, though the tiny bit of wobble in the end links doesn't bother me and my small wrist appreciates the flexibility. I also presume that there is a reason for the combined pin + screw model, and it doesn't bother me.

I agree that it would be nice if the rubber strap clasp had a micro adjustment or some type of fine adjustment. Some deployants have two options to place the rubber strap instead of one, for finer adjustment.

I don't mind that it doesn't come on a leather strap. I think the rubber looks so much nicer anyway, and it is too sporty to wear on leather for me. (I think the same is true for VC... I'm not sure I would use the leather that often.) The option to purchase seems good enough, especially if it keeps the overall package a bit cheaper.

Regarding weight, I would say on the bracelet it feels fairly typical. Definitely not as light as titanium, which I own watches which are 50% lighter with titanium. On the rubber strap it does feel quite light and comfortable, and it sheds ~50g, so a good chunk of its weight.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 01:47 AM   #3128
btwistround
"TRF" Member

I'm keen on the Czapek. Been watching for a while and it's slowly moving towards the centre on my radar now.

What's the servicing intervals and where? Can a normal watchmaker service it or have to be sent back to HQ?
btwistround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 04:02 AM   #3129
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Incoming new release of czapek soon ..

insider info : onyx dial
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 05:46 AM   #3130
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Love onyx dials
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 06:48 AM   #3131
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post

Oh damn... that's gonna be amazing.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 07:09 AM   #3132
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I wonder if it will be a limited edition?
Old 27 October 2023, 07:47 PM   #3133
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Oh damn... that's gonna be amazing.
going to be limited edition for sure! I wonder which model they will utilize it in though... with the backlog in Antarctiques, not sure if they will use it there...
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 06:48 AM   #3134
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post

This might be a middle eastern retailer's own store LE.
This might be announced at Dubai Watch Week.

But who can be sure?

:)
Old 28 October 2023, 06:56 AM   #3135
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Sapphire index with onyx dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 11:00 PM   #3136
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quiet here the last couple of weeks, so let me ask a question:

If you had carte blanche at Czapek's design table, what would you make?

New movement, new color, new what?
Old 13 November 2023, 12:29 AM   #3137
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Dual time !
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 01:02 AM   #3138
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Dual time !

X2

charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 01:15 AM   #3139
TopSlice
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, P39
We will be seeing a full rose gold ANTARCTIQUE soon
TopSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 01:17 AM   #3140
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSlice View Post
We will be seeing a full rose gold ANTARCTIQUE soon
I just hope it’s not for 2027 delivery
Old 13 November 2023, 01:19 AM   #3141
TopSlice
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, P39
Quote:
I just hope it’s not for 2027 delivery

I think delivery next year, maybe q4 2024/q1 2025.
Probably only be say 30 pieces.

Blue dial also so will be nice as rose and blue is lovely.

TopSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 01:25 AM   #3142
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSlice View Post
I think delivery next year, maybe q4 2024/q1 2025.
Probably only be say 30 pieces.

Blue dial also so will be nice as rose and blue is lovely.

Sounds magnificent !

Old 13 November 2023, 01:32 AM   #3143
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

Whatever they make in the future, perhaps they could come out with fewer limited editions - as every one of their beautiful pieces is limited - when compared to larger brands. Seeing so many beautiful limited editions makes them less available and perhaps less special.

For example, why limit their Chrono with the Aventurine dial to just 50 pieces. Perhaps, from a marketing perspective it makes the watch more desirable, and it might take a long time before these 50 are sold - but it would be great if they were still available down the road to acquire - and Czapek still being able to offer them - rather than coming up with another limited edition dial and not being able to offer more Aventurine dials - due to the limited one having been produced.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 05:07 AM   #3144
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrasmus View Post
Whatever they make in the future, perhaps they could come out with fewer limited editions - as every one of their beautiful pieces is limited - when compared to larger brands. Seeing so many beautiful limited editions makes them less available and perhaps less special.

For example, why limit their Chrono with the Aventurine dial to just 50 pieces. Perhaps, from a marketing perspective it makes the watch more desirable, and it might take a long time before these 50 are sold - but it would be great if they were still available down the road to acquire - and Czapek still being able to offer them - rather than coming up with another limited edition dial and not being able to offer more Aventurine dials - due to the limited one having been produced.
I doubt they are less special to the people who bought them. And I don't see the problem with limited editions in general. If there is something you miss out on, it makes the hunt for it all the more intriguing down the road, which is half the fun of watch collecting.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 05:24 AM   #3145
chumbleflea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dual time !
Another vote for a dual time, or better yet a Traveller GMT.
chumbleflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 05:32 AM   #3146
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Yes: new complications (eg: dual time)
No: new colors, new LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
Quiet here the last couple of weeks, so let me ask a question:

If you had carte blanche at Czapek's design table, what would you make?

New movement, new color, new what?
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 07:07 AM   #3147
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Dual time, two 'upper-ish dials with power reserve indicator below/between them
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 08:11 AM   #3148
jd57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwistround View Post
I'm keen on the Czapek. Been watching for a while and it's slowly moving towards the centre on my radar now.

What's the servicing intervals and where? Can a normal watchmaker service it or have to be sent back to HQ?
Mine broke after a few months - sent it in to the recommended watchmaker in June and I will likely get it back after the holidays. 6+ months for repair on a new watch is not ideal.
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 01:59 PM   #3149
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

Anyone put in for the 38.5 Sashiko preorder? Those dials are gorgeous and I’m definitely tempted

https://czapek.com/sashiko/
Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 11:33 PM   #3150
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
Mine broke after a few months - sent it in to the recommended watchmaker in June and I will likely get it back after the holidays. 6+ months for repair on a new watch is not ideal.
Yes, it took some time to get the part from Switzerland to our USA watchmakers.

We are pushing to repair asap for you.

http://files.horologyworks.com/14633.jpg