The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 8 December 2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Armis
"TRF" Member

Inking question

I have a Waterman Serenité fountain pen that I’ve never inked. I also have a rollerball version that is my go to. But I’m as much bothered as I am concerned about inking the pen given my limited experience.
I don’t know if anyone has specific experience with the Serenité, but are there any general recommendations for a first time ink I should try?

It’s a bit overwhelming as I read the various people’s experiences and the mention of wetter inks, etc. That being said, I’m not even sure if my question is a fair or valid one given that personal preference probably factors in.
As such, any advice or resources on first inking is much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 11:31 PM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
I have a Waterman Serenité fountain pen that I’ve never inked. I also have a rollerball version that is my go to. But I’m as much bothered as I am concerned about inking the pen given my limited experience.
I don’t know if anyone has specific experience with the Serenité, but are there any general recommendations for a first time ink I should try?

It’s a bit overwhelming as I read the various people’s experiences and the mention of wetter inks, etc. That being said, I’m not even sure if my question is a fair or valid one given that personal preference probably factors in.
As such, any advice or resources on first inking is much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Filling your Waterman is about as easy a process as it gets and it's always a good idea to start with the manufacturers ink. Your pen is a cartridge or converter filled and if it came with the converter that's the best way to start.

Under the hood of a fountain pen are a whole bunch of different pieces parts that work together to regulate how much ink flows out and when. There is what is called a feed which need to get wet before the ink can get to the tip of the nib and filling with the converter helps that happen.

If you also got one or two cartridges then that's the easiest route.

Either way, begin with just water and the converter. The converter should fit on the nib/section and have a knob to turn a piston. Put some water in a glass and submerge the whole nib and very beginning of the section in the water. Holding the section turn the knob on the converter and watch the piston head rise or fall. Turn it until the piston expels all the air then turn the other way to draw fluid in. Practice with just water until you feel comfortable.

I suggest then switching to a cartridge. Simply remove the converter and force a cartridge (fat end forward) in its place. Put the body back on and enjoy. It will be just water coming out at first but soon you should see ink on paper.

Once you get comfortable buy a bottle of Waterman ink. Good stuff. The procedure is just like with the water with one extra step. You will get some ink on the section and you will want to rinse that off. A quick swish under the faucet and wipe down with a paper towel will keep your finger inkless.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 11:11 AM   #3
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Filling your Waterman is about as easy a process as it gets and it's always a good idea to start with the manufacturers ink. Your pen is a cartridge or converter filled and if it came with the converter that's the best way to start.

Under the hood of a fountain pen are a whole bunch of different pieces parts that work together to regulate how much ink flows out and when. There is what is called a feed which need to get wet before the ink can get to the tip of the nib and filling with the converter helps that happen.

If you also got one or two cartridges then that's the easiest route.

Either way, begin with just water and the converter. The converter should fit on the nib/section and have a knob to turn a piston. Put some water in a glass and submerge the whole nib and very beginning of the section in the water. Holding the section turn the knob on the converter and watch the piston head rise or fall. Turn it until the piston expels all the air then turn the other way to draw fluid in. Practice with just water until you feel comfortable.

I suggest then switching to a cartridge. Simply remove the converter and force a cartridge (fat end forward) in its place. Put the body back on and enjoy. It will be just water coming out at first but soon you should see ink on paper.

Once you get comfortable buy a bottle of Waterman ink. Good stuff. The procedure is just like with the water with one extra step. You will get some ink on the section and you will want to rinse that off. A quick swish under the faucet and wipe down with a paper towel will keep your finger inkless.
This is an amazingly thorough and clear walk through!
I sincerely appreciate the details and underlying reasoning. I have the converter so will start accordingly. I do also have a couple cartridges.
I’m now excited to give it a go and improving along the way.
Thanks again!
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 11:20 PM   #4
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Keep us posted on your progress.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote