The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2024, 06:36 AM   #31
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
I think you can make the argument that they will produce even less of them now that they have added yet another SS GMT to the catalogue.
Exactamundo!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:39 AM   #32
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Speculators will be panicking now after expecting a big jump on a “discontinuation” which never happened.
If some one is a speculator let them take the risk. If you buy a watch because like it why worry. Wear it and enjoy it.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:42 AM   #33
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlube1151001 View Post
If some one is a speculator let them take the risk. If you buy a watch because like it why worry. Wear it and enjoy it.
Exactamundo!
Old 10 April 2024, 06:47 AM   #34
Watcher09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlube1151001 View Post
Rolex are marketing genius.They can produce SS DAYTONA or Pepsi all day long if they wish. They won’t.They will produce very little of these models. Remember Rolex survive on hypes.
Exactly. All these people spending 10-20-30k$+ just so that they can get the "call" for a daytona or a pepsi. Rolex knows that this wait(and not just for these models) is an important part of the AD business.
Watcher09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:47 AM   #35
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Of course price will now adjust lower. Supply expectations are higher and demand from flipper cohort will decline.

Will it come back to Earth or earth? Depends on your definition but it won’t come down to near msrp. It may still be a sizable drop from where it trades today but not near msrp…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:48 AM   #36
pessoa00
"TRF" Member

On the contrary. I think it will continue to raise on the long term if it continues to be as rare ou even rarer than the Daytona (that’s the current situation on my current AD who manages several locations and one Rolex boutique - I already have a Daytona and a Pepsi, so no need for them to hype one over the other in our conversations. I hear the same from other geographies).
By staying on the catalog it gives it more visibility on the long term than if it was discontinued.
The discontinuation could have spiked the interest on the short term, but people eventually move on to whatever is the hot novelty.
By keeping it on the catalogue, if production is indeed reduced and ADs are indeed receiving less inventory, people will continue to have it on the top of their list and grey market will take advantage of that imbalance.
Rolex now have quite a number of GMTs with the same bezel basis, which should be easier/more profitable to produce in more quantities. The Pepsi, which is arguably the more iconic gmt, seems to have a different production process and the steel version bezel is shared with 2 gold variations, which should have higher margin. As such, regardless of the difficulty in production rumors, I think Rolex has all the incentive to keep production of the steel Pepsi low and placing it on the same level of unobtainablility of the steel Daytona.
pessoa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 02:55 PM   #37
russ86
"TRF" Member

I think instead of being sold at 20 or 21 the prices will go down to maybe 18.5 to 19
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:32 PM   #38
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
On the contrary. I think it will continue to raise on the long term if it continues to be as rare ou even rarer than the Daytona (that’s the current situation on my current AD who manages several locations and one Rolex boutique - I already have a Daytona and a Pepsi, so no need for them to hype one over the other in our conversations. I hear the same from other geographies).
By staying on the catalog it gives it more visibility on the long term than if it was discontinued.
The discontinuation could have spiked the interest on the short term, but people eventually move on to whatever is the hot novelty.
By keeping it on the catalogue, if production is indeed reduced and ADs are indeed receiving less inventory, people will continue to have it on the top of their list and grey market will take advantage of that imbalance.
Rolex now have quite a number of GMTs with the same bezel basis, which should be easier/more profitable to produce in more quantities. The Pepsi, which is arguably the more iconic gmt, seems to have a different production process and the steel version bezel is shared with 2 gold variations, which should have higher margin. As such, regardless of the difficulty in production rumors, I think Rolex has all the incentive to keep production of the steel Pepsi low and placing it on the same level of unobtainablility of the steel Daytona.
I tend to agree.
Old 10 April 2024, 07:20 PM   #39
z train
"TRF" Member

Why are so many of you assuming production has been reduced? You guys sound a lot like grey market dealers and not enthusiasts
z train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:35 PM   #40
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I don't see the demand decreasing, so I wouldn't think prices would be coming down. It remains one of the hardest to get pieces from an AD. Glad I don't have to play the guessing game.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:44 PM   #41
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by z train View Post
Why are so many of you assuming production has been reduced? You guys sound a lot like grey market dealers and not enthusiasts

With the introduction of only 1 ss sports model, one would think that means more effort will go into the production of current models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:12 PM   #42
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

I really don’t understand the rumour that there are production issues with the red/blue bezel. You really believe Rolex will actually have problem with this? Changes in colour over the years don’t mean there are any problems with production.
Even if there are problems, do you think Rolex will tell anyone about it? Come on
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:22 PM   #43
hojlund
"TRF" Member

actually there are a bunch of ss pepsi in the safe of every AD, grep price will drop below msrp in no time.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:03 PM   #44
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
actually there are a bunch of ss pepsi in the safe of every AD, grep price will drop below msrp in no time.
Grey price will not fall below MRSP on Pepsi
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:36 PM   #45
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

The grey dealers have started to unload their Pepsi inventory. I saw more listed on the dealer sites in one day than in the past 6 months. One guy even posted "2025 discontinued model" LOL!!
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:28 AM   #46
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

No doubt the greedy ones would have held on to inventory but most greys in London that I interacted with have had them constantly in and out the door. One thing is for sure there are less hitting ADs than the BLNR and the VTNR, and the Pepsi now isn't going to drop below the price of a VTNR.

From Rolex stand point this is the GMT with the greatest history and heritage and they will be using the scarcity to lure people to the brand.

If everyone could have one, no one would want one.... and they damn well know it
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:30 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

A slight adjustment at best in price. No way you will see a significant price fall. If you are looking to bargain shop a SS GMT, it ain’t happening.
Old 11 April 2024, 12:31 AM   #48
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
they'll drop but not back to earth.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:30 AM   #49
rickjtx
"TRF" Member

Just checked Chrono24 and I see 647 listings of the 126710 model listed for sale. Is this more listings than normal? If so, then the prices should soften.
rickjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:42 AM   #50
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
100% spot on.

They are just used watch dealers looking to profiteer as much as possible. I don’t necessarily blame them, just don’t go around calling them trusted like we’re good friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly.

Why call them Trusted Sellers. It just a random watch seller that have used watches for sale. Some might have great feedback or reviews, but to label them as Trusted Seller is a bit of a stretch.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 01:08 PM   #51
BruRol
"TRF" Member

Oooft. There are some strange notions on this thread.

Firstly. The ceramic bezels are't painted. Else if you chipped / cracked one you would see a base colour underneath. The colour comes from the pigments, metals and metal oxides added to the ceramic mix before firing. If you chip the blue section of your Pepsi bezel you won't find red ceramic underneath.

Secondly. Rolex have been producing the ceramic bezel for years now, yes there have been slight colour shifts, but to think that they have difficulty producing them is just silly. Changes in shade are more likely due to changes in the supplier of base materials. And there are multiple reasons as to why that would happen (contracts, international sanctions, environmental regulations, cheaper alternatives identified).

Thirdly. Pepsi GMT are not rare. They may be hard to find win some areas of the world but in others they are ten a penny. My 'go to' Singapore Grey dealer currently has 14 to pick from. And that's a restock since the last 5 or 6 they had in. During a recent trip to Japan every Grey market window a walked past had at least one Pepsi in the window. I would suggest Pepsi are not rare, they simply go where the money is.
BruRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:38 PM   #52
mini sub
"TRF" Member

We seem to live in a world where everyone thinks stuff will just stay the same and not change. Its only 20 years ago since these were unfashionable and a 2.5k watch easily purchased by the dull middle management who aspired to have one.
mini sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:23 PM   #53
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini sub View Post
We seem to live in a world where everyone thinks stuff will just stay the same and not change. Its only 20 years ago since these were unfashionable and a 2.5k watch easily purchased by the dull middle management who aspired to have one.
Everything changes with time, that’s how we and things around us evolve.

In your previous posts, you don’t like GMT’s and despise red and blue bezel, so maybe in 20 years time you may come to love them
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:32 PM   #54
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
There’s plenty of them on Chrono24 .. and many UK Grey dealers have them, prices are softening, and of course YouTube and Social Media hype inflates pricing .. still a lovely watch, and I prefer Mark 1 lighter colours -

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:56 PM   #55
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
The grey price is a function of demand and supply which in turn is characterised by trends, consumer behaviour etc. Taking a couple of examples, the Sprite was bought up by speculators purely on the assumption they would be discontinued and not necessarily because they like them. So prices firmed a little and now post WoW they are being flipped back out. Supply is plentiful and so prices are softening. The Pepsi however is generally bought because like them and wear them and so although some were bought speculatively and drove prices a little higher, post WoW they are not being dumped back out so supply is as 'limited' as it was before hence prices are holding well.
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 06:02 PM   #56
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Speculators will be panicking now after expecting a big jump on a “discontinuation” which never happened.
Panicking? What are they going to be out? A few grand at absolute most? I don’t think anyone is panicking
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 12:10 AM   #57
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

It is highly improbable that there will be a significant price reduction. The watch in question is of exceptional quality and is not easily obtainable.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 12:25 AM   #58
seosub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
I think you can make the argument that they will produce even less of them now that they have added yet another SS GMT to the catalogue.
This is logical - more so than most of the speculative comments around prices plummeting.

Also - according to Rolex website, the 70th anniversary of GMT line is in 2025. If you thought there was speculation about discontinuation this year, you should brace yourself for next year.

On top of it being the 70th anniversary, the number of SS variations available will fuel speculation - probably can bet that we will see some changes next year. Coke rumors aren't going anywhere - maybe they were saving it for next years 'celebration'. Taking all of this into consideration, guess the model that will create most discontinuation buzz in February/March 2025... :)
seosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 12:30 AM   #59
OTX
"TRF" Member

Just checked Chrono24 and as of today there are 649 of the 126710BLRO(Pepsi) for sale, 820 of the 126710BLNR(Batman and Batgirl) for sale and 542 Sprites for sale. Based on that, looks like the Batman and Batgirl are in highest supply and the Sprite in lowest. I know it’s not 100% accurate but it gives an idea of supply.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 01:11 AM   #60
mini sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
Everything changes with time, that’s how we and things around us evolve.

In your previous posts, you don’t like GMT’s and despise red and blue bezel, so maybe in 20 years time you may come to love them
I won't, been a Rolex owner for 30 plus years now. I like the 2024 one black/grey. Gave up the colour watches once I left pre school.
mini sub is offline   Reply With Quote