The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 May 2024, 02:19 AM   #1
hogansgoat
"TRF" Member

1968 meters first 5513- correct pip ?

Hey guys, I have a 1968 meters first 5513 that I bought several years ago that is missing the pip.

After looking through the threads and pics, I still can't figure what's the correct pip for the watch. Can someone help me determine the pip that the watch originally came with?

Thanks!

HG
hogansgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:58 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

What is the question exactly? How would you like us to describe it? It's a plastic tritium pip with a flange. If your watch has zinc sulfide lume, it would be nice to find a matching pearl, but that makes it even harder. I am seeing legit pearls selling for $400 these days.

There are pretty good reproductions on eBay for $50 or less. Some are pre-painted in various colors that you can try to match to your dial. Others are unpainted, and you can add your own paint inside. If someone tried to sell you one of those as NOS, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference unless you really have a lot of experience.
Old 4 May 2024, 05:25 AM   #3
hogansgoat
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan.

My question specifically is what are the specific identifiers (metal surround, etc) of the pip that would have been original to my watch?

In several of the threads there are comments like "that is a service pip" or "the pip has been changed." Those comments lead me to believe there are specific identifiers. I just don't know what they are and that leaves me unable to purchase the correct style replacement.

Thanks,

HG
Old 4 May 2024, 05:32 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Acrylic Sub = plastic around pip

Sapphire Sub = metal around pip
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 10:32 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogansgoat View Post
Thanks Dan.

My question specifically is what are the specific identifiers (metal surround, etc) of the pip that would have been original to my watch?

In several of the threads there are comments like "that is a service pip" or "the pip has been changed." Those comments lead me to believe there are specific identifiers. I just don't know what they are and that leaves me unable to purchase the correct style replacement.

Thanks,

HG
It should not have a metal bezel. Also, it should have tritium, not luminova. I'm guessing that the luminova is how most people are identifying service pearls.

But just to be clear, a plastic luminova pearl is a perfectly correct service replacement. Just not period-correct or original. Personally, I would use a color-matched repro pearl before a luminova service pearl.
Old 4 May 2024, 11:10 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Find one like in the photos below. The pip should be fully rounded across the top, like a ball cut in half, and the outer circumference of the pip has an acrylic band which surrounds the inner pip.

The pips with the white gold ring around them came into use around 1984.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dscn1725.jpg (60.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg pip.small.jpg (55.9 KB, 96 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:01 PM   #7
hogansgoat
"TRF" Member

Thank you Aaron, JP, and Dan. The thing about the pics is that I was unable to tell if the outer ring was metal or something else.

I appreciate your time and willingness to help.

HG