The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 August 2015, 08:12 PM   #1
SUB14
"TRF" Member

Rolex Milgauss, still "Milgauss"?

The Rolex Milgauss was introduced in 1956. That's almost 60 years ago, when Rolex started using the name Milgauss. So in 1956 this watch was already capable of withstanding magnetic fields of up to 1000 gauss (hence the name Millgauss). During the years technology has improved (like the blue parachrom hairspring). So did these improvements also affect the number of gauss it can withstand? I think it did, but does this mean it can withstand 2000 gauss, or even more?

In the original 1956 Milgauss (or pre-116400 reference, 1019), did they used conventional oscillator hairsprings, mostly relying on the magnetic shield the movement was in? Or did they already adjusted the movement itself, to create extra anti-magnetic features? And in what way was that movement different from traditional movements?

I can understand that for marketing purposes, it wouldn't be smart to change the name of the watch, to reflect the current magnetic field it can withstand. With the history of the original Milgauss, etc.
SUB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2015, 02:13 AM   #2
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB14 View Post
The Rolex Milgauss was introduced in 1956. That's almost 60 years ago, when Rolex started using the name Milgauss. So in 1956 this watch was already capable of withstanding magnetic fields of up to 1000 gauss (hence the name Millgauss). During the years technology has improved (like the blue parachrom hairspring). So did these improvements also affect the number of gauss it can withstand? I think it did, but does this mean it can withstand 2000 gauss, or even more?

In the original 1956 Milgauss (or pre-116400 reference, 1019), did they used conventional oscillator hairsprings, mostly relying on the magnetic shield the movement was in? Or did they already adjusted the movement itself, to create extra anti-magnetic features? And in what way was that movement different from traditional movements?

I can understand that for marketing purposes, it wouldn't be smart to change the name of the watch, to reflect the current magnetic field it can withstand. With the history of the original Milgauss, etc.
Its exactly 1000 gauss the case is 700 gauss and the hairspring 300 gauss.
If you really want an antimagnetic watch you should buy the an Omega with the 8400 caliber.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote