ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Watchwinder Turns per day

I have read that a rolex day date needs 650 tpd on a watchwinder

Some high end winders have minimum seetings of 800 tpd and 1100 tpd
will this cause stress on the clutch that prevents overwinding?
Are these higher tpd bad for the watch over the long term?
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Short term, no not at all, long term, IMO yes! A winder is meant to similate wrist wear, and while the tube will slip into the barrel to prevent overwinding and damage to the main spring, the overwinding will never allow your watch to wind down, again not a problem. What you will expirience is that your watch will loose time on a winder that is over winding the watch. A watch with high amplitude will run slow, with low amplitude will run fast, a proper winder will allow the watch to expirience both of these and keep better time while off the wrist.

In the long run, any winder is just increasing the wear on the movement which will result in higher long term service costs. Don't believe me, next time you visit your watchmaker, ask him/her what king of winder they have at home!
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 05:43 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowatchman View Post
I have read that a rolex day date needs 650 tpd on a watchwinder

Some high end winders have minimum seetings of 800 tpd and 1100 tpd
will this cause stress on the clutch that prevents overwinding?
Are these higher tpd bad for the watch over the long term?
Just think how many times the rotor would turn in say the average 12 hours daily wearing, a lot more than on any watch on a winder.And no it will not cause any stress on the clutch mechanism thats what its designed for.IMHO watchwinders are not necessary for watches with simple date complications,if it stops it only takes around 30 secs to wind and reset time date etc. Save your money put it toward another watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 06:53 PM   #4
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
I agree with Padi. If you only have date complication why subject the watch to running constantly. MY CSO and GMT go on the winder, because of the additional complications.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 08:15 PM   #5
NitroRacer
"TRF" Member

Watch: M SS WG DJ OYSTER
Any winding on days you would otherwise NOT be wearing the watch is extra wear (pardon the pun). Whether this is negligible or not, you can debate. But, it IS wear...the mistake padi56 is making is saying there are only two options... wearing the watch, or putting it on the winder. I think what SLS is saying, is that there are times (and many of us do it) where the watch is not being worn, it's not on a winder, and the power has gone to zero so it is NOT running.
NitroRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Your Rolex cannot be overwound. The clutch prevents it from overwinding.
Old 12 August 2008, 11:20 PM   #7
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
I really don't understand what you mean by wear? I know of manny people who have watches 30 to 40 years or more and only have minor service upkeep. if they wear them every day 24/7 they could be experiencing way 0ver 1000 tpd. So if my watches are keeping excelent time would not keeping them on a winder for say 800 tpd just keep them steady and going? I have a regulater carrige clock that has been going for over 100 years with only a wind a week.
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Recommended settings of 650 is an average.... not an absolute.

If the minimum is 780 on your winder then the extra 130 turns probably won't amount to a hill of beans in the end..

So, I'm with padi on this one....it won't hurt anything because that is what the clutch was designed to do, but why use a winder at all if you are worried about extra wear...

Old 15 July 2012, 03:37 PM   #9
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @kuwaitinglist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Recommended settings of 650 is an average.... not an absolute.

If the minimum is 780 on your winder then the extra 130 turns probably won't amount to a hill of beans in the end..

So, I'm with padi on this one....it won't hurt anything because that is what the clutch was designed to do, but why use a winder at all if you are worried about extra wear...

Sorry to dig this up out of the grave. I recently bought a winder that rotates up to two watches for two minutes (approximately 15 turns), then rests for six minutes and repeats. 1440 minutes per day means the watch has 180 rotation rounds with 15 turns per session, that's 2700 turn!!!

Now, I'm not worried about wear and would gladly consider wearing any of my two watches 24/7, or simulate it. But, would this "amount to a hill of beans in the end.."? There is one setting for winding non stop, 5 minutes in each direction. With approximately 7 turns per minute, 90 minutes of rotating non stop would be enough to have 650 tpd, should I consider manipulating this instead?
Old 15 July 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Have a look here....

http://orbita.com/database-search/?search=Rolex

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Thanks but that wasn't the question. I know how many TPD my watches need but my winder doesn't have that setting. It turns at 2700 TPD. Should I turn it on for 8 hours a day (during sleep for example). Or set it to non stop for 90 minutes per day (to get 650 TPD)?
Old 15 July 2012, 06:45 PM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Thanks but that wasn't the question. I know how many TPD my watches need but my winder doesn't have that setting. It turns at 2700 TPD. Should I turn it on for 8 hours a day (during sleep for example). Or set it to non stop for 90 minutes per day (to get 650 TPD)?
Given those two choices I would set it for 90 minutes a day.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Given those two choices I would set it for 90 minutes a day.

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 06:56 PM   #14
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks guys but do I need to take one of the two choices? How about choice number 3, ripping it at 2700 rounds per day!? :) Would that cause any damage to the watches?
Old 15 July 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone?
Old 27 July 2013, 05:02 AM   #16
BigJohn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yahctmaster
How accurate of time measurement should I expect from a Rolex Yachtmaster? I recently had it "overhauled" by Rolex and a use a watchwinder set to the proper specifications when not wearing it. My "everyday" watch is a Tag Heuer Formula 1 (sorry!). The Yachtmaster is 7 years young.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 02:06 PM   #17
dwong08
"TRF" Member

Had some experience in this arena so I thought I’d share it with you.

I wear my DD40 228238 daily and have my Daytona 116500LN in my Wolf watch winder. I’ve had the Daytona set at 900 TPD clockwise every 24 hours for the past six months. I didn’t wear the Daytona for two consecutive months and decided I wanted to wear it so I put it on the wrist for the weekend. Come Monday after that weekend I put the Daytona back on the winder and noticed it stopped approximately five hours later. Tried winding it manually 40 times and once again it stopped approximately five hours later. I sent it back to the RSC noting power reserve was only good for five hours and although nothing was detailed in the required work, a service was performed prior to return.

Over winding definitely affects the mainspring barrel regardless of what you read. A Rolex can definitely be overwound. Draw your own conclusion.
dwong08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 05:36 AM   #18
Kit Gerhart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 34mm SS Rolex OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Short term, no not at all, long term, IMO yes! A winder is meant to similate wrist wear, and while the tube will slip into the barrel to prevent overwinding and damage to the main spring, the overwinding will never allow your watch to wind down, again not a problem. What you will expirience is that your watch will loose time on a winder that is over winding the watch. A watch with high amplitude will run slow, with low amplitude will run fast, a proper winder will allow the watch to expirience both of these and keep better time while off the wrist.

In the long run, any winder is just increasing the wear on the movement which will result in higher long term service costs. Don't believe me, next time you visit your watchmaker, ask him/her what king of winder they have at home!
~Scott
I have a Versa winder that cost about $50 a few years ago, which is quiet, and works fine. I use it mainly for a Seiko that sometimes doesn't "make it through the night," with my amount of activity. My Rolex doesn't need the winder. I just let watches run down, if I'm not going to wear them for a few days, or weeks. Anyway, my inexpensive winder can be set to go CW, CCW, or alternating, and has four settings for turns/day from 350-1050.
Kit Gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote