The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2024, 05:26 AM   #1
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Why does Panerai has terrible resale value VS Omega/IWC?

I'll take Rolex out of the context here for obvious reasons ;).

But I've owned many Omega/IWC watchs over the years and always sold them for the grey market prices I had paid for...maybe lost like $500 at max.

I've been watching the Panerai market (watchfinder and other grey market sellers) and I see price drops all the time as stock just tends to sit there...especially for models with $7K+ prices that virtually never move.

I do love the brand and unfortunately, the models I like are all over $7k and hence why I haven't pulled the trigger yet (bi tempo gmt, 8 days gmt/radiomir). I have visited my Panerai AD (same place I bought my sub from) and 10% is max discount they offer on pieces that cost over $10k!!!

With Omega/Rolex sitting in the $8k territory, I wonder if people actually buy Panerai at full retail knowing the resale value is perhaps like 50% afterwards......

I guess the general consensus is if ya want Panerai, stick to a pre-owned piece with full box/papers? Don't bother with retail pieces?

I love my sub but already getting bored with it and the fact that I can't switch it up with rubber/leather straps easily and this is where Panerai is king (strap monster!).

For someone getting into Panerai, what are the best models/series that are worth buying (and some resale value if I dont bond with it in the long run)?

Sorry..not bashing the brand but just curious as I remember years back, Panerai was so much hype (like what Rolex is now) but then the brand just slid downwards....
Old 27 April 2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Simple, buy classic Panerai preowned from a trusted seller. Values for the classics have remained stable or above what they were 10 years ago.
233, 111, 000, 005, 372, 183, 210, 305, 112, 127 and many others.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 10:44 PM   #3
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Simple, buy classic Panerai preowned from a trusted seller. Values for the classics have remained stable or above what they were 10 years ago.
233, 111, 000, 005, 372, 183, 210, 305, 112, 127 and many others.
This is spot on for advice. I will add that while Panerai does lose a lot of value from retail to the first sale/trade it is known what those prices will be, so buy accordingly. As a long time owner of Panerai, with a breakup in the mid 2010's, I have come to peace with the brand. It is not Rolex/PP/AP, etc. And that is part of the appeal. Just like them for what they are, not what they are not. If I had to go with just one right now it would be my 233 Dot. I have a 992 and a 317 that are great but if just starting out and wanting to cover as much ground as possible the 233 is the one. Good luck and keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230221_125407 (002).jpg (65.7 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg 20230221_125514 (002).jpg (67.6 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg 20230221_125435 (002).jpg (58.5 KB, 406 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 11:43 PM   #4
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Why does Panerai have terrible resale value?

They shot themselves in the foot.
They created too many limited additions, then creating another limited addition that closely resembled the previous limited edition, burning the buyers of the original.

Then they took the gun and shot themselves in the other foot with numerous movement scandals.
1 watch with a covered back and a completely raw, unfinished movement.
Claiming an in house movement and increasing the price accordingly when they were made by the parent company.
Removing the hacking seconds.
Pretty much trying cut costs where the shouldn't.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #5
Steve Stifler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Why does Panerai have terrible resale value?

They shot themselves in the foot.
They created too many limited additions, then creating another limited addition that closely resembled the previous limited edition, burning the buyers of the original.

Then they took the gun and shot themselves in the other foot with numerous movement scandals.
1 watch with a covered back and a completely raw, unfinished movement.
Claiming an in house movement and increasing the price accordingly when they were made by the parent company.
Removing the hacking seconds.
Pretty much trying cut costs where the shouldn't.
Ding ding ding. +1!
Steve Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:17 AM   #6
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
What does Panerai have to do to turn things around?

Is it even possible after so many unforced errors?

Do they even care about watch enthusiasts anymore.... or are they quickly becoming a fashion brand?
Trogster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:39 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Resale, or the secondary market, is a supply and demand scenario. If there is demand, prices go up; little demand and prices go down so that they can be actually sold.

Panerai is simply not as popular (in demand) as it once was. Nothing is going to raise resale prices if the demand does not also go up accordingly.
Old 28 April 2024, 08:31 AM   #8
Cru Jones

If you like the watch what does it matter?

Other than Rolex and Patek, watch brands (like cars) lose value (definitely including IWC and Omega ). Each brand will have its exceptions….

In the end, buy what you love. It’s pretty simple.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 09:10 AM   #9
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
Great response!

FWIW, my 233 dot dial, my third 233 in fact, is my favorite all-round piece. It took me a couple $ loses to realize it. :(
Display back, domed crystal, black/dark dial, GMT function, rubber strap, large but not obscene - it ticks all my "dream watch" criteria. If it lost another $4K or gained $4k, I will not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
This is spot on for advice. I will add that while Panerai does lose a lot of value from retail to the first sale/trade it is known what those prices will be, so buy accordingly. As a long time owner of Panerai, with a breakup in the mid 2010's, I have come to peace with the brand. It is not Rolex/PP/AP, etc. And that is part of the appeal. Just like them for what they are, not what they are not. If I had to go with just one right now it would be my 233 Dot. I have a 992 and a 317 that are great but if just starting out and wanting to cover as much ground as possible the 233 is the one. Good luck and keep us posted.
41mm Starbucks
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 09:40 AM   #10
"TRF" Member

Compared to those two brands it’s no much difference
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 11:07 AM   #11
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Buy what you like. I don’t give $&@# about the too many special editions or the movement stuff. I just enjoy them on my wrist. Think about the moaning about the current Rolex movement. Love these on the wrist. Mostly under the radar. Never had an issue w quality. All preowned full sets at great prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3468.jpeg (145.7 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3364.jpeg (127.1 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3330.jpeg (144.9 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3276.jpeg (118.0 KB, 352 views)
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 11:24 AM   #12
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
I don't think people really like gigantic watches right now
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 02:21 PM   #13
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Market is tough right now for the sellers, you would absolutely take a bath if you were to resell Omega and IWC, even bought second hand. If it is not liquid like Rolex/PP/AP, the dealer is gonna skin you alive or not even bother with an offer unless it's a trade for another non hype brand. Great time to buy on the secondary market if you have cash in hand and motivated to negotiate on slow moving stock.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 04:14 AM   #14
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
When I make a high dollar purchase (watch, car, home), I buy it for the long term, not for it's resale value. I know many use watches and sometimes even cars, as an investment with the intent of future resale.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 06:52 PM   #15
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It’s no longer a brand to trifle with at retail… respect its cost vs market value.

What I mean by that is you better really love it, because if you get tired of it and want out, you will struggle to do so.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 07:28 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Other than Rolex and Patek, watch brands (like cars) lose value (definitely including IWC and Omega ). Each brand will have its exceptions….

Panerai has such a unique design language.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #17
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Panerai were hot like around 2000’s I chased them and bought.

I still like some references however marketing/sales got the better of them big time, like really big time.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 09:53 PM   #18
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

Good opportunity to buy what you like at the bottom of the market. Just be on the lookout for fakes. Panerai hasn’t done themselves any favors in that battle.

I’m on the hunt for a 442
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:02 AM   #19
psifox
"TRF" Member

I plan on adding a Panerai to my collection. This is a solid advice I would definitely consider.
psifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:49 PM   #20
Bubblebobble2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
I don't think people really like gigantic watches right now
why I’m seeing 40+mm Rolexes/OMEGAs/IWCs flying out the door?
Bubblebobble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:13 PM   #21
Manlodan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster 168.024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblebobble2 View Post
why I’m seeing 40+mm Rolexes/OMEGAs/IWCs flying out the door?
40-42mm watches are big, and 13mm is thick at the top end of that scale. A 44-47mm 15mm thick Panerai is gigantic.
Old 1 May 2024, 05:37 PM   #22
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

You can still love a watch brand AND care about the resale value. To say that money doesn't matter is the height of snobbish arrogance and pretentiousness.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:39 PM   #23
Cornerwriter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Rolex 1680 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlodan View Post
40-42mm watches are big, and 13mm is thick at the top end of that scale. A 44-47mm 15mm thick Panerai is gigantic.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cornerwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:52 AM   #24
JenaG
"TRF" Member

Love their watches, but when the company was as hot as a pistol, they shot themselves in the foot with too many repetitive designs that the average Watch Buyer couldn’t tell the difference from one to the other. This went on for years.

When it comes to omega and IWC in terms of resale, their values suck as well. Unless you have a snoopy or few other hot ones, they almost always take a 50% bath when you walk out the door.
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #25
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaG View Post
Love their watches, but when the company was as hot as a pistol, they shot themselves in the foot with too many repetitive designs that the average Watch Buyer couldn’t tell the difference from one to the other. This went on for years.

When it comes to omega and IWC in terms of resale, their values suck as well. Unless you have a snoopy or few other hot ones, they almost always take a 50% bath when you walk out the door.

You are not wrong here, buy what you love then it doesn’t matter. If you are buying new always get a discount and you are wise to find it on the secondary used.

Life is short, buy the watch.
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote