The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2024, 08:57 AM   #31
Teksurv
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like the 39mm may be the way to go for you. I have a 8.25" wrist and regularly wear a 39mm Explorer MkI dial. I also wear a 44.25mm Speedmaster and a DSSD (44mm). I have no issues rotating from large to medium watches either in terms of legibility or how it looks.
Teksurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 08:57 AM   #32
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
With respect Kat, keep in mind you will not be trading it for full value.if you don’t like it, you’ll be taking a loss in the trade.

You have to take chances in life. Sometimes they pay off big time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 09:04 AM   #33
MMPutnam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 39
FWIW -
I recently got a 39mm Explorer (MK2) as a simpler, understated replacement of my submariner. I like the look and feel of it A LOT. But I, like many, wondered if I should have gotten a 36 instead. Luckily, I found an AD that had the 36mm and was able to put it on. Without a doubt, it is too small for my taste. I have a 6.75” wrist - BTW. It took seeing it on my wrist for confirmation and there was no doubt at all for me - too small.
MMPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 10:36 PM   #34
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I like the Explorer a lot, I just wish they made it 37mm instead of 35,5mm
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 10:53 PM   #35
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
if you need convincing, do not get it...but if your seeking advice....you came to the right place.

put it on your wrist and if it doesn't sing and make you smile ( like my sub does every time i look at it ) don't, always put them on your wrist and see if they make you smile!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 10:57 PM   #36
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
if you need convincing, do not get it...but if your seeking advice....you came to the right place.

put it on your wrist and if it doesn't sing and make you smile ( like my sub does every time i look at it ) don't, always put them on your wrist and see if they make you smile!

This!

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 10:57 PM   #37
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have learned in my 30 plus years of watch collecting/owning/selling that if I need convincing it is not the right watch for me. When a watch is right, I am drawn to it and I know it is right from the very start. You can wear any watch you want and in any size but I think all things look best when proportional. I have a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist depending on the weather and find watches that are 36mm too small for my tastes. Does not mean that they are not some great watches in that size but just not for me. I would hold for a minute, go look at some other options and then decide. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 11:32 PM   #38
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

I have a 36 mm that I don’t wear very often. I have a 7 1/4 inch wrist and I prefer 39-42 as the perfect size for me.

I don’t care if the trend is for smaller watches. The trend is/was for skinny jeans and joggers too and I’m not going to wear either of those. Millennials
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 11:47 PM   #39
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I’m not going to convince you but I will give you my thoughts.

I have a 7.5” wrist and wouldn’t go below 39/40mm. It just looked too small to me. The 39mm Explorer I bought back in 2017 with the full lume numbers is the one watch I wish I still had. In fact, if it weren’t for the games these AD’s play, I probably buy the 40.

If you can get them side by side and try them both on, I think you might be surprised.

Good Luck
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 11:51 PM   #40
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If size is a concern, the taper on the bracelet to the clasp may not suit you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:07 AM   #41
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

the Explorer I is THE watch, I guess I just wanted to hear from other bigger guys on how they feel about it, size wise.

Someone with a 6" wrist, of course the 36mm will look good.

I could get a 39mm MkII, but then I fear I'll regret not getting the 36mm. But if I get the 36 I'm concerned that I'll end up flipping it for a 39mm.

I may go by the Rolex boutique this week & see if I can try it on again, this time wearing my 37mm Zenith or my BB58.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:12 AM   #42
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ocho1~ View Post
the Explorer I is THE watch, I guess I just wanted to hear from other bigger guys on how they feel about it, size wise.

Someone with a 6" wrist, of course the 36mm will look good.

I could get a 39mm MkII, but then I fear I'll regret not getting the 36mm. But if I get the 36 I'm concerned that I'll end up flipping it for a 39mm.

I may go by the Rolex boutique this week & see if I can try it on again, this time wearing my 37mm Zenith or my BB58.

Go in without a watch! In fact, if you can, don’t wear a watch for a few days. Then try it on. You will get a better idea of how it looks and feels.

Kat

Old 4 April 2024, 12:46 AM   #43
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Go in without a watch! In fact, if you can, don’t wear a watch for a few days. Then try it on. You will get a better idea of how it looks and feels.

Kat

lol, I don't know if I can go without a watch for a few days. It'd be like going without pants for a few days, hahahaha
Old 4 April 2024, 01:46 AM   #44
relix63
"TRF" Member

This could be a never-ending debate. I thought the 124270 looked freakishly small on my 7.25" wrist so I ended up going with the 40mm instead. It didn't take long for me to realize that the bigger Explorer had way more dial than I preferred. Now I'm back to the kid sized, dainty, 124270 and I love it. As far as I'm concerned, it is the perfect watch and it rarely comes off my wrist.
relix63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 01:57 AM   #45
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Yeah, this is a very polarizing subject. Apparently you either love it (36mm Explorer is the PERFECT watch!) or hate it (36mm Explorer is way too small & looks like a kids watch!)
Old 4 April 2024, 01:58 AM   #46
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So as some of you may know I've been desiring an Explorer I for a while now.

Been waiting until the funds had been funded, lol. So got my bonus this past week & now I'm hesitant.

I guess my main concern is that the 36mm may be too small on my large frame & 7.75" wrist. I don't really like the 40mm for some reason.

So C'mon fellow Rolex enthusiast, help me pull the trigger. Convince me it won't look like my wife's/kid's watch on my wrist!

I think you’re making a good choice. I’m in a similar situation. Waiting for some stuff to work out and deal with some other priorities, but in the next few months I expect to put myself on the list for a 36mm Rolex. Still on the fence if it’s going to be the Explorer 1 or a mint dial DJ. Quite different and ultimately I’ll want both. Frankly, those are the only current Rolex models I like. For everything else it’s five series for me.
So yes, classic 36mm is right for these watches.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 01:59 AM   #47
KatGirl

Quote:
lol, I don't know if I can go without a watch for a few days. It'd be like going without pants for a few days, hahahaha

I actually had that same exact thought, as I was typing that. I totally get it.

Kat

Old 4 April 2024, 04:03 AM   #48
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I actually had that same exact thought, as I was typing that. I totally get it.

Kat

Actually, thinking about it, about 10 years ago I did go about a week without a watch. I had gotten tattoos on the inside of both wrist I had to go without a watch while I healed.

Tough times, haha
Old 4 April 2024, 04:32 AM   #49
vlps
"TRF" Member

i have a 6.25 inch wrist and found the new 36mm too small for my liking. I prefer my 39mm mk2
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 04:43 AM   #50
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Too small. If you have any doubt, don't spends thousands until you try out thr exhibition models several times over several visits.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 08:03 AM   #51
davek35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon101 View Post
The dial and crystal are approx the same size as your 40mm.
This is correct!
I have a 7.5 wrist. I own a 124270. All links and attached in the middle spot in the clasp.
Good luck!
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 08:20 AM   #52
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post

I don’t care if the trend is for smaller watches. The trend is/was for skinny jeans and joggers too and I’m not going to wear either of those. Millennials
The trend of the last two decades has been bigger watches, not smaller. The baseline of the previous century has been so-called “smaller” watches. The 36mm Explorer is the perfect size to be included in any well-rounded collection for all but the most freakishly large wrists. Don’t believe the big watch hype, OP. The Explorer dial reads bigger than it is and the watch disappears on the wrist. It’s the perfect daily driver.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 01:43 PM   #53
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So as some of you may know I've been desiring an Explorer I for a while now.

Been waiting until the funds had been funded, lol. So got my bonus this past week & now I'm hesitant.

I guess my main concern is that the 36mm may be too small on my large frame & 7.75" wrist. I don't really like the 40mm for some reason.

So C'mon fellow Rolex enthusiast, help me pull the trigger. Convince me it won't look like my wife's/kid's watch on my wrist!
Way too small for your wrist. Get the 40mm.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 02:11 PM   #54
JRique
"TRF" Member

Please don't buy it, its not for everyone.

Explorer 36mm is the only in line modern Rolex that pays tribute to a vintage one, perfect proportions, vintage feel with all new features, just a classic piece. A watch that does not scream "new money" as gold, twotone, big watches.

Nobody needs a diver as a daily, or a chrono. As for the size, 99% of the wristshots that people posts here they are wearing bigger watches than they should based on wrist size, 40mm watches with 50mm of lug to lug size should be for guys with 8in wrist, not 6-7.

JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 02:41 AM   #55
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRique View Post
Please don't buy it, its not for everyone.

Explorer 36mm is the only in line modern Rolex that pays tribute to a vintage one, perfect proportions, vintage feel with all new features, just a classic piece. A watch that does not scream "new money" as gold, twotone, big watches.

Nobody needs a diver as a daily, or a chrono. As for the size, 99% of the wristshots that people posts here they are wearing bigger watches than they should based on wrist size, 40mm watches with 50mm of lug to lug size should be for guys with 8in wrist, not 6-7.
I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you're saying.....

I like vintage watches & modern watches with vintage vibes, my BB58 & Zenith re-issue are two of my favorites. Those two clock in at 39mm & 37mm respectively, although the Zenith is a tonneau type case, so it wears a little bigger.

As I've mentioned before, I am a very low key guy, far from a show off who want's anyone to think I have money, new or old. I buy my watches for me, not to seem like anything to anyone else.

As for size, I'm a bigger guy: 6'4" about 240lbs, with a 7.75" wrist, so I can easily wear something over 42mm, but I feel my sweet spot is that 38-41mm size. I've got a few 42-45mm watches that lately have seemed too big.

And no, no one needs a diver or chorono as a daily. The closest I have to a daily is my BLNR, but my BB58 get's just as much wrist time.
Old 5 April 2024, 03:19 AM   #56
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing else in that price point calls to me. And if I would get something cheaper, say a Longines Legend Diver, I know I would still be longing for the Explorer I. At this point in my collection, there aren't too many watches out there that I desire.

Guess I don't really need convincing to buy, I know I want one, been eyeing them for a while now. I'm just hesitant on the size matching my size. I don't like how the 40 looks, my other option would be a 39mm MkII.

I also haven't really "saved up" all that diligently. I get a very decent yearly bonus, so I have "fun money" at this moment. Last year I purchased a Zenith A3817 with the bonus.

thinking that if I get the 124270 & after a while it still feels too small for me I can always flip it for a 39mm.
The 36 mm explorer is the only watch I’m left with as unfortunately all my other watches were stolen. It’s a great watch in its current iteration and 36 is the perfect size. The 40 mm version has too much empty space on the dial. It is light and goes with everything. The dial is so simple and balanced.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 03:50 AM   #57
kanton1
"TRF" Member

save your money

Quote:
Nothing else in that price point calls to me. And if I would get something cheaper, say a Longines Legend Diver, I know I would still be longing for the Explorer I. At this point in my collection, there aren't too many watches out there that I desire.

Guess I don't really need convincing to buy, I know I want one, been eyeing them for a while now. I'm just hesitant on the size matching my size. I don't like how the 40 looks, my other option would be a 39mm MkII.

I also haven't really "saved up" all that diligently. I get a very decent yearly bonus, so I have "fun money" at this moment. Last year I purchased a Zenith A3817 with the bonus.

thinking that if I get the 124270 & after a while it still feels too small for me I can always flip it for a 39mm.

If you have to rely on a bonus for fun money maybe you should be saving it
kanton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 04:19 AM   #58
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanton1 View Post
If you have to rely on a bonus for fun money maybe you should be saving it
I don't. House is paid off & both Mrs. & I have good jobs with a very decent salary. We live comfortably, but not extravagantly. We didn't come from money, we've worked our way up to where we are, so regardless of how much we make or have, we still understand the value of money.

I can easily afford the Explorer using just my poker bankroll, but that's my poker bankroll & only for poker.

I'm just not a careless spender. I see my bonus as an opportunity to get something I've wanted, but haven't wanted to spend on. Explorer would cost less than half of my bonus, so......
Old 5 April 2024, 04:36 AM   #59
kanton1
"TRF" Member

Love it

Quote:
I don't. House is paid off & both Mrs. & I have good jobs with a very decent salary. We live comfortably, but not extravagantly. We didn't come from money, we've worked our way up to where we are, so regardless of how much we make or have, we still understand the value of money.

I can easily afford the Explorer using just my poker bankroll, but that's my poker bankroll & only for poker.

I'm just not a careless spender. I see my bonus as an opportunity to get something I've wanted, but haven't wanted to spend on. Explorer would cost less than half of my bonus, so......
Love it - not that you owed this info to anyone.

For what its worth I have 7 inch wrist and have the 39mm MKii. It is an awesome watch - just wish it had glide lock clasp.
kanton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 04:58 AM   #60
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanton1 View Post
Love it - not that you owed this info to anyone.

For what its worth I have 7 inch wrist and have the 39mm MKii. It is an awesome watch - just wish it had glide lock clasp.
Haha, no worries, just tossed it out there for everyone giving the financial advise. I can easily swing it, I just tend to overthink any purchase over a couple hundred bucks.

If I don't go with the 36mm, it'll be the 39mm MkII. I do like how on the 39mm the "Explorer" text is on the bottom of the dial, as opposed to the 36 with it on the upper side.

Something about the brand new 40 doesn't sit right with me, think it's just too much dial.