The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2023, 11:29 PM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Most people would prefer three seconds fast a day.
Old 25 July 2023, 11:32 PM   #32
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I'm pretty sure a good watchmaker can fine tune the timing of your watch to accommodate your persnicketiness.
Old 26 July 2023, 12:52 AM   #33
avera
2024 Pledge Member

My BLRO runs at about -1.5s/day. I have always worn my watch at night too, so that I can see what time it is if I wake up, which happens more and more often as I get older. With this watch, I find that laying it flat for 8hrs a day makes it run at about -0.3s/day. I wonder if the timekeeping is set with the assumption that people will take it off at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:03 AM   #34
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recaro18 View Post
Buy an Apple Watch lol...JK man.

I see a 5513 and 1675 on your profile, are those running within COSC spec?
They both got overhauled about three years ago but have never been worn since. They sit in a bank safety deposit box because I'm too scared to wear them from both a theft and damage standpoint. The five year warranty on my 216570 will run out at the end of August. It is my daily watch.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:50 AM   #35
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
They both got overhauled about three years ago but have never been worn since. They sit in a bank safety deposit box because I'm too scared to wear them from both a theft and damage standpoint.
This is no way to live! Use and enjoy, and let life happen...can't take any of it with you in the end.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:51 AM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Most people would prefer three seconds fast a day.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:59 AM   #37
zi464
"TRF" Member

Don't really care if the watches running seconds fast or slow , what I want to know is around what time not exactly time in minute in second.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:13 AM   #38
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
While 3 seconds either way wouldn’t bother me, what would bother me is that expensive watch you purchased was sold as a timepiece that was accurate by +2/-2 seconds a day - which the watch is not keeping.

Let’s not forget that +2/-2 are Rolex’s parameters - which they bombard us with in all of their advertising.

Yeah, if my time piece wasn’t keeping up with the manufacturer’s claims - I wouldn’t hesitate to hold them accountable.
creepy neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:18 AM   #39
SilverKast
"TRF" Member

Watch: always one more...
LOL, I think mine could be out 5 minutes a day and I'd never notice. I change which one I'm wearing all the time and usually have to adjust when I first put it on. I can't say that I really check the time on the watch all that often - unless my phone isn't handy, otherwise I'm looking at my phone or PC for the time.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:50 AM   #40
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
They both got overhauled about three years ago but have never been worn since. They sit in a bank safety deposit box because I'm too scared to wear them from both a theft and damage standpoint. The five year warranty on my 216570 will run out at the end of August. It is my daily watch.
For one second out of spec you're willing to risk the watch in hands of strangers both for shipping and adjustment. Not to mention months of having it unavailable? For me I'd rather just have it and use it. 1 sec/day amounts to 0.5 minutes inaccuracy per month. Hard to even notice that sort of error difference.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:55 AM   #41
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avera View Post
My BLRO runs at about -1.5s/day. I have always worn my watch at night too, so that I can see what time it is if I wake up, which happens more and more often as I get older. With this watch, I find that laying it flat for 8hrs a day makes it run at about -0.3s/day. I wonder if the timekeeping is set with the assumption that people will take it off at night.

Thats a pretty normal pattern in its wearing and resting position. These 32 movements dont change much in any resting position compared to the older movements where you could see a 4 second difference over night.
Old 27 July 2023, 02:56 AM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy neville View Post
While 3 seconds either way wouldn’t bother me, what would bother me is that expensive watch you purchased was sold as a timepiece that was accurate by +2/-2 seconds a day - which the watch is not keeping.

Let’s not forget that +2/-2 are Rolex’s parameters - which they bombard us with in all of their advertising.

Yeah, if my time piece wasn’t keeping up with the manufacturer’s claims - I wouldn’t hesitate to hold them accountable.
You must be brutal with soda manufacture claims. Clearly I am putting too much ice in mine.
Old 27 July 2023, 06:57 PM   #43
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
For one second out of spec you're willing to risk the watch in hands of strangers both for shipping and adjustment. Not to mention months of having it unavailable? For me I'd rather just have it and use it. 1 sec/day amounts to 0.5 minutes inaccuracy per month. Hard to even notice that sort of error difference.
this.... plus might come back with worse timing than it was before
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 07:55 PM   #44
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
There is no way i'd take a watch to the RSC with +3 s/d, makes no sense. You can probably bring it down to +2/-2 with self-regulation, if it bothers you. For me to take a watch to the RSC, accuracy must go really bad, like -30 s/d bad.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 11:37 PM   #45
rick lee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Batman
Wanted to revive this one. I got a pre-owned Batman from an AD this past Saturday. It's a 2019, so still in warranty, the AD has a watchmaker onsite and adds a year of their own warranty for preowned watches. As this is a new-to-me watch, I'm checking its accuracy every day. Yesterday it was at +5. Today it's at +10. I have some cross country flights coming up, so I'll be resetting a few times. But I'm wondering if this is a simple fix for an onsite watchmaker or will it have to go to RSC if it really stays at +10 or even increases?
rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 12:03 AM   #46
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lee View Post
Wanted to revive this one. I got a pre-owned Batman from an AD this past Saturday. It's a 2019, so still in warranty, the AD has a watchmaker onsite and adds a year of their own warranty for preowned watches. As this is a new-to-me watch, I'm checking its accuracy every day. Yesterday it was at +5. Today it's at +10. I have some cross country flights coming up, so I'll be resetting a few times. But I'm wondering if this is a simple fix for an onsite watchmaker or will it have to go to RSC if it really stays at +10 or even increases?
There are many things that can affect timekeeping in a mechanical watch. Position is probably the main thing assuming it's not years beyond required service. Your watch on my wrist is likely to perform differently because our arm positions and activities are different.

Checking timing every day can suck the enjoyment from mechanical watch ownership as you can fret over variations thinking something might be wrong with the movement. My advice is to wear it and enjoy it and understand it's a micro machine with 200+ parts whose timing can fluctuate.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 12:07 AM   #47
rick lee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Batman
I'm only checking timing every day now because it's new to me. With my other watches, I set one when I pull it out of the safe, wear it for a week or two, put it back in the safe, rotate, rinse repeat. I think +10/day is going to be noticeable after a week or more, just when glancing at my watch on my wrist, let alone checking it against a website clock. I've worn this watch every minute since Sat. other than in the shower or while sleeping. I've been to the gym twice since then, pretty rigorous workouts.
rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 12:46 AM   #48
DJFanUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I've never checked accuracy.... I set my daily a few minutes fast anyway. Life's to short to worry about the odd second
Old 26 October 2023, 01:32 AM   #49
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Rolex means you can own a great timekeeper without having to resort to quartz. But the only way to be assured of that quality is to monitor it from time to time. Props to them for even bothering to try to improve the state of mechanical watchmaking despite apathy from increasingly younger customers.

Without the accuracy standards, a Rolex is nothing but a lump of perceived status to turn heads on Sorority Row
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 01:55 AM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zi464 View Post
Don't really care if the watches running seconds fast or slow , what I want to know is around what time not exactly time in minute in second.
Have to agree thank God my life was never ran to the exact second,and today even watches from China like the Seagull ST 19 mechanical movement when regulated correctly can run within the COSC spec or even this new Rolex spec cost of movement less than $100.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 02:55 AM   #51
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
The fact that 3s/d is already very precise for a mechanical watch is besides the point. It’s about what Rolexes promises to the client.

You should ask RSC, “When Rolex advertises on its website a ‘Precision of -2/+2 sec/day, after casing,’ what does it mean in terms of customer service? Why advertise those specs if Rolex wants me to be ok when those specs are not met?”
Old 26 October 2023, 03:55 AM   #52
matthew P
"TRF" Member

I’d take it to the AD , get it’s positional variance for the different testing positions then take it off at night every now and then to have it correct with an over night spent in the optimal testing position.
No way I’d chance the shipping / time spent away or risk of random damage for those specs.

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 04:06 AM   #53
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I've always been curious how you guys notice your watches are running slow or fast by a few seconds. I understand minutes but seconds... ?
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 09:29 AM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lee View Post
When you say today it is +10, do you mean it is +10 over a 24 or a 48 hour period? +5 per day is within COSC spec. +10 per day is not.

Before asking someone to look at it, which entails opening the watch, you may want to wait a little longer to get a better idea of what it is doing and how the way you store it at night impacts this.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 09:30 AM   #55
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Occasionally I check my watch accuracy at time.gov

My most recent Rolex 124060 when worn is running -1.5 to -3 every 2-3 days...(when off my wrist placed in the 9 o'clock up ) Most consider that very good....

My 2008 Z series GMT ll averaged +1.5 per week.... averaging +1.5 to +5 seconds per MONTH....IF I want accuracy better than that I have a Apple Watch....
Old 26 October 2023, 06:04 PM   #56
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
The fact that 3s/d is already very precise for a mechanical watch is besides the point. It’s about what Rolexes promises to the client.

You should ask RSC, “When Rolex advertises on its website a ‘Precision of -2/+2 sec/day, after casing,’ what does it mean in terms of customer service? Why advertise those specs if Rolex wants me to be ok when those specs are not met?”
Yes thats correct Rolex tests in a controlled environment on a machine to this new Precision of -2/+2 sec/day after casing. In the real world what does this mean well at time of testing movement met the spec .But on the wrist with the owners wearing habits could vary slightly different every day wearing on or off wrist as gravity, mainspring power reserve ,plus a few others effects mechanical movements daily.

So even below movement test would pass the Rolex -2+2 spec.
Position Of Watch seconds Per Day
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 06:33 PM   #57
Seo
"TRF" Member

Not for 3 seconds. All you’ll get back are additional scratches on your watch.

Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 07:55 PM   #58
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post

Agreed
Especially if it's running fast so it's easier to manage on a day to day scenario.
As long as it's consistent and showing precision.
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 08:05 PM   #59
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
3 seconds. I wouldn't worry about it and to me, its part of the charm of owning a mechanical watch.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 08:12 PM   #60
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post

There used to be a watchmaker at Wynn that enjoyed the challenge and offered if he wasn't busy. I'd show him the plot from watchtracker and he'd go back and tweak it. Took about 3 min. My 116713 ran +0.1 spd after that. 114060 was 0.3.

RSC will just scratch your watch and it will likely overshoot and run slow.