The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 April 2024, 05:49 PM   #1
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Jaeger lecoutre polaris

I am thinking of adding a black no date 41mm polaris to my collection
My rolexes and other watches are a bit bling, and I wanted a watch that can be a bit under the radar. There are many things I like about this watch, including the look, the thinness, the bracelet with its two micro link extensions, the water proof nature which means I can swim with it, etc.

I also like that it is a rarer watch to see about.

Does anyone have this model and what do they think about it ?
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 10:14 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned the watch before and it is fine. That is about the best I can say, but for the money, it needs to be better then just fine. Wore well and the dial was legible. Be sure you buy pre-owned, and even then you will take a bath when it is time to sell or trade but if you buy at or near retail you will lose a lot more. So many other watches out there, at a fraction of the price, that do it as well or better. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 11:33 PM   #3
Copasetic
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
So many other watches out there, at a fraction of the price, that do it as well or better. Just my thoughts.
Name some you put in this category, please.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #4
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
You will not beat the value retention of a Rolex, but to each their own!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #5
nicky77
"TRF" Member

This is a well constructed and finished watch. Some say that it is blingy because of the polished areas on the bracelet. One criticism that this watch gets is its low power reserve (38hrs I think). My view is that it is a no date watch and that you can easily reset it if the power reserve runs out, so it is not a sticking point for me.
The pricing for the black no date is good as well, and there appear to be several on the market at any given time.
As far as value retention it is not a Rolex, but then again with the market having changed not all Rolexes have the value retention they once had, that being said that if this is one persons primary goal in this hobby then they are best to stick to the bangles and reference numbers in the brands that are able to meet their needs. Watches like this are more about the enjoyment of horology.
nicky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #6
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I don’t own this watch but do own the (now discontinued) Polaris Mariner. I have it on bracelet but prefer it on the blue rubber strap in warm weather, brown leather strap in cooler weather. With JLC’s quick strap change system it’s easy to go back in forth. Not easy to remove the bracelet though. Not a fan of the bracelet. Have owned numerous Rolexes, and if you like the oyster bracelet this one will be a disappointment. The rotor on the no-date model can be noisy. My Mariner is one of my favorites, will never be sold, but it is a different piece than the Polaris no-date.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 04:32 AM   #7
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
I don’t own this watch but do own the (now discontinued) Polaris Mariner. I have it on bracelet but prefer it on the blue rubber strap in warm weather, brown leather strap in cooler weather. With JLC’s quick strap change system it’s easy to go back in forth. Not easy to remove the bracelet though. Not a fan of the bracelet. Have owned numerous Rolexes, and if you like the oyster bracelet this one will be a disappointment. The rotor on the no-date model can be noisy. My Mariner is one of my favorites, will never be sold, but it is a different piece than the Polaris no-date.

The bracelet now has quick release tabs on it, which make it easy to change on the go too—depending on the model you get or if you get the bracelet later (which is of course pricey). The Polaris that come with both straps and a bracelet have quick release. The models that come only on the bracelet may not. If you buy the bracelet later, you can make sure you get the one with quick release.

I have the chrono and like it on the bracelet, strap, and rubber.

On the question of whether I’d get it again—I’m less certain. I like the piece, but I basically wear it when I travel or go to the beach or the sort and I’m worried about losing/damaging another watch (basically just not wanting to have to worry about it). It’s those times I still want a “nice” watch but not one that’s too nice. When you think about it, that is kind of a terrible reason to have a watch given its price point. But I’m not inclined to get rid of it either given that I’ll never come anywhere close to recouping what I paid—including for the extra straps and bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 08:57 PM   #8
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I think they look great. I am considering getting one.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 09:06 PM   #9
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
In my opinion the simple style polaris looks great. Definitely under the radar compare to Rolex.
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 11:17 PM   #10
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I think the regular Polaris is "meh"...it's a nice watch. Nothing more, nothing less.
However, I did get a chance to try on the perpetual calendar and I was very impressed by it. I'm planning on getting a perpetual calendar in the near future and the Polaris version is at the top of the list (one of my criteria is that it's a sports watch that can be worn daily).
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:02 AM   #11
snowgoat
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a Polaris Chronograph- running seconds with the blue dial. I am delighted with it. Finish and quality overall have impressed and it keeps much better time than my Sub and Milgauss. Purchased with the intention to rotate but in a month I haven’t had the desire to swap out yet. Opened my eyes to other pieces in JLC range I might not have considered.
snowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:28 AM   #12
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned the watch before and it is fine. That is about the best I can say, but for the money, it needs to be better then just fine. Wore well and the dial was legible. Be sure you buy pre-owned, and even then you will take a bath when it is time to sell or trade but if you buy at or near retail you will lose a lot more. So many other watches out there, at a fraction of the price, that do it as well or better. Just my thoughts.
OP, this is great advice. I've tried on a Polaris & I'd describe it as "fine" as well. Also, I can't remember, but I don't think it has a screw-down crown... It might just be push-pull which really is a "best of luck to ya" scenario when it gets wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
You will not beat the value retention of a Rolex, but to each their own!
If the OP is looking for an under-the-radar daily wearer, the Explorer 1 or even the OP line would be where I'd start looking.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:25 AM   #13
Andy355
"TRF" Member

I’ve got the blue face brown strap version and the green boutique edition. Much better made than Rolex in terms of the feel of the piece and the mechanism. Both for sale potentially if interested
Andy355 is offline   Reply With Quote