The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 July 2023, 01:27 AM   #61
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you guys not perchance judging the brand image rather than the creation itself? This is far from tasteless…
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 02:36 AM   #62
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ Agreed LV is making efforts. Ralph Laren's top-line of timepieces over the decades do have some interesting pieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 02:46 AM   #63
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Are you guys not perchance judging the brand image rather than the creation itself? This is far from tasteless…
It's challenging to look past decades of positioning. I appreciate the classic trunk history of LV, but I'm not interested in the brand because of the hip and trendy lifestyle position they cultivated over the last decade or so (just look at what their travel bag line has turned into...).

However, this piece is the best argument for me to rethink the brand. It looks like they're trying to move upmarket and differentiate watchmaking from mass market bags. I imagine many will judge the watch, not the monogram, in a few years if they stay the course.

PS – And, I expect they will. The Richemont Cartier success story can't be ignored.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:45 AM   #64
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:

Yeah. I am. Hard to ignore the brand. And harder to ignore the craft and intention underlying the brand.

charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:25 PM   #65
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Good direction, the brand just doesn't resonate with me at this price point.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 10:31 PM   #66
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That movement is stunning
Old 14 July 2023, 08:02 PM   #67
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That movement is stunning

Agree. Here is a nice picture of it.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 10:44 PM   #68
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
There are two versions of "judging the brand image" IMO:

There's the image/style it's cultivated in recent years, and there's the image (as a maker of luggage, purses, and leather goods) it's cultivated over 100+ years. Dismissing it over the former is indeed silly, as that is purely a stylistic decision. But it's hard to ignore/move past the latter (for me at least): I'm not really interested in a watch from a "purse making" company.

LV, Hermes, RL (as also mentioned) are all "fashion" brands, not historically known for mechanical watches. That makes me biased against them when paying a premium for their logo on either a watch made by someone else or a watch without the horological history of other similarly priced brands.

It's even taken some historically known for jewelry (Cartier, Bvlgari, Piaget, and others) decades to be truly respected as "watchmakers" (vs. makers of time-telling jewelry).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 03:48 AM   #69
news
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
There are two versions of "judging the brand image" IMO:

There's the image/style it's cultivated in recent years, and there's the image (as a maker of luggage, purses, and leather goods) it's cultivated over 100+ years. Dismissing it over the former is indeed silly, as that is purely a stylistic decision. But it's hard to ignore/move past the latter (for me at least): I'm not really interested in a watch from a "purse making" company.

LV, Hermes, RL (as also mentioned) are all "fashion" brands, not historically known for mechanical watches. That makes me biased against them when paying a premium for their logo on either a watch made by someone else or a watch without the horological history of other similarly priced brands.

It's even taken some historically known for jewelry (Cartier, Bvlgari, Piaget, and others) decades to be truly respected as "watchmakers" (vs. makers of time-telling jewelry).
“Purse making” company is so pejorative I wouldn’t take seriously any further opinion on the piece from someone who used the term.
news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 05:21 AM   #70
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by news View Post
“Purse making” company is so pejorative I wouldn’t take seriously any further opinion on the piece from someone who used the term.

I assume (and hope) this is sarcasm.

charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 05:49 AM   #71
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Such a hard pass for me. Happy w their bags for my wife. That’s their space.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 06:04 AM   #72
news
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I assume (and hope) this is sarcasm.

Not interested.
news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 07:09 AM   #73
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by news View Post
And what exactly would you say LV is then (or at least most closely associated with)?
Old 16 July 2023, 02:25 PM   #74
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And what exactly would you say LV is then (or at least most closely associated with)?

Leather goods ;)

I expected this watch to be polarizing. I wouldn’t dismiss it so quickly.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 04:03 PM   #75
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Would be great to find a way to short this watch.

Anyone want to start a market for it?

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 06:57 PM   #76
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Wish they’d made it a geneva seal movement. Could have been a real contender. Not now.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 09:58 PM   #77
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Their high watches have historically been for enthusiasts of the brand, not watch collectors in general, and have never really been discussed here or any other watch outlets. To see this one getting a thread here is nice and the comments are interesting to say the least.
Old 16 July 2023, 10:58 PM   #78
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Leather goods ;)

I expected this watch to be polarizing. I wouldn’t dismiss it so quickly.
Even that's a stretch, as its most iconic designs are plastic-coated cloth, but I digress ;).

And I'm not saying a company, especially one with the resources to "buy" literally any experts in the world and give them R&D and production facilities of their choosing, that makes bags and luggage can't make a quality watch. I'm saying why I have trouble with the idea of buying a watch from that type of company rather than one that's spent anywhere between one and three centuries making watches and only watches.

In other words, I'm not dismissing the watch itself because of its origins. However, I am largely dismissing the idea of paying that amount of money for a watch with a leather goods maker's name on the dial.

PP/VC/JLC/Rolex Marketing Dept: 1
LV Marketing Dept: 0
Old 17 July 2023, 04:09 AM   #79
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Trying to understand.
Is there an image problem with LV that could lead to people making insulting comments about LV owners?

In a horological sense, is there issues with this watch?
How does it compare to others in its price range, like Moser Streamliner, Czapek Antarctique, PF Tonda, Chopard AE.

It is a hard perception to get past that they are not a historically traditional watch making company. It will take time and proper watchmaking skills to be shown.

I've met a few LV high watch owners at LV events, and they have extensive collections. I don't think most looking at VC/Rolex/JLC will considered LV, their past high watches were in 50-400k+.
cy888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 04:48 AM   #80
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

My guess cy888 is some feel LV is a luxury bag maker and little else. Of course they're also a longtime travel trunk makers too. Yes LV has expanded to clothes, shoes, sporty equipment... and timepieces. Hiring 'popular' stylists for added 'flair'.

All things considered, valid assessment of doubt from a 'historical' perspective of LV's watchmaking 'legacy'. Perhaps after a decade or so some doubters might come around. Look at what Bvlgari has done as of 'recent'. LV is not the first fashion brand to dip into 'high' horology. Won't be the last.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 17 July 2023, 07:16 AM   #81
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
My guess cy888 is some feel LV is a luxury bag maker and little else. Of course they're also a longtime travel trunk makers too. Yes LV has expanded to clothes, shoes, sporty equipment... and timepieces. Hiring 'popular' stylists for added 'flair'.

All things considered, valid assessment of doubt from a 'historical' perspective of LV's watchmaking 'legacy'. Perhaps after a decade or so some doubters might come around. Look at what Bvlgari has done as of 'recent'. LV is not the first fashion brand to dip into 'high' horology. Won't be the last.
Excellent assessment. I’ll add that Bulgari at least had the advantage of being in the jewelry business and all big name jewelers make at least some expensive watches. However even brands with very expensive clothing typically have their watches relegated to the “fashion watch” case.
-
Old 20 July 2023, 03:13 PM   #82
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Even that's a stretch, as its most iconic designs are plastic-coated cloth, but I digress ;).

And I'm not saying a company, especially one with the resources to "buy" literally any experts in the world and give them R&D and production facilities of their choosing, that makes bags and luggage can't make a quality watch. I'm saying why I have trouble with the idea of buying a watch from that type of company rather than one that's spent anywhere between one and three centuries making watches and only watches.

In other words, I'm not dismissing the watch itself because of its origins. However, I am largely dismissing the idea of paying that amount of money for a watch with a leather goods maker's name on the dial.

PP/VC/JLC/Rolex Marketing Dept: 1
LV Marketing Dept: 0

I understand your point.

I think the market for this watch, at least initially, will likely be those that already have most other brands (PP, AP, ALS, FPJ, Rolex, etc) and want to try something different. It may have been mentioned, but I don’t think production numbers will be very high.
Old 20 July 2023, 09:11 PM   #83
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
I understand your point.

I think the market for this watch, at least initially, will likely be those that already have most other brands (PP, AP, ALS, FPJ, Rolex, etc) and want to try something different. It may have been mentioned, but I don’t think production numbers will be very high.
I expect most of the demand to come from die-hard LV fans and some from impulse buyers who are just spending gazillions on other LV products who will be shown the watch on top at the store.

If this thread demonstrates anything it is that the watch is polarizing. As said earlier I am one of those who don't like it because it just doesn't look good in my eyes. This assessment wouldn't have been any different if it said Patek, AP, or ALS on the dial.

I may be wrong but I can't see many watch guys with a variety of watches across brands who'd vote with their wallet for this one if the target was to add another watch in the 20k range.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 03:40 AM   #84
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I may be wrong but I can't see many watch guys with a variety of watches across brands who'd vote with their wallet for this one if the target was to add another watch in the 20k range.
Agree they went too high on price. At $12,888 with an additional easy-to-attach rubber strap (six colors to choose from) and included pendant attachment (for a purse or to attach to a LV necklace) it could have crossed over better while providing far more diversity / usage choices.

jmho

Old 21 July 2023, 04:53 AM   #85
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

True, they are traditionally a trunk maker and best known for their monogram bags. Perhaps it will take a decade with the new direction in their watches to gain recognition.
I think their past history of offering fashion watches also affects their image. If they had started with automatics and no quartz decades ago then they likely be in a better place today.

LV also has high jewelry inline with other brands and their own patented diamond cuts.

If we ignore the LV brand, and if this was from one of the new independents or revived brands, would the price point be justified for the level of watch design, finishing and movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I expect most of the demand to come from die-hard LV fans and some from impulse buyers who are just spending gazillions on other LV products who will be shown the watch on top at the store.

The fans yes, they likely will consider this. I've been told that it won't be available for walk in clients, will be viewings by appointment and limited availability.

Tim Mosso mentioned production in the 100's, not 1000.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuUCI...RlODBiNWFlZA==

"The idea is that this is the gateway to LV's higher end watches rather than a point of entry for people cross-shopping an Overseas. The watches that come to mind in this space and price range are the Moser Streamliner CS, the Czapek Antarctique, and the Chopard Alpine Eagle XPS. The LV is MUCH more compact than both and its movement is more refined than the Moser. The Czapek and the XPS are serious competitors that do have many advantages over the LV. That said, the LV wears thinner than the Czapek and much smaller across the wrist than the XPS. A big part of the Tambour's selling pitch is the general fit, thin profiles, and compact wrist presence. "
cy888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2023, 11:47 AM   #86
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Finally got to try...short version, WOW. LV knocked this OUT OF THE PARK on wrist. I'm absolutely buying one!

sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2023, 11:57 AM   #87
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Finally got to try...short version, WOW. LV knocked this OUT OF THE PARK on wrist. I'm absolutely buying one!
Looks great
Which is your favourite dial colour? I prefer the blue but the 2-tone version is quite subtle and beautiful.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2023, 12:05 PM   #88
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Looks great
Which is your favourite dial colour? I prefer the blue but the 2-tone version is quite subtle and beautiful.
Honestly a fan of all of them...and hard to pick between the blue and the grey as they both present very differently on the wrist. My practical side says blue, but my stylistic side says the grey!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2023, 01:48 PM   #89
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I got to try these on recently. My feeling was the opposite and I cancelled my deposit. I’m probably the biggest LV high watch fanboy on this forum and many others…just was not into this despite “wanting” it to be. Jean is creating is his own footprint but I miss Papa V.
Old 3 September 2023, 10:56 PM   #90
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.