The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 2 February 2024, 02:10 PM   #1
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Rolex Submariner Lunette Verte 126610LV review and long term impressions

Rolex Submariner Date 126610LV

I purchased the Rolex Submariner 126610LV from Watches of Switzerland at the Wynn on January 17, 2024 and plan to wear it as part of a weekly rotation. However, for the purpose of writing a proper review, it has been worn exclusively at the time of this post. These are my own initial impressions of the watch in terms of form and function.

Timekeeping
A watch’s primary function is timekeeping. I will be checking the Submariner’s consistency by comparing the time against an atomic clock (time.gov) twice a day for a week. I will repeat this process annually to monitor for significant deviation and to gauge the movement’s “health”. While it is a rudimentary method in comparison to using a timegrapher, it produces consistent measurable results that serves my purpose well. Currently, the Submariner has been maintained at +1sec/day. If I find a significant deviation from baseline over time, it will be posted here.

Watch case
The Sub LV is constructed from 904L steel. The factory finish of the watch case is predominantly Rolex’s signature brushed finish throughout, only varying with high polish finish on the flanks of the case itself as well as the bracelet

The LV bezel is also constructed of 904L steel with the signature Rolex scalloped knurling. The bezel’s side surface is beveled and brushed while the top outline surrounding the ceramic insert is polished. The green “Cerachrom” bezel features partial 60 minute graduations (first quarter fully graduated and remaining in 5 minute intervals) that are inset and coated with platinum. The bezel pip contains a lumed pearl.

The bezel rotates unidirectionally in 120 click positions. This feature is arguably the most essential feature of a dive watch as it is initially utilized as a simple count up timer for monitoring dive time which can then be easily transitioned to monitoring safety or decompression stops as the scalloped recess allows a gloved or wet hand firm purchase to make adjustments underwater.

The tactile sensation of rotating the bezel is buttery smooth with definitive audible clicks.

Lunette Verte diving bezel

Lumed Chromalight pip

Comparison notes: comparing the bezel action to a Tudor Black Bay, I find the tactile sensation of the Submariner to be less definitive (crisp?). I would attribute this to the Rolex having 2x the click positions resulting in a more functional and smoother action (just not as satisfying). This is clearly an area of user preference.

The predominantly brushed surface of the watch case and bracelet gives it a uniform look. While this results in less definition, the benefit is that minor hairline scratches will be mostly obscured.

Watch dimensions
Diameter - 41mm
Lug to lug length - 48.2mm
Lug width - 21mm
Case thickness - 12.4mm

The sapphire crystal is flat with a beveled edge and set slightly taller than the bezel. The latest iteration of the Submariner line features anti reflective coating on the under side of the crystal.

Comparison notes: While I initially thought the effect of the AR was imperceptible, handling it side by side with a non AR coated model accentuates the difference. Juxtaposed to illustrate.

Saphire crystal AR comparison

Notice that the black color of the GMT dial is duller than the Submariner despite both models having the same dial.

Dial, hands, & hour markers
The LV dial features time and date functions set against a shiny black lacquer dial. The seconds, minute, and hour, hands, as well as the applied hour markers are outlined in white gold and adequately filled with Rolex’s proprietary luminescent paint “Chromalight”.

Date window and cyclops

The signature Rolex cyclops is positioned right above the date window and subtly magnifies the date. The date window has a beveled edge and takes the place of where the hour marker would be at the 3 o’clock position.

Seconds, minute, hour hands and hour markers

The dial is surrounded by a minute track that is primarily indexed in white with intermittent thicker lined indexes at 5 minute intervals.

The overall combination of white timing elements set against the gloss black dial results in a strong contrast allowing the user to read the time in various lighting conditions.

The dial is decorated in the usual Rolex fashion with the branding below 12 o’clock and model name with superlative COSC designation above 6 o’clock.

Rolex Crown & Wall of text

Movement
The heart of the Submariner LV is the Rolex Caliber 3235 which replaces the previous generation’s 3135. It features new designs over its predecessor including innovative chronergy escapement (a modified Swiss lever escapement) utilizing lighter components resulting in increased efficiency of kinetic energy transfer from the mainspring. Meanwhile, the mainspring length is increased and fits into a larger barrel that grants an increased 70 hour power reserve over the previous generation’s 36.

Also, Rolex’s paraflex shock absorber (a modified KIF) improves shock absorption. Previous generations of the Rolex Submariner were already robust watches but the increased tech should grant users increased peace of mind when subjecting the watch to more arduous activities.

Rolex caliber 3235

(From Rolex)

Functionally, a fully wound mainspring lasts the full 70 hours as advertised. The date wheel snaps to the next date around midnight. The winding of the rotor is buttery smooth and neither audible nor tactile while on the wrist.

Crown
The Sub LV utilizes the standard Rolex crown and is finished in high polish. The brand’s signature 5 pointed crown is embossed on the cap with 3 bars beneath signifying that the crown utilizes the triplock design. A series of gaskets on the crown stem assembly that prevent water and dust intrusion even if the crown is left unscrewed. Just don’t wind it while submerged.

The crown pulls out to 3 positions for winding, setting the quickset date, and a third hacking position to set the time. Pulling the crown out to any of the 3 positions is a simple endeavor as each position has a distinct position with a tactile click. With regard to winding the movement, the tactile sensation is smooth and barely audible.

Crown front and side view

Bracelet
The bracelet is a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet design with 3 links all brushed with high polished flanks.

Oyster bracelet

The bracelet wears comfortably on my 6.5in wrist. Removable links are secured by screws and Loctite is recommended for added security. I personally use Loctite #222 (purple)

The clasp is a diver style Oysterlock that is a clamshell design with a flip lock that keeps it securely shut.

Clasp closed and open

Embedded within the clasp is the “Glidelock” feature which allows for 2mm increment adjustments up to 20mm allowing it to be worn over a dive suit. If that somehow wasn’t enough, a micro adjustment system is hidden within the clasp and requires the use of a tool such as the Bergeon 7825 to make adjustments in increments of 3mm up to 9mm.

Comparison note: the classic dive extension is no longer available on the 12 series Submariners. Not that it’s particularly needed for the majority of current day enthusiasts even if diving is on the itinerary as 20mm increased length will cover even a 5mm neoprene suit. For you dry suit guys, who insist on wearing a Rolex underwater, wear it under the sleeve, or throw it on an extended length NATO and call it a day.

Glidelock at +0mm and +20mm

Water resistance
The Submariner is water resistant to 300m/1000ft or 30 bar. Which still isn’t safe for a dip in the bath tub for some.

Final remarks
There really isn’t much to say about the Submariner that hasn’t already been said a million times over. It is Legend. The LV variant adding a splash of color to an already iconic dive watch.

Photography by myself, freehand, using Fuji X100
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 02:14 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Rolex Submariner Lunette Verte 126610LV review and long term impressions

Epilogue
For the longest time, I deliberated on adding yet another steel watch to the collection. Especially another sport Rolex which are aesthetically identitcal (essentially). Yet, this purchase is one that is very personal to me. A means of righting a wrong that happened over a decade ago.

You see, I was new to watch collecting at the time and after seeing several posts of it on the daily WRUW threads, I found myself coveting a 50th anniversary Submariner Date 16610LV. I was never interested in a standard Submariner, but how amusing it was that a mere change in color (albeit my favorite color) would compel me so.

Back then, I had never purchased a watch online before and was rather leery of the idea of wiring a large sum of money to a stranger. Therefore, I assumed that a local purchase would be the safer bet. So I set out to every pawn shop and independent jeweler in town in search of one. I quickly came to the realization that while standard Subs and green dialed modern variants were fairly commonplace, the older anniversary Subs were not. Almost giving up, I finally found one on display at a local gold/coin/jewelry buyer, and for a great deal to boot ($4k). I was Ecstatic. The store owner told me it was from his own private collection that needed culling.

Inspecting the watch physically in person, I honestly had no idea what I was looking at other than it was the green Submariner that I dearly desired so I did what any newbie would. I took pictures and shared my find right here on TRF. Sadly despite my best attempts, phone photography merely a decade ago produced images of abysmal quality (I had an iPhone 3s at the time). The replies were unanimously approving which I accepted and sealed my own fate. Returned and made the purchase on my next day off.

My excitement could not be contained. I was eager to share my incoming post on TRF. But first, I needed to bring it to my jeweler (Rolex AD with watchmaker at the time) to get checked out and spruced up. So I dropped it off and started getting the DSLR setup ready. It was going to be epic…

Or so I thought until I get a call 3 days later from the watchmaker telling me that he “cannot” touch my watch because it WAS NOT a 50th anniversary submariner after all, but was instead registered on the database as a standard 16610 that was modified with aftermarket parts.

I was livid. I immediately called the store but no answer. I went back with the watch in hand but was addressed by store staff because the owner was always “busy”. When I demanded a refund, I was told that it would not be possible as there are no refunds and that I purchased the watch “as is”. I had no recourse. I couldn’t possibly afford to pursue litigation and was advised by a family friend (lawyer) that it just wasn’t worth the time or money pursuing.

I was devastated. My only option being to ask my AD for help, to which they agreed to service the watch and restore it back to factory. I then sold it locally at a loss to recuperate as much of my expenses as I could. Did I say I was devastated? Well I was, and the whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth and I took a very long hiatus from watch collecting.

Fast forward to 2020 and the release of the 126610 LV at Watches and Wonders which rekindled my interest. Even more so in 2022 when it was noted and confirmed here on TRF that the latest iteration had a change in the green hue of the insert that more closely resembled the original 50th anniversary Subamriner. Eventually, I caved and decided to express my interest at Watches of Switzerland at the Wynn. 8 months later, I finally have a true LV Submariner to call my own.

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 08:26 PM   #3
ch11
"TRF" Member

That's very interesting.
ch11 is offline   Reply With Quote