The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Watch: A/K,BLNR,SubC,E2
Why does so many people on this site worry about price?

I got into the watch hobby because I liked them. Seems every 10th thread is about how much my watch is worth and did I pay too much. If you need to ask these questions DO NOT BUY WATCHES.
Drives me nuts and is kinda killing the hobby for me.......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the vent guys.

Old 22 April 2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Explorer2Guy
Banned

These are difficult times. A little venting is good.

I like to know my resale value as well but agree it can certainly seem to go against the grain of collecting out of love of these pieces.

Be well, good sir.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's not a lot, just a few who are vocal.

They aren't watch hobbyists/enthusiasts, they are deal chasers. Once they have their "deal", they lose interest; then are off again to another "deal".
Old 22 April 2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Most of those types of posters here were probably stretched thin when they made their purchase so the dollar aspect of it drives them crazy. They need strangers to confirm to them they made a good decision to ease the pain of draining their bank account.

Just a theory. :)
Old 22 April 2020, 09:29 AM   #6
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Agree, at the end of the day something is only worth what someone will pay for it...

Old 22 April 2020, 09:30 AM   #7
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Everybody likes to save money regardless how much one has.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
Old 22 April 2020, 09:32 AM   #8
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Good theory...I bought mine and it puts a smile on my face value=priceless
114060 always wanted a subby thats all it took to make me happy.

Old 22 April 2020, 09:36 AM   #9
t60
"TRF" Member

I posted a question about value today, and don't think I'm in a bad financial position at all. Telling someone "don't buy a watch if you care so much about the price" reminds me of real scummy car dealers that try to make you feel like you can't pull the trigger.

It's not like people can buy these like candy. Money is money, and maybe it's not hard for you to let go of it, but if I'm going to lay down 7k+ on a watch you better believe I'm going to do my research and try to get the best price I can.

If you can afford to pay MSRP go ahead and do it, somebody's gotta subsidize the ADs so I can try on watches.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:39 AM   #10
ngypheap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
I posted a question about value today, and don't think I'm in a bad financial position at all. Telling someone "don't buy a watch if you care so much about the price" reminds me of real scummy car dealers that try to make you feel like you can't pull the trigger.

It's not like people can buy these like candy. Money is money, and maybe it's not hard for you to let go of it, but if I'm going to lay down 7k+ on a watch you better believe I'm going to do my research and try to get the best price I can.

If you can afford to pay MSRP go ahead and do it, somebody's gotta subsidize the ADs so I can try on watches.

+1 Agree,
We need to do some research before we pull the trigger, specially on Pre Owned SS model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 09:42 AM   #11
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Most of those types of posters here were probably stretched thin when they made their purchase so the dollar aspect of it drives them crazy. They need strangers to confirm to them they made a good decision to ease the pain of draining their bank account.

Spot on.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:44 AM   #12
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I agree and the below is worth a read...should hopefully start seeing less of these types of threads because of the decision made by Steve and the mods.

Thank you Steve and Moderators
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 22 April 2020, 09:49 AM   #13
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Look at it this way for the one worried about value this value that.....you buy a car say 30 to 40k drive it for 10 years how much is it worth....does not stop you from buying said car think about it.

Old 22 April 2020, 09:49 AM   #14
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you nailed it. A lot of people spending more than they really should...under a bad set of assumptions.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:58 AM   #15
RobotDoctor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith73 View Post
I got into the watch hobby because I liked them. Seems every 10th thread is about how much my watch is worth and did I pay too much. If you need to ask these questions DO NOT BUY WATCHES.

If a person is concerned about what they are spending then that is an issue with them and nobody should fault or ridicule that person. I see absolutely no issue with that. For many people purchasing a Rolex, their first Rolex, is a dream come true. Also, many do not have the financial means to purchase more than one yet they chose to purchase one. Some are trying to maximize their money. Again, nothing wrong with that. Instead of demeaning a person like that why not celebrate that. If anyone, including the OP, is driven "nuts" because of this then simply scroll past the post.

Maybe I am venting because during such difficult financial times this thread seems to be taking the tone of entitlement. Why not try to show some compassion.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:09 AM   #16
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

@robot I am not ridiculing any one for their purchace just keep the value part of it out enjoy your watch thats what you bought it for sorry you took it the wrong way buddy times are wierd and I am in no way entitled I am a Production Manager in a sign shop...

Old 22 April 2020, 10:12 AM   #17
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I won't overpay for a Rolex. I shop for deals. That's half the fun.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:16 AM   #18
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandevelde View Post

+1 and lots of deals coming soon...
Old 22 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #19
RobotDoctor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
@robot I am not ridiculing any one for their purchace just keep the value part of it out enjoy your watch thats what you bought it for sorry you took it the wrong way buddy times are wierd and I am in no way entitled I am a Production Manager in a sign shop...

I get what your saying. If I were to make a purchase here (which will most likely happen in the future) I certainly will not make a reference about price. If I have a concern I'll take that to the seller, whether AD, GM or individual. I may have read what you were posting in a way not intended. My apologies if I did.

Cheers!
Old 22 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #20
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

All good this forum is to enjoy the hobby is all....

Old 22 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #21
descartes
"TRF" Member

There are some forums where price of watches may not be discussed, which is nice.

Old 22 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #22
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
seems every tenth thread is someone starting a thread to complain about threads other people have posted... it drives me! wait... actually I don't care.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #23
PaulEvansLoafers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I think many people here are at different stages of watch collecting so it is not fair to expect others to want to talk about the same things as you.

Not everybody is in it just to own a rolex regardless of price. Just because you want to know if you overpaid for something does not mean you can’t afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 10:26 AM   #24
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
Maybe I am venting because during such difficult financial times this thread seems to be taking the tone of entitlement. Why not try to show some compassion.
Fair enough, but if someone mentioned a dealer having a fire sale at the moment everyone on here would be on them like stink on $hit!

There's no entitlement. Someone always needs to sell a luxury good. Likewise, someone's always willing to purchase said goods.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:29 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In a word ... justification
Old 22 April 2020, 12:49 PM   #26
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
The Rolex crowd is so diverse. If I see someone wearing an Omega I might compliment the watch depending on their demeanor. But I hardly ever comment on a Rolex because I’m guessing that most Rolex owners are not watch people. I’m not taking an elitist attitude. I received a Rolex for a wedding present and wore it for years and I didn’t give two shakes about watches.
So I get why so many here on TRF care about value. They’re the same crowd that only want certain references because they’re perceived to be hard to get.
I’ve heard it’s much worse in Canada.

Old 22 April 2020, 01:01 PM   #27
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I just had a conversation with my teenage son about sneakers and fake sneakers from China. I showed him a replica 116519LN...he said, looks just like the real one I showed him earlier. He said, buy that one and save 28K. I said, I don't buy nice things to impress others...I buy it for me to look at. It would bother me to look at a fake Rolex on my arm. And that brings me to the overpaying from a Grey Dealer...every time I looked at the watch, I would be annoyed about the over payment. I would rather wait, buy it from an AD and feel that I did not contribute to the current problem of AD's selling hot watches out the back door.
Old 22 April 2020, 01:06 PM   #28
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools View Post
it's not a lot, just a few who are vocal.

They aren't watch hobbyists/enthusiasts, they are deal chasers. Once they have their "deal", they lose interest; then are off again to another "deal".
+1
Old 22 April 2020, 01:16 PM   #29
TooManyIDs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Old 22 April 2020, 02:17 PM   #30
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not a lot, just a few who are vocal.

Quote:
I got into the watch hobby because I liked them. Seems every 10th thread is about how much my watch is worth and did I pay too much.
If you need to ask these questions DO NOT BUY WATCHES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I think you nailed it.
A lot of people spending more than they really should...under a bad set of assumptions.
Quote:
@robot I am not ridiculing any one for their purchace
just keep the value part of it out enjoy your watch thats what you bought it for sorry you took it the wrong way buddy times are wierd and I am in no way entitled I am a Production Manager in a sign shop...
Quote:

At major risk of drawing the ire of the gods here, I respectfully submit that those are a lot of assumptions that people who try to ensure they are getting good value are either spending more than they should or are just interested in chasing a deal for the sake of a deal.

I believe that most people here who discuss getting the best deal and discounts are simply trying to act as good stewards of the money granted to them by their hard work, the environment, God, or whomever they give credit to for the good fortune to be able to afford one of the finest mechanical watches built today.

A vast majority of those who are looking for a good deal might just be more of the ilk below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post

Everybody likes to save money regardless how much one has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulEvansLoafers View Post
I think many people here are at different stages of watch collecting so it is not fair to expect others to want to talk about the same things as you.

Not everybody is in it just to own a rolex regardless of price.
Just because you want to know if you overpaid for something does not mean you can’t afford it.

Below in the quote are questions that are proposed for ban. Most of these questions seem reasonable for people who want to make sure they get a good deal. In fact, most wealthy people I know care about spending money wisely. And those who aren't wealthy.....being careful with money is how many people can afford a Rolex. I'd wager that most owners on here are NOT of the variety that are financially able to pick up most Rolexes they want to buy whenever they want to buy them.

The bolded questions below seem reasonable for anyone to ask when they are spending thousands of dollars on something that they enjoy but that others may know far more about. Even the first two questions don't seem that bad for someone trying to ensure they want to spend wisely based on current market conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
We will be taking a hard line on the following (and like) threads:
Prices going up?
Prices going down?
Is this price reasonable?
Is this a good investment?
Can I get a discount & how much?
Is now the right time to buy/sell??
Trying to buy Rolex as an investment vehicle does get tiring to read about and discuss. But I support those who want to get a discount and find a good deal. Although I will be paying MSRP for my next watch.....if the AD can get the BLRO I seek.
Closed Thread