The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 April 2020, 12:25 AM   #91
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Yes, the price questions piss me off. I’ve been off the forum longer then ever before because when the pandemic started, every other thread was about pricing and how watch prices will come down to msrp or lower. One guy was even daily tracking prices and updating the thread. That’s when I went on vacation mode.
Old 23 April 2020, 12:31 AM   #92
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffa View Post
Yes, the price questions piss me off. I’ve been off the forum longer then ever before because when the pandemic started, every other thread was about pricing and how watch prices will come down to msrp or lower. One guy was even daily tracking prices and updating the thread. That’s when I went on vacation mode.
I agree that these discussions were a little tedious but my interest is, for the love of god, please don’t make me suffer through another price increase while waiting for my JM 116508!!!
Old 23 April 2020, 01:46 AM   #93
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I dont go ranting about how much my watches are worth or how much I paid but I on the other hand dont get irritated when reading these posts.
Its a place for everyone to share about their watches and some people think we here are experts so they want to know what we think if they ripped off.
Old 23 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #94
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Threads about pricing and deal hunting have been on TRF long before the current Rolex madness started. It's just part of the hobby, when you're dealing with expensive baubles.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:16 AM   #95
cocoabutter
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
It’s strange NO ONE complained when the posts were about prices rising, now it’s the other way it’s a problem?! Lol ok then...

I got my watch well before the hype and I have other brands of watches. I don’t begrudge posters asking about prices. It’s their right to ask, if you look closely, it’s the ones that have been priced out and unable to get their dream watch.

Lastly, I miss the old days too, there was a poster who I will not forget called JJ, he was so funny! I think he passed away a few years back.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #96
shop
"TRF" Member

Guess everyone likes to know they're getting a good deal?
Old 23 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #97
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

Too many threads on this is annoying but let's be honest, everyone cares about prices to a certain extent. When you are spending thousands/tens of thousands of dollars on anything you should care, unless you're off the charts rich
Old 23 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #98
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
The Rolex marketing machine has already convinced too many that a $ 1000 watch is worth $10,000.
I've been saying it for YEARS.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:24 AM   #99
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shop View Post
Guess everyone likes to know they're getting a good deal?
Good point, no doubt that is the driving force behind a lot of discussions here. The rub with Rolex and a few other similar brands is over the past few years, availability has been unable to keep up with demand and for some of us older collectors, its been difficult to deal with. For me, I wont pay more than MSRP but others are free to do what makes them happy! Its all good...
Old 23 April 2020, 02:26 AM   #100
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I genuinely think a new sub-section should be added to the forum that deals with prices/speculation/et cetera because it obviously a vibrant topic, especially in the vintage world where there are infinitely more variables that constitute value.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:35 AM   #101
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I don't mind the occasional pricing/investment thread, but lately it's gotten way out of hand, largely driven by some members who think the current world situation will be the goose that lays the golden egg for them to grab up a highly sought after watch on the cheap.

My observation since I joined is that TRF is at its best in regards to discussions about actual watches and their merits and attributes. I've recently been getting into some prior model year Tudors and many members have been extremely helpful with information and opinions on these pieces.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:37 AM   #102
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The reason why people ask and talk price is displayed vividly with the pandemic affecting us today and everyone's concern with getting back to work.

The world revolves around money. No matter what topic you choose, the value of something is always going to be important.

No one should turn a blind eye to price/value but no one should obsess about it either. However, the most annoying threads are the investment threads ("Should I buy this watch as an investment"... Or "will it go up although I don't plan on wearing it") and threads/comments that talk about every single cent and dollar a watch moves up and down with ("Omg, did you see the BLRO or Daytona dropped a few dollars today... sky is falling"... or "Daytona is priced at $26,000 USD, etc").

It's an open market. Buy or sell something according to your own financial situation and risks.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:46 AM   #103
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Only FAKE RICH worry about the value of the watch...lol...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
Old 23 April 2020, 03:08 AM   #104
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I genuinely think a new sub-section should be added to the forum that deals with prices/speculation/et cetera because it obviously a vibrant topic, especially in the vintage world where there are infinitely more variables that constitute value.
Well said. Pandemic and filthy rich aside, I research the hell out of everything I purchase. From a toaster to a home. What semi-fiscally responsible person wouldn't?

I also liked the earlier statement about waiting list or paying to play. I'm an avid boater. I justify the cost of that hobby (and the joy my family and I get out of it) by saying to myself, the more hours I use it, the cheaper per hour it is to own it. Totally true and false at the same time.
Old 23 April 2020, 03:14 AM   #105
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think there should be a sub section for threads aimed at shaping the forum to a specific members liking.
Old 23 April 2020, 03:59 AM   #106
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
News flash, many people here and in the watch community in general are stepping into watches that are a large financial purchase for them and ones that aren't necessarily the best financial decision.

There are plenty of people on this forum that could live with all their watches becoming worthless and move on with their lives. Other people look at their watches as assets because they cannot afford to lose the stored value in them.

I will admit myself that I look at my watches as assets. I don't look at them like investments because first and foremost they are for me to enjoy because it is my passion and hobby. Push comes to shove, and I find myself in a very desperate situation, then I would have to think about moving the watches to bring in some quick cash. Not looking at these watches as a means to make money. I can even lose, though that hasn't happened with Rolex, and I'll be fine.
Old 23 April 2020, 04:05 AM   #107
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
My inherent mode on big purchases is to research the hell out of the market on the Grail Watch I covet the most...so yep ! that incudes every post on this forum and watchuseek and watchrecon until I'm practically drunk.

Will the Rolex be an investment? Nope. Not my game. It'll become some family heirloom if I play my cards correctly.
Old 23 April 2020, 04:07 AM   #108
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Seriously miss the old days when I just bought beat up watches to wear and enjoy. The reason why people talk prices is because these watches that are worth maybe 1,000 dollars are selling for 20,000 and when there is money to be made, people start to get greedy. Just look at bitcoin, first it was just some nerd money but then it rocketed in value and people are losing their shirts trying to speculate them. Honestly, every time I see an incoming thread or some “collector” with the basic Daytona-Batman-submariner “collection”, I roll my eyes. These are the same people now that are trying to convince everyone that values will stay high, then you got the next generation of aspirational buyers that are hoping for a drop so they can “invest”. It’s all become just a big joke. We are talking about watches!!!!
Old 23 April 2020, 04:21 AM   #109
bin31z
"TRF" Member

In addition, when I first got into watches, I was on watchuseek and alot of private buyers were swapping weird vintage pieces on the for sale section. I'd end up buying and selling from the same people again and again as everyone tries new watches. I'd also buy alot of cheap vintage omegas from south american countries, couple of hundred for lemania based Mark series speedmasters. Now, if you look in the sale section here, you got a couple of sellers that are dominating the marketplace, posting at inflated prices with professional photo studio pics. People pretty much running a business of selling watches on forums, flipping watches like people flip houses. Like its already bad enough that the housing market, stock market are just a bunch of speculators, but now its effecting wristwatches and whisky (my other hobby). What's next? Speculating toilet papers? O wait...

So in conclusion, yeah I want a see a crash so all these greys and resellers can go get a real job and things can go back to normal and true collectors can go back to hunting that 1680 or 5513 with the perfect aged lume color, correct end links and fat font bezel with just the right amount of patina.
Old 23 April 2020, 04:29 AM   #110
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
One rant doesn’t justify another rant now does it
Old 23 April 2020, 04:42 AM   #111
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Grey dealers (aka sponsors) on this forums would hate this lol
Old 23 April 2020, 05:00 AM   #112
kpinthebay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 or dads
Everyone cares about prices. Some to a different degree. I bought my watch as an homage to the death of my father, as he left me almost enough in a random investment account to get me something. I'm not exactly swimming in cash.

Go watch ProducerMichael on youtube. This fool is insanely rich, but he haggles like an old lady at a swap meet.

Last edited by kpinthebay; 23 April 2020 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 23 April 2020, 08:21 AM   #113
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

I guess the only time it really annoys me is when you get people (who are clearly only interested in flipping) ranting about not being able to get the desirable SS models at msrp from the AD’s, because they are all being sold to flippers or greys!
Old 23 April 2020, 08:30 AM   #114
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
If a person is concerned about what they are spending then that is an issue with them and nobody should fault or ridicule that person. I see absolutely no issue with that. For many people purchasing a Rolex, their first Rolex, is a dream come true. Also, many do not have the financial means to purchase more than one yet they chose to purchase one. Some are trying to maximize their money. Again, nothing wrong with that. Instead of demeaning a person like that why not celebrate that. If anyone, including the OP, is driven "nuts" because of this then simply scroll past the post.

Maybe I am venting because during such difficult financial times this thread seems to be taking the tone of entitlement. Why not try to show some compassion.
Wrong. There is a dedicated Forum for "what it's worth .." or so, for these posts.
Old 23 April 2020, 08:31 AM   #115
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith73 View Post
I got into the watch hobby because I liked them. Seems every 10th thread is about how much my watch is worth and did I pay too much. If you need to ask these questions DO NOT BUY WATCHES.
Drives me nuts and is kinda killing the hobby for me.......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't know, depends where you're coming from. I've blown 100k plus on a few hobbies with basically 0 return, unless stories have value.
When you've done that, you think twice about your hobbies. I realize hobbies are meant for enjoyment, but there's nothing wrong about being prudent and/or diligent about your decisions.
I like the fact that my money is not completely down the tubes with watches, so I do have the price conversation internally all the time.
my two cents
Old 23 April 2020, 08:50 AM   #116
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Watch: A/K,BLNR,SubC,E2
Ya with you on this I am also a car guy....I built a 1973 camaro prostreet wow that cost alot and I did all the labor -the paint lost money when I was done with the car. Would I do it again....yes the experience was worth it. All I was getting at is enjoy what you have.

Old 23 April 2020, 08:52 AM   #117
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

As far as the story goes they have value...at one point you had a smile on your face.

Old 23 April 2020, 08:54 AM   #118
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith73 View Post
As far as the story goes they have value...at one point you had a smile on your face.

touché
Old 23 April 2020, 08:57 AM   #119
Bsmith73
"TRF" Member

Wait a second can anyone tell me if $2500 for a moser 9" rearend with a Detroit locker wilwood brakes and 35 spline axles is a good deal or worth it....lol j/k

Old 23 April 2020, 08:58 AM   #120
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not a lot, just a few who are vocal.

They aren't watch hobbyists/enthusiasts, they are deal chasers. Once they have their "deal", they lose interest; then are off again to another "deal".
Not a lot? Are you in denial it’s 50% of the topics unfortunately.