The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 April 2024, 10:38 PM   #1
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Turned Off By Rolex

Not sure what’s been getting into me lately but my disdain for Rolex and ADs have been increasing by the minute. It started after visiting an AP boutique this past weekend and speaking with an SA about how they allocate watches, which is just forming a relationship with your SA and you will get your watch within a couple of years. I find that to be more than fair considering the output of AP per year.

Now, obviously the situation with Rolex is nothing new and it never really bothered me…until now. So much so, that I am thinking of giving up my BLNR and Deepsea JC to get a AP RO. I tried on a ROO and just admired it on my wrist and didn’t want to take it off. The only Rolex I would keep would be my bluesy since I admire it the most and I also have an Omega Seamaster 300M on rubber that I also enjoy wearing.

Why should any of us have to wait literally years and never receive the watch we desire? And if I to pay a huge markup to get a Rolex then I rather buy some of the other higher horology out there. If a small house like AP can deliver watches to clients then surely Rolex can definitely do the same since they mass produce their watches. Am I missing something here?
Old 20 April 2024, 10:40 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Personally, I’d flip a BLNR + JC DSSD for an RO. Nothing to do with my feelings about Rolex either. ;-)
Old 20 April 2024, 10:49 PM   #3
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I hear you.

Good news is plenty of other great brands out there that will treat you better
Old 20 April 2024, 10:53 PM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I never get so emotional about it. I got a BLNR after about a year. Honestly, I never expected to get the call. It would be great if I could easily get other models at MSRP, but I can’t. I’m not losing any sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 April 2024, 10:57 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Am I missing something here?
AP has far lower actual demand than Rolex. Plus the mythical 1960s trio marketing thing collapsed years ago as true independents eclipse mass-produced ' ' ' independents' ' '.

It is still about supply versus demand. More demand for Rolex globally.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:00 PM   #6
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I hear you.

Good news is plenty of other great brands out there that will treat you better
x2

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 20 April 2024, 11:05 PM   #7
Jake Sully
"TRF" Member

I have been into Rolex for 47 years. Not that long ago you could get most for under MSRP. I hate playing games and wont suck up to any AD trying to get a watch and I always hated the way you get hawked walking around the store trying to sell you other stuff you dont want.

I go right to the Greys and bring it home the same day. I am lucky to live within 45 minutes of DSW. Ya it cost more but it fits my lifestyle better. Plus if/when you trade it back they give you more than the AD so its all good.

As a FYI AP may not be any better than Rolex with stringing you along and trying to get you into different models before you can get a piece you really want. Best of luck. Just picked up my first APRO and wished I would have done it many years ago. Detail is mind blowing compared to Rolex who also does a great job.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:07 PM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The Rolex situation doesn't particularly bother me, there are so many great brands out there. If something becomes impractical or impossible I'll just do something else. Each to our own.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:10 PM   #9
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

I've not owned an AP. I do however love the design language and finishing. My impression is AP is not as robust as Rolex, especially a DSSD. For me, switching out my DSSD JC for an AP RO would not be a good fit for my lifestyle/usage. I can see adding an AP someday though.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:13 PM   #10
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

You are correct. I know people that have received APs after a wait, but not Rolexes. Seems absurd given demand and yearly production numbers. I think boutique is the only way to go. I won’t give Rolex ADs my money if I can help it. For example, I was recently looking at an Omega. I would rather buy that from the Omega boutique than my local Rolex AD that sells Omega and somehow can’t cough up a Rolex. I don’t care about the so called relationship. If they can’t sell a Rolex to me without strings attached and playing games, they have shown me they dont really want my business. Rolex needs to do away with all these ADs snd go boutique model.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You make a valid point. For the going used watch price of a Daytona, you can buy a high horology watch. More people should consider their options from other brands when they think of buying used watches for 2 or 3 times MSRP.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:36 PM   #12
Dave O
"TRF" Member

I understand your frustration. It frustrates me as well. But it really is a demand vs. supply thing. I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass here, but for every BLRO made there are thousands of people who want one or on a wait list for one. For every RO made, there may only be 100 people who want one or are on the wait list for one. And yes, I realize Rolex made around 1.2 million watches last year, but there are probably 2-3 million who want one. Not the same with AP.

Many of us remember a time when it wasn't this way. You could walk into an AD and get just about anything you wanted with no wait or maybe just a small wait. Then demand just exploded. At my AD they get maybe 12 or so BLRO's a year, but probably have over a hundred people who want one. What is the AD to do? He has to figure out who to sell them to, and avoid selling to flippers. Until demand comes down, or supply goes up (which Rolex is working on) we are likely to see much of the same.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:42 PM   #13
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

What do you think “forming a relationship with your SA” at the AP Boutique means? Same song, different verse. Spend money on stuff you don’t really want to get the stuff you do. Same as Rolex, PP, Birken bag, GT3 RS….

At least with Rolex there are enough AD’s that you have more options of finding a sympathetic one. I personally believe with the exception of new releases and certain Daytona models it won’t be difficult to get most any Rolex model by 2025, and most be be available at grey dealers at a discount, particularly precious metal pieces.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:43 PM   #14
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Interesting view. I've been ushered out of an AP boutique as I was walking in the door. I think my biggest problem with AP is that many people aren't close enough to a boutique to drop in frequently and play the goofy game of building a relationship. I made it a point to go to every AP boutique I could to prove how stupid the model is. So far I've been to 15+ locations over 8 years and still haven't been called to be allowed to spend my money with them. All that being said, I still like AP better than Rolex.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:47 PM   #15
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Turned Off By Rolex

Agree with your sentiments OP.

It’s weird seeing all these BNIB (some with stickers ) Daytonas for sale by the used watch dealers.

If an AD gets 1-2 Daytonas a year how does a used watch dealer end up with a combined 3 ADs allocation worth of Daytonas ?

Is the explanation really as simple as every single Daytona sold from an AD is flipped to a used watch dealer?
Old 20 April 2024, 11:50 PM   #16
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Several years ago I submitted my name to purchase a steel 34MM RO for my wife, who really liked the piece. I was told a roughly one year wait. During that time I was offered several PM and gem encrusted pieces, but never the piece I requested.

I would be wary of transitioning to AP until your local boutique has actually offered you the piece you want.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:57 PM   #17
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

Its all kabuki theater. Im getting calls for pieces that I didnt ask for and dont want. My guess is they are getting a lot of passes when moving anything that isnt a Daytona, Pepsi or BLNR.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:58 PM   #18
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
AP is going to be harder to get than Rolex, but ok!
Old 21 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Brand diversity in a collection keeps you fresh. You don’t have to pledge allegiance to just one brand.
Old 21 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #20
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Rolex don’t care what people think there are so many people who will take our place in the list etc
Old 21 April 2024, 12:11 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’ve never had to wait “literally years.” I’ve never had to wait even a year. Congratulations on your epiphany although you may want to refresh yourself on the fundamentals of supply and demand. Simply put, even though Rolex makes vastly more watches than AP the demand for Rolex far outstrips that supply. This is not a reflection on the watches themselves. Ironically you are leaving Rolex at the point in time where supply is waxing and demand is waning but by all means buy what makes you feel fulfilled. AP makes lovely watches, not one of which inspires me in the least. This hobby/habit is all about joy so if the perceived ease of acquisition of AP is the part that brings you joy then sincere best wishes in your ongoing watch journey.
Old 21 April 2024, 12:30 AM   #22
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Regardless of the situation I’d 100% move a BLNR and DSSD for a RO. Easiest decision all week
Old 21 April 2024, 12:31 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Lots of others brands to choose from as other have said.

I’d add the AP and keep your Rolex … I always gravitate back to the crown
Old 21 April 2024, 12:39 AM   #24
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Am I missing something here?
the part where your AP AD absolutely will text you offering pieces for your wife, or a Code, or a Royal Oak Offshore, before giving you the royal oak you asked for.

Unless, of course, Royal Oak starts trading below retail, in which case, you'll get your Royal Oak.
Old 21 April 2024, 12:50 AM   #25
OTX
"TRF" Member

I don’t own an AP or Patek and have no desire to. I have tried them on a few times. Nothing wrong with them but I prefer Rolex. No one makes a more durable, timeless tank of a watch like Rolex does. Hence the crazy demand worldwide. Heck even master watchmaker Philippe Dufour who makes watches on a different level than anyone else and makes only 12-18 watches a year wears a Rolex GMT :-). Rolex makes a great watch!. As far as feelings go, I don’t take it personal. Too much demand.

Old 21 April 2024, 12:51 AM   #26
shammad10
"TRF" Member

While my local Rolex AD played games, I went into AP house in London- put my name down for a SS RO and got the call 5 months later that it had come in. So you never know.
Old 21 April 2024, 12:58 AM   #27
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Guys, I am really turned off by the politics in Los Angeles, and the grime and the crime.

It's just too much.

So I'm moving to one of the affordable New York City boroughs.

Thoughts?
Old 21 April 2024, 12:59 AM   #28
WatchMySix
"TRF" Member

I think it's all about the person (SA), less about the brand. I was just treated like trash at a Patek AD, and I have an amazing relationship with my Rolex AD....

Old 21 April 2024, 01:44 AM   #29
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Wait, you walked into an AP store and they told you you had to wait a couple years for a watch and you thought that was a positive experience?

Not sure which RO you want, but you will
most likely have to buy a Code or two and maybe an undesirable ROO first.

Btw, AP is tanking the most in secondary market so it will become easier to get a lot of AP (already is) but not the most popular ROs like a 16202.

Old 21 April 2024, 01:48 AM   #30
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
I think if your an average person wants a new Rolex you pretty much need to be ok with buying from a grey, personally I buy second hand but I wouldnt and havnt put up with AD BS, I have tried to buy watches from them like everyone else and had zero luck so f’em, Rolex prices have been retarded since Covid though we are getting back to reality.
Closed Thread