The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 October 2014, 01:58 PM   #31
Daytona4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: HBO:)
"To break the rules, you must first master them". That's the only motivation I needed, twice - Diver and 15400 white dial.
Daytona4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 02:42 PM   #32
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Couple nights without slept and kept thinking about it. This was how I convinced myself had to have it.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 04:03 PM   #33
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Get your priorities right first. Houses/health/education can always wait.
EFA.

conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 05:58 PM   #34
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
EFA.

Priorities of a hopelessly addicted WIS.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 07:21 PM   #35
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
To convince yourself of the AP and all the things you want for it, make sure that money is of no object and your next worth is AT LEAST 100x more than the watch. Otherwise pass on all and stick to your priorities.
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:16 AM   #36
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Dude you live only once. If you have the means, pull the trigger.

That model of AP is a true classic and you'll enjoy it for years to come. In fact, $14K on a watch is not as bad as buying a brand new car and watch its value nosedive after you bring it home. All you have to do is to sort out your priorities.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:47 AM   #37
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Dude...the Nomos world timer is 10 times more interesting than the AP...it is in my mind the perfect watch for you, plus it is only 6 grand
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 04:41 PM   #38
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
Dude...the Nomos world timer is 10 times more interesting than the AP...it is in my mind the perfect watch for you, plus it is only 6 grand
The Nomos line was too sterile for me. Sold my Tangomat GMT in about 6 months. Nicely made, bot just too steril in the design realm.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 08:07 AM   #39
jrb715

Time to slow way down. I remember the first intoxication of looking at a watch that blew me away--an AP Royal Oak by the way; but I also had the sense to think about what the future might present me. Frankly, a used AP chrono seems to me not worth the 14k: especially if you think your finances will continue to be strong, or improve. And if finances might fall off after your project, then you are behaving foolishly: maybe the desire is born of fear of the future and that you won't be able to afford one down the line? Watches are just not that important.

What particularly catches my attention in your post is the comment that this would be your third watch in the last year, without a justification for the three watches. It reads as if you see a watch and feel you must have it. I'd take a breath, redirect your focus on a house and money in the bank, and window shop for the next year.

After the first flush of lust passed with me, I discovered there were a number of watches I would rather have than the Royal Oak, and after the flashes of lust passed about them, I found three watches in the next three years that are each as nice and cover all my business, sport and dress needs.
jrb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 12:13 PM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Time to slow way down. I remember the first intoxication of looking at a watch that blew me away--an AP Royal Oak by the way; but I also had the sense to think about what the future might present me. Frankly, a used AP chrono seems to me not worth the 14k: especially if you think your finances will continue to be strong, or improve. And if finances might fall off after your project, then you are behaving foolishly: maybe the desire is born of fear of the future and that you won't be able to afford one down the line? Watches are just not that important.

What particularly catches my attention in your post is the comment that this would be your third watch in the last year, without a justification for the three watches. It reads as if you see a watch and feel you must have it. I'd take a breath, redirect your focus on a house and money in the bank, and window shop for the next year.

After the first flush of lust passed with me, I discovered there were a number of watches I would rather have than the Royal Oak, and after the flashes of lust passed about them, I found three watches in the next three years that are each as nice and cover all my business, sport and dress needs.

Yawn

You're missing out on the RO
Old 10 November 2014, 03:43 PM   #41
jrb715

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yawn

You're missing out on the RO
No, passing it by was the best purchasing or non-purchasing decision I made in watches. Just took it off the list. The watches I have now I like significantly more. That doesn't mean everyone would: I just came to think it wasn't the sexiest or best for me.
Old 11 November 2014, 02:38 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
No, passing it by was the best purchasing or non-purchasing decision I made in watches. Just took it off the list. The watches I have now I like significantly more. That doesn't mean everyone would: I just came to think it wasn't the sexiest or best for me.

Just messing with you
Old 11 November 2014, 10:51 AM   #43
jrb715

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Just messing with you
Kinda guessed that. Whew. Don't have to justify passing up an RO.
Old 14 November 2014, 05:36 AM   #44
Lrlx
"TRF" Member

Have you ever seen or held a AP before?
Lrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 05:38 AM   #45
Lrlx
"TRF" Member

Have you ever seen or held one before? If you need to be convinced then its probably not for you
Lrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 09:15 AM   #46
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Just curious, what watches you now have that you like significantly more than the RO?
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 10:45 PM   #47
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

If you need convincing, don't do it.
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 11:53 PM   #48
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

How do you convince yourself to buy a $14K AP?

Well first you take her out to dinner, flowers of course. Then you tell her how much she means to you before giving her a gift of some value...

But seriously, first you have to take a look at your finances. First thing I do is take a look at my finances. If life can go on if I bet the value of the watch on "00" at the roulette table and lost, then I'm cleared to think about actually buying the watch.

Then it's a mental thing. Is it worth it? Are you truly a WIS? I thought $6K was ridiculous. Took the plunge. $10K? Idiotic. Took the plunge. Next up? $20-$30K for a RG Rolex or Patek 5712? Well... law of diminishing returns here. I'm looking at the 3rd watch and for me to pick up something in this price range, well it's gotta be PERFECT. I already have two watches I love. Part of me wants to call it a day with a decent watch with a clear caseback- i.e. grand seiko or nomos. Then I kind of think about a 5712 or a RG Rolex.

What doesn't help is this damn place- a few minutes here and I'm thinking that buying a 5712 or a RG DD with the black MOP dial through davidsw is perfectly reasonable.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 10:32 PM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
How do you convince yourself to buy a $14K AP?

Well first you take her out to dinner, flowers of course. Then you tell her how much she means to you before giving her a gift of some value...

But seriously, first you have to take a look at your finances. First thing I do is take a look at my finances. If life can go on if I bet the value of the watch on "00" at the roulette table and lost, then I'm cleared to think about actually buying the watch.

Then it's a mental thing. Is it worth it? Are you truly a WIS? I thought $6K was ridiculous. Took the plunge. $10K? Idiotic. Took the plunge. Next up? $20-$30K for a RG Rolex or Patek 5712? Well... law of diminishing returns here. I'm looking at the 3rd watch and for me to pick up something in this price range, well it's gotta be PERFECT. I already have two watches I love. Part of me wants to call it a day with a decent watch with a clear caseback- i.e. grand seiko or nomos. Then I kind of think about a 5712 or a RG Rolex.

What doesn't help is this damn place- a few minutes here and I'm thinking that buying a 5712 or a RG DD with the black MOP dial through davidsw is perfectly reasonable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote