The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 October 2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Covello
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, IWC, No
How do you convince yourself to buy a $14,000 Audemars?

Hi All,

So I am looking at an F series (2005-2008ish) 25680 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph with a white face.

It's at a local jeweler priced at $13,500. Box but NO papers.

I trust it's authentic, they have a large selects of other high end watches, but of course paperwork would be nice.

Here are the factors that affect the purchase:

- I do project based work, I have been thinking on big projects to buy a watch to signify the time period / job / point of my career. I am currently on a big project that took up about 6 months of my life and ends late November.

- I was considering the Nomos Zurich World Timer Blue face (~$6000) or a white faced 15300 39mm Royal Oak ($12000) Obviously, the $6000 price tag was a lot easier to swallow.

- I have wanted a Royal Oak Chrono, but didn't think I could afford one.

- Walking around the city I am working in, I found a Royal Oak Chrono (mentioned above) for $13,500. Pretty nice condition. Here are some pics:

- The project I am on is very involved in the city, so buying a watch IN the city is appealing.

- I am finding out the service history, and anything I can from the previous owner. The jeweler knows him personally.

Here are my questions:

1. If I get this watch engraved with the project name, how much would it decrease the value?

2. I have a hard time swallowing the 14k price tag. It's not that I CAN'T afford it ... it's just that i's 14-freaking-grand. I have an IWC Cousteau Divers and GMT BLRN for $4k and 9k respectively. And I just stared buying watching this year.

3. I just stared buying watches this year. What the hell am I doing?

4. I am planning to buy a house soon, I live in LA and houses are ridiculous, of course the 14k would be helpful, but right now I am looking at 650k houses and can't find a single thing I want. So buying a house is on hold for a year until I make more money, I want to move out of Hollywood and back to the Valley.

5. How do you mentally become okay with spending the most money you've spend on a watch? I'm sure this progression has happened before ... buy a nice starter watch 4k, then a nicer one 9k, then a NICER one 14k. What is your thought process as you spend more and more on each watch?

6. Should I just by the Nomos? I do love it... but I would lose capturing the magic of getting a watch I Want in this city, as well as something I've sought after too (though I've actually sought after the Nomos for longer, I just didn't think I could afford a AP)

Any other thoughts?
Covello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Covello
"TRF" Member

Old 20 October 2014, 08:01 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
i don't know your annual income, asset base, marital status or amount of or plans for children. I think your best bet is to establish an annual watch fund that correlates to your income. Obviously, housing, college and retirement savings come before watches.

I would not engrave anything on a watch that I might sell in the future. I doubt that I would buy a used watch with a personal engraving. But some people might like it.

Don't want to be a curmudgeon, but I am a conservative spender and investor. One cure for the watch jones is to buy something inexpensive and fun like a Hamilton, Tissot, Frederique Constant, etc. , then go AP or Rolex after a great income year or bonus.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Israguard
"TRF" Member

Hi.. Your post troubles me and ill tell you what I would tell any close Friend of mine or a younger Brother (had I had one).

Hold off on the purchase. What's the rush? $14k even 10k ... These are huge post tax amounts and it's clear this is a big concern of yours. I am not mocking you, in fact you are being responsible.

But if you these valid doubts from the get go.. I honestly say pass on it or sleep on it for a week or two.

A personal engraving on a high end watch?. Watch is yours for life.. Nobody will buy it and if they do, you will lose huge on it.
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 08:03 AM   #5
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It only gets worse. Wait until you start looking at $100k watches. You only live once so get what you like.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I bought a SD once to commemorate 2 years on a big job where I saved the client millions and received a good bonus. Looking at it always reminded me of the accomplishment, without the need for any engraving. I decided to sell it later after a bad experience with the company I was working for at the time because it reminded me of them, as well as the job. I was glad it wasn't not engraved.

Only you can answer the question of whether or not it's appropriate for you to spend that much money on a watch. The fact that you are asking may mean it's not at this time, but that is a call you have to make.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 08:21 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
1. Respectfully, I would not engrave a luxury watch. You know what it means re significant project, why engrave it and KILL the resale value? I would not spend anywhere near asking price for that watch if it were engraved. Maybe it is just me.

2. You post has undertones of many newly addicted watch buyers' (and knives, guns, etc.) posts on enabling forums. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement, and all the encouragement from members.

3. If it were me, and I was house hunting and could use a few more bucks, the LAST thing I would be doing is buying a $14K used watch with UNKNOWN provenance. You cannot trust what a prior owner says; only service records tell an objective story. Prior owners, especially with relationships with a dealer, are motivated to tell you what you want to hear. Human nature.

4. I would walk away. Here is the secret of life: there will ALWAYS be other opportunities. Always. Find one with papers, and buy it after you buy your house.

Just my 2 cents, based on personal experience.

PS: Rolex and Patek are best at holding or increasing in value.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 08:43 AM   #8
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

If you buy a $100k watch that will resell when needed for $98k rather then buying a $4k watch that resells for $1500 and in a lot less demand you might as well get what you want. Of course that is putting aside gains on the $100k.

On the other side I couldn't image walking around with $20k worth of watches and not owning a home? Priorities. Something the younger generation lacks.

By the way if you can afford a $650 house you should be looking at $550 houses. Houses need work especially in LA where everyone sees these RE shows and flips.

They have zero regard to quality and when you move in you realize how set up the house was. Easy to make money when you have zero ethics or care.

Maybe you should stick to watches?
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
It only gets worse. Wait until you start looking at $100k watches. You only live once so get what you like.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 10:52 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
How do you convince yourself to buy a $14,000 Audemars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNAMILGAUSS View Post
If you buy a $100k watch that will resell when needed for $98k rather then buying a $4k watch that resells for $1500 and in a lot less demand you might as well get what you want. Of course that is putting aside gains on the $100k.

On the other side I couldn't image walking around with $20k worth of watches and not owning a home? Priorities. Something the younger generation lacks.

By the way if you can afford a $650 house you should be looking at $550 houses. Houses need work especially in LA where everyone sees these RE shows and flips.

They have zero regard to quality and when you move in you realize how set up the house was. Easy to make money when you have zero ethics or care.

Maybe you should stick to watches?

Lol I would advise OP to buy a house and let him decide what's worth what.

Hold off on the AP. Too much too soon by the sounds of your doubt.
Old 20 October 2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you have too many things going on right now and it is not the right time to buy your next watch.

When the time is right, you will know it. Until then, don't rush into anything.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 12:09 PM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
It sounds like you have too many things going on right now and it is not the right time to buy your next watch.

When the time is right, you will know it. Until then, don't rush into anything.
+1. Get your priorities right first. Watches can always wait.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 12:26 PM   #13
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
If you want to buy high end watch, I'd rather getting complete one with box and paper. Get from trusted seller here at TRF. It's worth the wait , no rush buying it.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Covello
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the input, a few more specifics on my situation:

- I just sold my last house. Bought 4 years ago, renovated, sold, made a profit. The plan was to do it again, but I can't find anything I want to stay in for 4-5 years, so I put buying a house on the back burner until August 2015 (one year from me deciding that)

- I wouldn't buy the AP (or any watch) until the job is over at the end of November, I'll have plenty of nights to sleep on it, and don't even mind running the risk of someone else picking it up.

- Engraving. I'm 50/50. I think it would be a nice touch, but would really kill the resale. I could just know what the watch is from, or I could appreciate looking at the case back with the reminder. I would say this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest gig of my career, not necessarily monetarily (though it does pay well) but more in it's .. milestoneness (not a word I know)

- A bit more about my financial situation. Single. No kids. No debt. No car payments. I have the 20% down on a 650k house + 50k to renno if I need to. Still have IRA and some more in savings for rainy days. Expenses are super low with no car payments. Work is great, has been a great year. I wouldn't really miss the 14k until it came time to buy a house, and the theory is, in a years time I'll have more saved up (albeit 14k less than more, but still)

- I do understand a house is first, but I've been looking hard for 6 months, and it was just frustrating me. So it really is on hold until at earliest the spring, but possibly next summer (sorta depends on how this gig goes)

So that's it. I totally understand purchasing a luxury watch before buying a home, it's not the recommended thing to do, I just don't want a home right now. Being single, and renovating it's a lot of work, and I'd rather focus my efforts on continuing to build my career than pick colors for a kitchen and cracks in a pool.

The question really is more, coming to terms with spending that much money on a watch. The first time anybody has done it, it had to have been a bit like "whooaa damn"

I'm a bit excited about the watch because I just saw it the other day, but I wouldn't purchase for another month, so the honeymoon phase will wear off.

I am definitely purchasing a watch to commemorate this project in my career, just not sure which one, and not sure if I am getting it engraved.
Old 21 October 2014, 12:55 AM   #15
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Pass on it. I know there are lots of AP enablers around here but I find 'em to be too flashy.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 05:10 AM   #16
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I'm not a huge AP fan myself but Mike is right, there was a 3K Gateway watch. Then perhaps a Rolex at 7K-10K, it just escalates from there.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 08:53 AM   #17
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Wait until you have millions before dropping $14K on a wrist watch. I've known people who drive around to nightclubs in a Ferrari only to rent a tiny apartment in crappy part of town and eating instant noodles for meals. That's being a poser.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 09:11 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
Wait until you have millions before dropping $14K on a wrist watch. I've known people who drive around to nightclubs in a Ferrari only to rent a tiny apartment in crappy part of town and eating instant noodles for meals. That's being a poser.
i liked that idea when i was 15
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 01:45 PM   #19
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
My advice is similar. Do not engrave it. Meaning if the watch in consideration had someone else's name on it or the name of another project with which you had no involvement, you wouldn't even consider it.

I love the watch and have one myself. To me it's a great watch that fits my needs and my style. That being said, look at my sig and see the watches I've gone through to get to my current collection. There will always be great watches for sale so there is no rush at all. So the only downside is that particular watch is no longer made so quantities are more limited. The price is good, but they do pop up for that price so it's not a deal of a lifetime.

If you are worried about authenticity, send it to AP. For a couple hundred they will authenticate it. I didn't have papers with mine but knew the dealer was legit. I just waited for some service to be due and sent it to Clearwater. The fact that they worked on it proves it's legit so I didn't pay extra for the certificate.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 02:06 AM   #20
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
If you are going to wear this watch a lot over the next 30-40 years and enjoy it every time you put it on, buy it and engrave it-- it will be a bargain. But, if you're already thinking about resale values, or having this watch as an occasional wear, safe queen-- I recommend not buying, at all, but definitely don't engrave it.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 03:15 AM   #21
BomB#Frog
"TRF" Member

for me....If i could quite work tomorrow and be set for life than i might do it, otherwise..... hell no.
BomB#Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 03:47 AM   #22
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I am sorry but I am not an AP RO fan, only the diver does stir my senses a bit, but even then, I wouldn't suggest getting an AP engraved as I think that would quiet significantly decrease the re-sale value, and I am sure you will resale given you are recently starting in to watches and this is a very very treacherous road my friend :) honest suggestion is to buy something you will enjoy and can see yourself parting with in the future with ease..many options out there, enjoy the hunting and the researching..there will always be many APs and all other watches available.
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 04:24 AM   #23
RBR76
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
By giving up on other things and big spending in life....
RBR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 04:47 AM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you want to commemorate your watch and it has a steel or engraved back, switch it for an exhibition back. Priek makes professional quality, and they are usually under $200. You can email him and see if he will do an AP.

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 12:51 PM   #25
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Agree with the general theme of replies...of course I would never even consider the watch you're looking at...I'm not an AP fan at all
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 08:22 PM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I'm not an enabler, I'm more for responsible spending. But it sounds like you're good to go on this one.

Every time I buy a watch, I think to myself "Holy sh*t, I just spent thousands on a watch..." but that feeling melts away rather quickly as I get on with enjoying the watch. I think it will be the same for you.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 09:17 PM   #27
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I'm not an enabler, I'm more for responsible spending. But it sounds like you're good to go on this one.

Every time I buy a watch, I think to myself "Holy sh*t, I just spent thousands on a watch..." but that feeling melts away rather quickly as I get on with enjoying the watch. I think it will be the same for you.
X2, some of these responses seem over the top for your situation, IMHO
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2014, 06:44 AM   #28
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
If you have to ask people to convince you to spend $14K on a watch, instead of which AP model to get, you are not ready.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2014, 07:54 AM   #29
s14roller
"TRF" Member

F serial ROC without papers for $13.5K?? Zero chance I'd buy that to begin with...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2014, 07:59 AM   #30
Kyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116759SANR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Lol 100k+ watches are ooooooverrated :p
Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote