The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 2021, 11:28 PM   #1
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

AD - offered steel Rolex with engagement ring

Edit: for the sake of saving time, please only answer the relevant questions if you are knowledgeable on the value of diamonds. I am not asking whether or not I will be receiving the watch nor am I asking moral advice on buying a ring and also pairing it for a personal gift. I am not making an emotional purchase, this is a strictly value for value consideration.

Hello everyone

I’m shopping for engagement rings for my pregnant girlfriend soon to be fiancé.

I was hoping to get advice on engagement rings and diamonds as I know nothing about jewelry/rings. I am looking to spend ~$10k usd on a ring and am open to suggestions on what my best bang for buck would be.

I went in to see my authorized dealer seeing if I could workout a deal in favors that I’ll receive a steel piece at the same time , Hopefully a gmt Pepsi.

They offered me a vs1, f color, excellent cut, 1 carot ring for $13,500 before tax in California. Princess set, white gold ring (Tiffany engagement style)

I know I’m getting ripped off here, but I don’t mind if I can make up on the Rolex buy side. My advisor told me if I buy this I will also receive a Pepsi. I have a good relationship with the AD and have purchased in the past so I feel that their promise is good for it.

Questions:
1.Considering I pay $13.5k + tax for the ring, and a Pepsi sells for about $10k above retail, is this a fair arrangement?
2. What is a fair price to pay for the ring without a package deal?
3. Is the diamond quality “enough” for someone who wears a date just on a daily basis or is there a big quality mismatch between the two?
4. how can I sweeten this deal further and get more bang out of this transaction , I.e. requests and so forth
Old 7 May 2021, 11:30 PM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Unless prior relationship, only do that deal if you get both at the same time.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:33 PM   #3
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Unless prior relationship, only do that deal if you get both at the same time.
I do haveprior history and trust them to make good on it. I know I will get the watch for sure if I do this deal. Worst case a gmt batman.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:34 PM   #4
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I very much doubt the watch will be forthcoming but I hope
I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 May 2021, 11:38 PM   #5
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Let’s just say it’s as good as though They will have both pieces at once. I have 100% faith. Please for the purpose of staying on topic, and not flooding the thread with irrelevant info, stick to the questions.

Respectfully and thank you
Old 7 May 2021, 11:38 PM   #6
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

To me, this seems like too much of a risk to be burned... unless you are completely happy with the ring you are getting.

If you are "settling" for this ring in hopes of acquiring a watch in the future, this is a bad deal.

I would focus on getting the best ring in your budget for your soon to be wife, regardless of anything else.

You will always be able to get a watch at some point - it's the same watch now as it will be years from now.

The memories associated with giving her that ring, however, should not be marred by the feeling that you "settled" or "overpaid" on something for the sake of a personal gain in the watch department.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:42 PM   #7
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Lol, to everyone who is missing the point. Please re read, stick on topic and answer said questions.

The watch will be paired with purchase. I am asking if this is a good value deal, not wether or not I will receive the watch. I have no doubts about receiving said piece.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:45 PM   #8
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

Can't answer on good value on the ring as I don't know diamonds, I'd compare similar stones and settings to other jewelers. See if paying in cash can get you a further discount.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #9
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOLI View Post
Can't answer on good value on the ring as I don't know diamonds, I'd compare similar stones and settings to other jewelers. See if paying in cash can get you a further discount.
Please reread the thread.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:53 PM   #10
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Depends if you plan to sell the watch immediately otherwise you’re just essentially tying up and spending more money than you originally planned to.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:54 PM   #11
BigRick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingaustin View Post

Questions:
1.Considering I pay $13.5k + tax for the ring, and a Pepsi sells for about $10k above retail, is this a fair arrangement?
2. What is a fair price to pay for the ring without a package deal?
3. Is the diamond quality “enough” for someone who wears a date just on a daily basis or is there a big quality mismatch between the two?
4. how can I sweeten this deal further and get more bang out of this transaction , I.e. requests and so forth
Q1 - It's not. A 1ct Princess cut diamond F/VS1 is at most a 7k diamond. (This assumes GIA certified diamond). You can likely get it for around 6k if you shopped.
Q2 - Figure its 1000 for the ring/setting - 8k is the MOST i'd pay.
Q3 - Yes - the quality is quite good, the size at 1ct may be small, but I don't know the person who would wear it. For 13.5k, you should be able to get closer to 1.4ct with the same specs (f/vs1)
Q4 - That's for you to decide. I wouldn't pay 13.5 for that ring unless I got a white Daytona immediately.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:57 PM   #12
kchowdhury3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Please reread the thread.

OP - people are trying to help here. Generally, "value" or "valuation" questions are a bit tricky to answer in this forum.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:59 PM   #13
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Just asked my buddy what a good price would be on that diamond.
If the gem you are buying has a GIA certificate, it would probably list for under $7000.
Factor in the SS Rolex, and it sounds right.
Bundlin baby.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:03 AM   #14
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ibtl.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:03 AM   #15
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Seems like a good deal; I dunno what’s giving you concerns specially if you’re 100% confident that you’ll get the Pepsi.

For that diamond’s price though, I assume it comes with a GIA certificate, right? If it doesn’t come with one or if the certificate comes from a different grading organization aside from GIA, I’d surely ask the AD for a different diamond that has proper documentation if I was in your position.

Old 8 May 2021, 12:05 AM   #16
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much everyone. I apologize for being crabby this morning, I haven’t had my morning coffee
Old 8 May 2021, 12:06 AM   #17
kingaustin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
Just asked my buddy what a good price would be on that diamond.
If the gem you are buying has a GIA certificate, it would probably list for under $7000.
Factor in the SS Rolex, and it sounds right.
Bundlin baby.

This guy gets it!!!
Old 8 May 2021, 12:07 AM   #18
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
If your ‘worst case’ is a BLNR, what’s your best case?

Just wondering.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 8 May 2021, 12:21 AM   #19
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Q1 - It's not. A 1ct Princess cut diamond F/VS1 is at most a 7k diamond. (This assumes GIA certified diamond). You can likely get it for around 6k if you shopped.
Q2 - Figure its 1000 for the ring/setting - 8k is the MOST i'd pay.
Q3 - Yes - the quality is quite good, the size at 1ct may be small, but I don't know the person who would wear it. For 13.5k, you should be able to get closer to 1.4ct with the same specs (f/vs1)
Q4 - That's for you to decide. I wouldn't pay 13.5 for that ring unless I got a white Daytona immediately.
These are great points. If it’s GIA certified, they must provide the certificate. You can then ask them to let you independently appraise the ring. Although you can do this, you can also use this as a negotiating point to get a better price.
I bought an engagement ring in late 2019 from my AD and after agreeing on the price had them source me a SS piece which I got when I picked the ring up.
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement and child and good luck!
Old 8 May 2021, 12:23 AM   #20
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Even if you're paying a premium on the ring, the value is there with the watch, plus more. If you like the deal and you have confidence in your jeweler, go for it. If you shop around and spend 7k on the ring, you'll still pay upwards of 20k for the watch on the secondary market. Pay 23k for everything or 27k? I think the math speaks for itself.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:23 AM   #21
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
These are great points. If it’s GIA certified, they must provide the certificate. You can then ask them to let you independently appraise the ring. Although you can do this, you can also use this as a negotiating point to get a better price.
I bought an engagement ring in late 2019 from my AD and after agreeing on the price had them source me a SS piece which I got when I picked the ring up.
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement and child and good luck!
Another thing to consider is you will be adding to your purchase history which does count for something if you were ever to want something in the future (including jewelry)
Old 8 May 2021, 12:24 AM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I mean probably slightly over on the diamond (but it's a diamond not a gold bar, you know you're always getting hosed). But if you trust them like you said, I'd do it. You get the girl, you get the baby, and you get the Pepsi to celebrate all three.

Now all you need to do is buy a PCL oyster bracelet, and sub glidelock bracelet, and you have the uber pepsi that can pull off any look.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:27 AM   #23
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
OP if you goto Blue Nile and find a comparable loose diamond the range is approx $5,410 - $7,317. I assume the retail setting is $1-1.5k so approx market price is about $7.5-8k (not resale) for your setup. Considering you're paying a $5.5k-6k premium...

Yes assuming you wanted to the GMT without a wait
2. What is a fair price to pay for the ring without a package deal? $8k + tax
3. Is the diamond quality “enough” for someone who wears a date just on a daily basis or is there a big quality mismatch between the two? No comment
I'd ensure you're getting both the Pepsi and engagement ring concurrently, and requesting to acquire the next piece you want for xyz reason. That's up to you.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:29 AM   #24
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
This Rolex ad is out-deBeersing the deBeers model.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:31 AM   #25
Lloydas1
Banned

What a world we live it. If you want the watch buy the watch, don’t be a victim of bundling. Don’t get bundled.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:34 AM   #26
novae500
"TRF" Member

Could get the diamond/ring set for a few thousand cheaper elsewhere, But with getting the pepsi at the same time as you get the ring, then its a deal overall. The $$ thousands you save if buy ring/diamond elsewhere is alot less than buying a pepsi gray market.

DO THE DEAL as long as both are available at same time for pickup

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
Old 8 May 2021, 12:36 AM   #27
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I quickly glanced at your thread history. Based on that, I would say there is a 95% chance you will make a mistake here. Good luck to you.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:40 AM   #28
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol, to everyone who is missing the point. Please re read, stick on topic and answer said questions.

The watch will be paired with purchase. I am asking if this is a good value deal, not wether or not I will receive the watch. I have no doubts about receiving said piece.
it appears many of us have doubts. promises can be broken.

perhaps you should insist on getting the deal in writing
Old 8 May 2021, 12:45 AM   #29
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I would offer to make a deal at that price with a larger stone of similar quality (1.20 carats).

They can source such a stone quickly.

VS1 and up are high quality stones. No one could notice any defects with the naked eye.

Color is good as well to the point that the visible eye couldn't detect a difference.

Otherwise, punt on the deal, buy a larger ring online with the realization that you can use this later to bargain with the fiance!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 May 2021, 12:53 AM   #30
jblay
"TRF" Member

As the buyer of an engagement ring many moons ago then an upgrade 10 years later, I say you skip that upgrade process and take the ~8k the 1ct ring is worth, the 10k for the watch, and dump it into a bigger diamond. Your wife will get 10x the complements on her ring than you will on the watch, and you will probably be top of the list for that gmt when you reload on funds. Don’t get ripped off on the ring just to buy a watch. Congratulations on the engagement and the baby!!
Closed Thread