The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2006, 11:44 PM   #1
qwackers

Daytona Valjoux to hack or not?

HI there im new and would like some advice.....Im gettin a Daytona valjoux....the 7750 movment.........im only intending to wear it at weekends so for 5 days itle not be used.....

in this sleeping time....is it better to pull the crown out and leave the watch in hacked mode for five days with tention in the main spring.then just reset the time and un-hack?.......or..........let it run down on its own.reset the time and rewind?....Thanks
qwackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
First off, welcome to TRF, qwackers. Glad you could join our happy little madhouse here. Do stick around and enjoy the fun here.

As for your question, my recommendation would be to let it run down. Keeping tension on the spring while it isn't running may have an adverse effect on the spring properties long term.

Others may have different thoughts on this.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 01:35 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
First welcome to TRF if we are talking about a genuine Rolex Daytona they never fitted the 7750 to the Daytona.If you are talking about the 7750 movement,leaving the chrono function running,its always better to stop and then reset it so the chrono second hand go back to 12 oclock .If you are asking about your watch running down,just give it a manual wind,the hacking any movement for a long time could damaged it,the power reserve of the Val 7750 is about 42-44 hours.But I must remind you that Rolex has never fitted the Valjoux 7750 to any Rolex range.But you will find the Val 7750 in the Rolex Tudor chrono range.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 01:50 AM   #4
----

Yes, as Padi pointed out I hope it says "Tudor" on the dial........

I am not terribly familiar with the 7750, but if you are talking about the normal time only function rather than the chrono, I would not suggest leaving the watch hacked. Not exactly sure how it's done on this watch, but many hacking movements use a small lever that is operated by the keyless works to apply pressure to the balance when the stem is pulled. This stops the balance and hacks the movement using friction, and I would not want to leave it like this for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ----; 1 March 2006 at 01:50 AM..
Old 1 March 2006, 02:32 AM   #5
qwackers

I made an error........I cant,remember the name of the Daytona movment...........its not like a valjoux 7750.....(el_primero i think)...... .....Its the in house one,(whatever its called)....im refering to the normal time...if im only using the watch for 2 days ..is it better to let it run down,or hack it to suspend it.or just give it a shake every day to keep it running.....

Last edited by qwackers; 1 March 2006 at 02:36 AM..
qwackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 03:09 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Hello qwackers, welcome to TRF. I'm not sure about the movement, Padi and Al (Avalon) are pretty much the resident experts, so I would head their advise in reference to the movement and watch. As far as the hack mechanism, I would not use it for long periods of time. I'd just let the power reserve exhaust itself and re-set prior to using it again. The tension caused by the hack mechanism may not be good for the internal movement over long periods of time.

Last edited by C.J.; 1 March 2006 at 03:09 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 03:16 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Qwackers,

A BIG welcome to TRF. BTW, are you related to Elmer Fudd?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 03:23 AM   #8
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hi Qwackers,

A BIG welcome to TRF. BTW, are you related to Elmer Fudd?
It's bad enough you had to move to New Zealand to catch sheep because that wascally wabbit kept giving you the slip. Now you want to look for long lost cousins, as well
Old 1 March 2006, 03:24 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 1 March 2006, 03:28 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well thats better qwackers,had me worried for a moment.The Elprimo started life as a very high beat movement 36,000 vibration/hr.Tuned down to 28000 vibration/hr by Rolex.If I was you just let it run down,but you will do no harm to your watch,if you just give it a manual wind,while not wearing. About 30 -40 turns of the crown to fully wind it,power reserve when fully wound is about 44 -48 hours

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 03:31 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwackers
HI there im new and would like some advice.....Im gettin a Daytona valjoux....the 7750 movment.........im only intending to wear it at weekends so for 5 days itle not be used.....

in this sleeping time....is it better to pull the crown out and leave the watch in hacked mode for five days with tention in the main spring.then just reset the time and un-hack?.......or..........let it run down on its own.reset the time and rewind?....Thanks
Let it run down on its own. Then reset the time and rewind!!

Old 1 March 2006, 04:07 AM   #12
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Hi qwackers and welcome to TRF, Sounds like you have an older Daytona with the prestious Zenith Elprimo movement. I'm with padi and the others on this, allow it to run down on it's own or get a auto winder and not worry about it!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote