The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2024, 06:21 AM   #1
boeingcreek
"TRF" Member

Need my 16710 crystal pressed in... WWYD?

While switching out my bezel insert (I like to switch back between coke and pepsi) the other day I made a rookie mistake and popped the crystal out along with the bezel assembly, tough reminder on what can happen if you don't have your thumb on the crystal while popping the bezel off

I pushed it firmly back in place but now need to figure out how best to get my watch back into shape form someone with the correct press etc. The first shop I reached out to (a well known/well regarded independent) said they won't press the crystal back in for me due to liability in case any contaminant got in there and is now working its way into the mechanism. The watch runs perfectly so I would prefer not to go down the route of a full service, the crystal was off for a few seconds only so I am hoping to just have it pressed in and have the watch pressure tested. Any thoughts? I am in Seattle FWIW, but am OK shipping the watch off for service.
boeingcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:29 AM   #2
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I can't comment on Seattle. But I'd look for a well thought of watch maker.. I'd be surprised if they were that "fussy".

They may not give you a guarantee but it'll get you by until you need a service in the future.

Just my opinion
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:35 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
It’s concerning that the bezel assembly came off (seemingly) so easily. It is pressure fit onto the case quite snugly.

The only way I can see this happening on a properly fitted crystal retainer is if you used a razor blade and were somehow able to produce enough torque to separate the retainer from the case.

In any event, it’s going to need to be pressed on by a watchmaker, that’s for sure. Crystal retainer O-ring will also need to be re-lubed, and I would then have the watch pressure tested with dial/hands/movement out.

I have a crystal press and have done this several times when changing out damaged crystals. Located just north of the Border. There’s certainly someone local that can help you out.

What I would do in this case if watchmakers are saying they don’t want to take responsibility for it, is go to home hardware or wherever, get some PCV pipe that is of the correct diameter, cut it in half and attach each half to each of the ends of a vice, with the watch case sandwiched in the middle. That will give you the force enough to get the retainer pressed on.

Forget about telling any watchmaker the whole story, just tell them you want to have the watch “pressure-tested”.

Good luck!

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 08:34 AM   #4
boeingcreek
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts!

The sad truth is that it did not come off easily, I had popped off the bezel 5 or 6 times while trying to get the insert perfectly aligned and was getting cocky. I was using a watch case knife covered in a layer of electrical tape to do the job, and forgot to have my thumb pressing down on the crystal. The bezel moved away from the watch/created a gap at 5 but did not "pop" and stayed at an angle and I thought well that is odd, let me try from the 11 lug and that is what popped the entire thing out. Really kicking myself for being so careless as I had heard this can happen.

I guess I will continue to look for a local watchmaker to help me out, I have only heard back from one (the usual suspect for independent Rolex service in Seattle, and no knock on them for being cautious about liability here) so will look for someone else in the meantime. I do have a case press so thought about doing it myself (I am usually a very DIY guy) but am feeling gunshy about compounding my screwup if that makes sense.
Old 30 January 2024, 09:01 AM   #5
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingcreek View Post
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts!

The sad truth is that it did not come off easily, I had popped off the bezel 5 or 6 times while trying to get the insert perfectly aligned and was getting cocky. I was using a watch case knife covered in a layer of electrical tape to do the job, and forgot to have my thumb pressing down on the crystal. The bezel moved away from the watch/created a gap at 5 but did not "pop" and stayed at an angle and I thought well that is odd, let me try from the 11 lug and that is what popped the entire thing out. Really kicking myself for being so careless as I had heard this can happen.

I guess I will continue to look for a local watchmaker to help me out, I have only heard back from one (the usual suspect for independent Rolex service in Seattle, and no knock on them for being cautious about liability here) so will look for someone else in the meantime. I do have a case press so thought about doing it myself (I am usually a very DIY guy) but am feeling gunshy about compounding my screwup if that makes sense.
Got it, if that’s the case, even better imo. You’re not going to screw anything up by pressing it back on. Use a microfibre clothe if you’re concerned about scratching or dinging the case etc.

After getting it back together, then I’d take it in for a pressure test.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:01 PM   #6
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Need my 16710 crystal pressed in... WWYD?

Crystal presses are not expensive. Just order one, on Amazon. I did, in order to put nos Pepsi bezels, on my vintage Seiko divers, when refurbishing them.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 06:49 AM   #7
boeingcreek
"TRF" Member

Ended up getting a cheapo crystal press from Amazon (delivered this AM), popped off the bezel and pressed the crystal retaining ring down with a decent amount of force to seat it (it was at a bit of an angle but now perfectly flush with the case), replaced the bezel and all is looking good. I will look around for someone who can do a pressure test in a "fail safe" method to see if everything is sealed up properly. Thanks again to all for the responses!