The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 October 2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Chronocrass
"TRF" Member

Phillips "Geneva:Six" auction Highlights and Pictures

Alongside the PNPN highlight tour in the Los Angeles pop up I attended, there was a preview case of watches starring in next month's Geneva:Six auction. Aside from netting the greatest Daytona sale to date, Phillips still has some heavy hitters in store.

Ever wish you could time travel back and put some Rolex sport models in a safe for 60 years? This first one is close.

Paul Boutros said he really wanted to see this watch in the PNPN "Winning Icons" auction, but the bosses decided otherwise. He told me the nickname around the office for this 6542 is The Benchmark. This is the watch all other 6542s will be compared to.

Knowing almost nil about vintage Rolex, I've decided my first piece will be a Pepsi GMT Master on a jubilee. I've spent many hours studying the different references that could achieve my goal. How to choose? Too old a reference would exceed my budget and may present a problem getting parts for service. Too new and there's no patinated charm. Many hours pouring through countless pictures have taught me that patience is key to finding the one. Seeing this watch shattered images of decomposing older references in my mind.

Next up is a 6263 Paul Newman Daytona in immaculate condition

The current estimate is $310k-620k USD. Although these watches regularly exceed the high estimate, I imagine pricing after the PNPN sale will be even sweeter for the current owner of this piece and other PN Daytonas.

How about some NAME THAT WATCH TRIVIA for the last one?

Was your answer The Chairman Daytona? Goood!

This legendary watch is one of six that feature prototype blue Singer dials that Rolex tested but decided not to use. The watches fitted with them were ultimately gifted to Rolex executives and therefore have neither been seen nor available for public sale until now.

I'm still in disbelief having been in the same room as so many unicorns. The hospitality shown by Phillips and Paul Boutros has made me a believer in their brand and mission. Our common passion for timepieces is their driving force behind assembling these impressive collections.

Thanks for reading. Be sure to visit one of their viewing tours if ever the chance arises. Who knows? You might get to touch something too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chronocrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 05:34 PM   #2
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, what a cross-section of grails. Looking forward to seeing them at the pop-up store tomorrow.
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 06:20 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Wow at theses offerings....seem like crazy finds.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:29 AM   #4
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
speechless
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:13 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 06:58 AM   #6
Chronocrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTopia View Post
Wow, what a cross-section of grails. Looking forward to seeing them at the pop-up store tomorrow.
Please post your experience if you go. I was the first one in on opening day and they weren't fully set up yet. Wonder if I missed anything.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Chronocrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTopia View Post
Did you make it to the viewing? TRF member Chiboy went and met current watch owner James Cox. He was also able to try on the PNPN.
Old 16 October 2017, 06:58 PM   #8
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

I stopped by on Saturday and was taken back by the amazing pieces they were exhibiting. I knew their display was going to be good, but in no way did I think it could be this good. It was a sensory overload and I didn't know where to look. From memory, they had a 6542 Gmt, "Chairman" Daytona, Speedmaster Alasker III, Tudor Montecarlo, Cartier Crash, Paul Newman 6263, Cartier Tank Guichet, Submariner Big Crown ref 6200, Patent Pending Double Red Sea-Dweller, Longines Swissair, Patek 3448, Phillipe Dufour Duality, Patek 3700, etc. The list goes on but I think you get the picture. The most notable piece on display was (obviously) Paul Newmans Daytona. It was such an awesome, once in a lifetime experience, to be able to try on this piece and get up and close with so many grails (Attached below is a video with the Daytona on my wrist). I'm very much a fan of the Phillips auction/bacs & Russo approach, that generously affords regular watch enthusiasts the ability to get up and close with these beauties. If only other auction houses operated the way they do...
Attached Files
File Type: wmv Paul_Newman_Daytona_Edit_copy (1).wmv (10.63 MB, 11 views)
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
That 6542 is amazing, thanks for sharing.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

I went on Friday.
Paul Boutros was an incredibly knowledgeable and friendly host.
But I can't decide which watch i like better.
Since I can't afford the one on the left, I guess I'll just have to keep the one on the right and always remember the feeling of THE PNPN on my wrist.
Wow!!! I was just shaking. It never crossed my mind I would get to try it on. I thought it would be behind thick glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6260 2.jpg (136.8 KB, 111 views)
Passinthru is online now   Reply With Quote