The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2023, 10:53 AM   #1
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
126508 - any owners?

I’m considering purchasing my first yellow gold watch - and I really like the configuration below. I have been looking to see if there are any reviews online.

This watch will be a part of a collection and in the rotation, it will not be my only watch. I do know it’s loud and not the sort of thing that I’ll be wearing everyday and everywhere.

So, additionally, I thought I should ask owners of this watch about their opinions, living with it, considerations, etc.

Btw - I already have an 116519 WG OF Daytona, so the 126518 OF YG is not a consideration.

alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 11:00 AM   #2
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Love it! While I’ve yet to own a PM Daytona, I’ve always wanted a YG Daytona over any other PM. I think there’s another champagne dial Daytona that has yellow gold sub dials but I think the black subdials look better. Best of luck in your search, that’s a beautiful choice
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 01:03 PM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I have the 116508 with the previous equivalent dial variant. I don't think I'd want this new version with the yellow gold hour markers since it would make it less legible. I also like the case shape of the previous variant. That being said, I haven't tried the new 12 series Daytona on in person yet.
One other difference that doesn't seem to be pointed out much is I think they changed the subdials' black color to be a bit more "bright" with more light play.
As for the dial/watch combo, it's pretty loud on my 116508. Not as loud as something like the 126618LB "bluesy" Sub, but it's loud. I think the dial blends very nicely with the case, though, and it wears like a million bucks.
I think having the 126508 and your 116519LN would pair very well together!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 05:01 PM   #4
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I have the 116508 with the previous equivalent dial variant. I don't think I'd want this new version with the yellow gold hour markers since it would make it less legible. I also like the case shape of the previous variant. That being said, I haven't tried the new 12 series Daytona on in person yet.
One other difference that doesn't seem to be pointed out much is I think they changed the subdials' black color to be a bit more "bright" with more light play.
As for the dial/watch combo, it's pretty loud on my 116508. Not as loud as something like the 126618LB "bluesy" Sub, but it's loud. I think the dial blends very nicely with the case, though, and it wears like a million bucks.
I think having the 126508 and your 116519LN would pair very well together!

Thank you so much - yes, I read about the gold hour markers and and the shape change - and whilst I agree with you re both points, I don’t think I’ll be given the choice…. We shall see! :)

Thank you for pointing out the hue of black on the subdials, I didn’t know about that at all!! Very good to know.

Thank you so much!!
Old 12 November 2023, 05:03 PM   #5
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Love it! While I’ve yet to own a PM Daytona, I’ve always wanted a YG Daytona over any other PM. I think there’s another champagne dial Daytona that has yellow gold sub dials but I think the black subdials look better. Best of luck in your search, that’s a beautiful choice

Thank you so much for your comment! Yes, I agree, I think this is the best sundial for this configuration IMHO.

I hope you get your YG Daytona soon!
Old 12 November 2023, 05:48 PM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
It’s a gorgeous Daytona. Full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 10:57 PM   #7
clubrcr
Banned

I have last year’s 116508 and an OF 116518ln with the Paul Newman dial. I was worried that the 508 would be too much bling, but I love wearing it. The sunburst dial changes with the light and looks amazing, the weight is very comfortable. The only negative is the legibility is not as good as the black dial with gold sub dials. Since they changed the dial on the new one, I would think it might make even less legible. In my case, one is more dressy and one is more sporty.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 05:05 AM   #8
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post
I have last year’s 116508 and an OF 116518ln with the Paul Newman dial. I was worried that the 508 would be too much bling, but I love wearing it. The sunburst dial changes with the light and looks amazing, the weight is very comfortable. The only negative is the legibility is not as good as the black dial with gold sub dials. Since they changed the dial on the new one, I would think it might make even less legible. In my case, one is more dressy and one is more sporty.

Thank you. Yes, I’m mentally ready for the bling

It’s a shame they made it even less legible but hey, who wants a watch to tell time?? :)

Thank you for the write up.
Old 13 November 2023, 05:05 AM   #9
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
It’s a gorgeous Daytona. Full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. Can’t say I don’t agree
Old 13 November 2023, 06:14 AM   #10
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post
It's such a trade-off. When I had the 116508 PN before I owned the champagne, I quickly discovered that is a very difficult watch to tell the regular time on. The subdials definitely are more legible, but the normal minute track on the perimeter of the dial is surprisingly not very visible in many lighting scenarios. The champagne, on the other hand, has subdials that sometimes are a little hard to see, but a normal minute track that is pretty much always visible. I'd rather be able to read the normal time easily than the chronograph always.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 06:31 AM   #11
thedane
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love the YG Daytona, am currently selling 3 other Rolex watches to fund a 126508, only with the white dial. Do it!:)
thedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 12:24 PM   #12
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I wear my 1st gen most days I'm wearing a long sleeve (not safe in socal to wear without cover).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231112_182002_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg (234.9 KB, 771 views)
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 12:20 AM   #13
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
I wear my 1st gen most days I'm wearing a long sleeve (not safe in socal to wear without cover).

Thank you - beautiful watch!
Old 14 November 2023, 12:20 AM   #14
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedane View Post
Absolutely love the YG Daytona, am currently selling 3 other Rolex watches to fund a 126508, only with the white dial. Do it!:)

Hoping to see yours when you have it!
Old 14 November 2023, 03:36 AM   #15
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

I have a rose gold with black sub dials but with a meteorite dial.

Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 04:33 AM   #16
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Love mine.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 04:43 AM   #17
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself

Personally I love these two.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 01:21 AM   #18
Montebello
"TRF" Member

Got the lucky call and picked up today 126508 YG bracelet model from Rolex boutique just on time for my 40th birthday!
It’s my first pm model and I was shown black/gold w/diamond dial and champagne dial in the OP. Both are absolutely stunning but personally I felt black dial is more balanced, contrasted.
It’s hard to capture in the photo but I feel the new bright black sun dial (same in RG, YG, and Le Mans) and golden subdial are beautifully contrasted and the diamonds add extra depth and light play to the overall harmony. Literally spent last 2 hours just looking at the dial.��
For the champagne dial, it looks sharper and cleaner than previous version 116508 but I felt the visual impression of the black subdials became little too small with the new design and looking bit too empty overall. Also the white digits on the subdials were a little too thick/bold and stood out quite a bit. I felt would have looked nicer if they were thinner. I personally think this dial will look better on black cerachrom OF version.
In terms of the updated case design, thicker lugs and crown guards gives more substantial look to the watch, but it’s still very comfortable and I quickly got used to the hefty weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3903.jpeg (140.5 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3908.jpeg (148.3 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3818.jpeg (138.7 KB, 509 views)
Montebello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 03:05 AM   #19
Jocas712
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montebello View Post
Got the lucky call and picked up today 126508 YG bracelet model from Rolex boutique just on time for my 40th birthday!
It’s my first pm model and I was shown black/gold w/diamond dial and champagne dial in the OP. Both are absolutely stunning but personally I felt black dial is more balanced, contrasted.
It’s hard to capture in the photo but I feel the new bright black sun dial (same in RG, YG, and Le Mans) and golden subdial are beautifully contrasted and the diamonds add extra depth and light play to the overall harmony. Literally spent last 2 hours just looking at the dial.��
For the champagne dial, it looks sharper and cleaner than previous version 116508 but I felt the visual impression of the black subdials became little too small with the new design and looking bit too empty overall. Also the white digits on the subdials were a little too thick/bold and stood out quite a bit. I felt would have looked nicer if they were thinner. I personally think this dial will look better on black cerachrom OF version.
In terms of the updated case design, thicker lugs and crown guards gives more substantial look to the watch, but it’s still very comfortable and I quickly got used to the hefty weight.
Are the crown guards and lugs thicker from 116508 to 126508?

My understanding was that the steel was the one with the only updated case

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Jocas712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 03:57 AM   #20
Montebello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocas712 View Post
Are the crown guards and lugs thicker from 116508 to 126508?

My understanding was that the steel was the one with the only updated case

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Yes, 116508 had asymmetrical lugs like SS models. Now all the models have same case design.
Old 15 November 2023, 04:15 AM   #21
Montebello
"TRF" Member

case design has been updated for all the models. More changes on SS and YG models which had asymmetrical lugs but even RG and WG models changed to a lesser degree.
Old 15 November 2023, 09:39 AM   #22
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montebello View Post

Thank you for the detailed write up! That’s the kind of thing I was looking for. Congrats on your beautiful watch by the way!! Looks stunning - wear it in good health!
Old 26 May 2024, 09:30 PM   #23
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
OP, did you decide to pick one up? Am considering this beautiful reference myself. I prefer the new hour marker design myself, as the black hour markers on the last dial generation were a bit "inelegant" for me on an otherwise very classy dial.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:18 AM   #24
JenaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post

Personally I love these two.
Who doesn't!!!!!
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 10:17 AM   #25
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member