The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 9 March 2024, 01:46 AM   #1
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Datejust 16030
Inherited from Dad

Left to me by my father who passed in 2006, this was I think his favorite watch. He actually wore it more than the two-tone Submariner he left to my brother (also beautiful IMHO).

I don't know much about Breitling's, so feel free to educate me on this one. Pic's of it on my wrist today:

Officers Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 03:29 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm sorry to hear of his passing in 2096, Shannon. However, I'm glad you have this as and the additional fond memories of him.

It's a nice watch, I don't know much about it but I'm sure someone here will soon share more details.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 12:43 AM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watch. Don't know anything about it other than it looks good.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 08:09 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Sincere apologies for the typo in my original post. Do you know the model number? I'm thinking maybe Breitling Source will have some additional information.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 09:47 AM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Would be interesting to see the case back to help pinpoint a time frame. But it’s a Chronomat with a 7750 movement. Probably from the mid to late 1990’s.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 02:34 PM   #6
evamante
"TRF" Member

Looks like a Chronomat B13047

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
evamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:17 AM   #7
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Just snapped a few pics of the back and the clasp. Much appreciate the comments.

Old 12 March 2024, 11:53 PM   #8
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
It’s a pre 2000 case back. Breitling 13 movement which is a re done 7750. Non COSC.

I think the gold is gold filled. Not solid 18k but not positive.

Nice watch!
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:05 AM   #9
Dave455
"TRF" Member

As others have said, it’s a Chronomat, but a relatively early one.

After Breitling declared bankruptcy in the late 70’s, the Breitling name was bought by Ernest Schneider, with the full blessing of the Breitling family,

He owned a small watch company called Sicura, and started producing “Breitling” watches from that factory. They were all quartz, but Schneider realised the potential of the Breitling name, and proceeded to take the products upmarket.

He realised that he had to offer mechanical watches, so designed a new watch around one of the few mechanical chronograph movements available at the time - the ETA 7750.

That watch was the Chronomat, and I think it was introduced in 1984. Date wise, yours is therefore post 1984, and my gut feeling is closer to the 80’s than the later versions. I can remember seeing that exact watch for sale.

Although, in some respects, Breitling kept costs low (versions with gold tabs and winder were usually plated, not solid gold) in other respects they did these very nicely. The case edge has a beautiful smooth curve to it. A more modern watch would be straight sided to save costs.

The movements, while “off the shelf” are essentially very good, and Breitling had them properly fitted, by Kelek.

Personally, I think these were superb designs. The very first of the “new” Breitlings, so an important watch in Breitling history, but uniquely styled and beautifully proportioned.

Were it mine, I’d be tempted to have it serviced by Breitling, and probably replace the strap. The service will probably cost more than the watch did originally, but you will end up with a very wearable yet iconic timepiece, fit for another 35 years! Hopefully your Dad would be pleased!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:43 AM   #10
Dave455
"TRF" Member

One further consideration -

If you buy a Rolex, a Submariner for example, it will be identical to all the other Submariners of the same reference. It will be very similar, to all the Submariners ever built. That is an attraction in some respects. You are buying a “classic”.

Breitling, especially modern Breitling, are not like that. They will generally only retain a particular model for a few years. After that it will be replaced by something with the same name, that is probably recognisable as a similar watch, but is distinctly different.

This is why Breitling buyers sometimes do, or don’t, buy a particular watch at a particular time. It’s also why they sometimes become quite attached to the ones they have bought, or even have a degree of remorse about the ones they didn’t buy.

Couple this with the huge number of variations that Breitling typically offer - different case materials, dial colours (dial styles too) plus all the strap / bracelet options - and you begin to see why some Breitlings are almost unique pieces.

Was this maybe something that your Dad felt, and maybe why it was a favourite?
Old 13 March 2024, 03:15 AM   #11
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
One further consideration -

If you buy a Rolex, a Submariner for example, it will be identical to all the other Submariners of the same reference. It will be very similar, to all the Submariners ever built. That is an attraction in some respects. You are buying a “classic”.

Breitling, especially modern Breitling, are not like that. They will generally only retain a particular model for a few years. After that it will be replaced by something with the same name, that is probably recognisable as a similar watch, but is distinctly different.

This is why Breitling buyers sometimes do, or don’t, buy a particular watch at a particular time. It’s also why they sometimes become quite attached to the ones they have bought, or even have a degree of remorse about the ones they didn’t buy.

Couple this with the huge number of variations that Breitling typically offer - different case materials, dial colours (dial styles too) plus all the strap / bracelet options - and you begin to see why some Breitlings are almost unique pieces.

Was this maybe something that your Dad felt, and maybe why it was a favourite?
Thank you sincerely for the knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I found online this same watch (without the clasp) at a price that actually surprised me (under $1500). Given Dad's affinity for this one, often favoring it over a gorgeous TT Submariner, I thought it might fetch a larger price - but the one I saw looked pristine (not that Dad's couldn't be spruced up).
Old 13 March 2024, 03:49 AM   #12
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officers Match View Post
Thank you sincerely for the knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I found online this same watch (without the clasp) at a price that actually surprised me (under $1500). Given Dad's affinity for this one, often favoring it over a gorgeous TT Submariner, I thought it might fetch a larger price - but the one I saw looked pristine (not that Dad's couldn't be spruced up).
The $1500 seems like a fair price to me.

I’m in the U.K. and I’d expect a mint condition watch of that model and vintage to be circa £1500 to £1800 (from a dealer), but condition is all.

The reasons for the price being what it is are multiple.

Firstly, the overall quality. Although they are “good”, they are basically a Sicura watch, and they are not quite the quality of what went before, or what came later.

From the very start of the Schneider ownership, quality only ever went up (along with price, admittedly). If you look at a Chronomat now, it’s a higher quality watch in every respect. The movement, the case, the fitting, everything.

Secondly, you have supply and demand. These Chronomat’s were incredibly successful, so consequently there are a lot out there, which affects price.

Finally, Breitling, don’t hold their values like a Rolex. Never have.

On the other hand, how many items could you buy new in the 80’s or 90’s, use regularly since, and still get back more than you paid?

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the value. I’d service it, wear it, and enjoy it for what it is!
Old 13 March 2024, 11:18 PM   #13
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Dave, and really it was only curiosity on my part as to market value. This will be mine until my last breath.
Old 14 March 2024, 12:22 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Shannon, it’s so great that you have something of your dad’s to remember him by. I don’t know a lot about Breitling, but I think it’s cool that he wore it the most and that you have that memory.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:24 AM   #15
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Shannon, it’s so great that you have something of your dad’s to remember him by. I don’t know a lot about Breitling, but I think it’s cool that he wore it the most and that you have that memory.
Thank you, I do cherish it.
Old 14 March 2024, 03:41 AM   #16
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officers Match View Post
Thanks Dave, and really it was only curiosity on my part as to market value. This will be mine until my last breath.
I have pieces that are 6 figures, but the watch I wear the most is the first Omega Seamaster I bought over 20 years ago.

I forgot to tell them not to polish it on the last service and they restored it to like new condition.

My jaw hit the floor when I picked it up.

When you’re ready to service it I can’t recommend it highly enough. I’m wearing it all the time now preferentially over “rarified air” stuff.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 12:58 PM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Shannon
Sorry about your Dad, he did leave you a beautiful watch. I also believe the caseback has never been opened, notice how the wings are lined up with the crown, so perfect, could only be done by machine. If it was opened, it could never line up. I would send it back to Breitling for its day at the spa. I would not replace any of the exterior parts but the movement must need some work to keep accurate time. I have a Breitling Navitimer (Aerospace collection) from 1985, and it is one of my favorite pieces to wear. One day, one of my children will have it. Oh yes, the gold pieces are not solid, they are plated. One other comment, the leather strap has seen better days and if you are going to wear it, replace with another Breitling strap. I would hate to hear that the strap cracked and fell off and you did not know it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0375.jpeg (96.6 KB, 247 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:20 AM   #18
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
This old Breitling is in very good condition. This look reminds me about good old school Breitling.
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 04:51 AM   #19
Argo98
"TRF" Member

This model,the chronomat,in its era was the ultimate must have!
Argo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 04:43 PM   #20
lear60man
"TRF" Member

I have a Breitling Crosswind very similar to yours. Ive had it for over 20 years with no intention of selling. Wear it proudly, its a fine watch.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 10:03 PM   #21
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the replies. I do very much love this watch.