The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 April 2024, 06:35 PM   #61
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

The only good thing about getting old is that you can piss off the young

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:17 PM   #62
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Couldn’t agree more…

TRT
Healthy and conscious diet - don’t deprive but don’t be stupid.
Regular exercise with both thoughtful cardio and weights - no strain on joints and reasonable weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Also a fan. Just over 12 months in.

Hugely helpful.

And of all the people I know on it, I know of none that are not happy with the results.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:27 PM   #63
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
LOL, this is only for the older forum members, you kids stay out!

I thought turning 40 would be a big deal, it was not. 50 kind of surprised me, that's when I started having all of those mysterious pains, the hair started turning grey and the doctor added more pills to my regime.

It's the 60s that are starting to get to me. Just in the past year I've experienced things I've never had before, pinched nerve, muscle spasms, a lot of trouble sleeping (always been an issue, just much worse) and apparently I'm losing muscle tone and strength, even though my exercise/workout routine is unchanged.

As an attempt to make myself feel better (we all go through this) and perhaps help others who are also experiencing the effects of senioritis, anyone else care to share what we can all look forward to?
Im 42 but i think at this age it is retirement and enjoying life. That is what you should do.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:14 AM   #64
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My wife and. I retired at 60, later moved to an over 55 adult community in Florida. No one in our families ever did this. It was a good move.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 07:59 AM   #65
Raykv423
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio and Timex
I know I'm pretty young here but I just turned 20 and I still can't wrap my head around that i'm not getting any younger lol. I really seen a lot during those 20 years. I still feel like I'm a teenager if I'm being honest. I feel 20 years is still a long time.

Makes me wonder what I'll be like at 50-60. Hopefully I'll still driving a speedboat in Alaska by that time.
Raykv423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 08:11 AM   #66
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
So I’m 53, act like I’m 23, move like I’m 73, moan like I’m 93, and wish I was young again …
Life is a wonderful thing, when you let everything come to you instead of continually looking for it …

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:15 AM   #67
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've never had a problem with aging. Things change over time due to the natural aging process and the cumulative effects of injuries. I just take it as it comes. I've been more sedentary over the last year than I have in my life, but that's because I'm in a social activity transition and I think my body has needed to recover from overdoing things for quite a while and feeling those effect. I'm slowly making efforts to engage in activities that take a little less toll on the joints and such. Really, I'm just happy to be alive and ambulatory.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 10:22 AM   #68
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I always did strenuous things, not in an organized way like a real hobby, just difficult. All the hiking, climbing, hitchhiking, splitting wood and dirt biking really took its toll on me and by my early 50's failed back surgery and now 57 I'm disabled, overweight and use a cane. Now I'm sure I remember everything as bigger and tougher glory days but the lesson now is to humble down and find peace and productivity in the things I can still do.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 11:13 AM   #69
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I always did strenuous things, not in an organized way like a real hobby, just difficult. All the hiking, climbing, hitchhiking, splitting wood and dirt biking really took its toll on me and by my early 50's failed back surgery and now 57 I'm disabled, overweight and use a cane. Now I'm sure I remember everything as bigger and tougher glory days but the lesson now is to humble down and find peace and productivity in the things I can still do.

I like your attitude Bill.

A heart attack for me a year ago and diabetes recently. It's not as bad for me as it sounds but at 59 slow is definitely the new me. The body is just not the same.
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 11:53 AM   #70
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
In my 50s. Best years of my life. Still happily married, my kids are becoming men which is great to witness, I have enough wisdom and experience to do my job as it should be done, I appreciate and understand other people more than ever before.

As for the body... It's vintage vs. modern in a way: if you like your watches with all the scratches because it gives them character, why do you think about yourself differently? Enjoy your metaphorical loose jubilees, tropical dials, and non-polished cases of yesteryear, people.
Pretty much the same here…you forgot patina. Lots of patina on my face!

I’ve been working out daily since college, as has my husband, so physically we are healthy and in great shape…but of course luck has a lot to do with it as well. Upping protein intake and increasing weight training is important.

Bone density does decline with age, as does the body’s ability to heal. So, although I still feel as if I’m decades younger, I’m very careful about heavy lifting, and don’t want to do anything that would risk a fractured hip or femur. A major break like that, statistically speaking, would be a disaster. I know many who do continue to ski, horseback ride, go off-roading in a Polaris, etc., but the cost-benefit equation is no longer what it is in our youths.

When I turned 50, my doctor told me they call it the “Fatal 50s,” because stuff you would blow off when you’re younger can catch up to you in a big way. He told me not to ignore any issues, and to be proactive.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 01:03 PM   #71
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Love reading all your "aging" stories, keep 'em coming!

I played golf today with a guy I met in high school, circa 1973, a guy I met in college in 1975 and a guy I met at work in 1988. Needless to say, just a bunch of "old guys" enjoying life in our early retirement years. A few aches and pains but thankful to be here!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:21 PM   #72
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Had to renew my Driver's License recently for another 5 years.
It needed a new photo.
Scariest thing I have seen in years.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 08:33 PM   #73
77T

I ache in the places where I used to play.
LC, he was prescient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 10:18 PM   #74
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
Pretty much the same here…you forgot patina. Lots of patina on my face!

I’ve been working out daily since college, as has my husband, so physically we are healthy and in great shape…but of course luck has a lot to do with it as well. Upping protein intake and increasing weight training is important.

Bone density does decline with age, as does the body’s ability to heal. So, although I still feel as if I’m decades younger, I’m very careful about heavy lifting, and don’t want to do anything that would risk a fractured hip or femur. A major break like that, statistically speaking, would be a disaster. I know many who do continue to ski, horseback ride, go off-roading in a Polaris, etc., but the cost-benefit equation is no longer what it is in our youths.

When I turned 50, my doctor told me they call it the “Fatal 50s,” because stuff you would blow off when you’re younger can catch up to you in a big way. He told me not to ignore any issues, and to be proactive.
+1

In my youth I always pushed through the burn when working out. No pain, no gain mantra. In my 50’s I became much more aware of the symptoms of overtraining. Recovery from overtraining was taking weeks, not days. In my 60’s I completely revised my workouts to avoid any risk of overtraining.

Now, I focus more on maintaining balance, flexibility, and core strength than the traditional gym workouts of my past. I found that lighter weights maintain neural pathways as well as heavy weights and simple calisthenics maintain balance and flexibility as well as any of the complicated gym exercises promoted on the internet these days.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 11:58 PM   #75
casper46
"TRF" Member

I think it's all about how we deal with it.
casper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #76
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Aging. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post

A doctor friend of mine told that if you get through the 50s in good health, then it’s clear sailing to the 70s for most folks. So, what you’re saying is no joke. Don’t ignore any issues when you’re younger.

I had heart surgery at 58, but he told me that’s going to extend my life by quite a bit because they proactively addressed the issue before it became a major problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote