The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2021, 11:49 PM   #61
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Got my white Daytona in the grey market back in 2019. Was a hard decision paying over MSRP but I have NO shame here! Not a big spender so there is no way in hell I’m getting one from the AD in the NYC market. Love the watch so went for it.

Life is short, so if you can afford it, go for it! Now that the price has surged, it’s just a cherry on top! Cheers!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 12:11 AM   #62
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I bought mine at market rate in 2017, it was through a fellow TRF member actually and it was such an easy, pleasant transaction. Obviously the rate has gone up significantly since then, but I will never sell it.
Old 29 March 2021, 12:14 AM   #63
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlunn5 View Post
Just wondering who is buying Daytona's at grey market prices? Is it just the flippers/dealers who are propping up these prices? I'd love to be wrong here.. tell me if you've paid grey prices without any intention of selling your Daytona later for a profit.

.. maybe i'm just bitter
Well in another thread, a user has confirmed that he bought the $38K daytona from DSW!!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 12:18 AM   #64
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Bought grey Daytona a year ago. $23.5K was list price. I traded towards it.

Wore it a lot until I acquired other pieces that seem to steal wrist time.
Old 29 March 2021, 12:42 AM   #65
sambb
"TRF" Member

i personally would not pay that much for a daytona, but everyone has luxuries theyve enjoyed. For example, ive paid for business class or first class seats on a plane, and a lot of people wouldnt do that. Some people wouldnt buy a car for 30k, others would spend 80k. Its all relative. For me, it isnt the price of the daytona as much as it is the question of what i could do with the money if i were to do something different. In the big picture, i think sometimes people look back and wish they saved more money on lots of things.

There are people buying daytonas for 2x retail and higher, and prices are set by supply and demand.
sambb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 12:44 AM   #66
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevtcguy View Post
i know this is not what the op is really referring to, and i don’t want to hijack this thread, but i find it irritating the attitude some people exclaim on this site about purchasers paying over msrp for a piece they want. Let’s leave flipping, buying for investment etc. Completely out of this, but frankly, if someone wants a particular piece and is willing to pay whatever they do to obtain it, more power to them. “i’ll never pay more then msrp... Anyone that pays that much over msrp is stupid... Blah blah blah..” if you are adamant about never paying more then msrp for a watch, and will not buy that watch until you are able to purchase it for msrp, good for you! I wish you the best of luck in finding it quickly. If you desire a daytona (or just about any ss sport model) and are willing to pay 25k, 30k or 100k then good for you! Go ahead and buy it. Who is anyone to question how much you spend for a fine timepiece you desire. Heck, most people find it ludicrous i spent $10,000 for any watch when i bought my sub. If someone else was not as fortunate as i to find it at msrp, desires the piece and spends 13, 14, 15 25k for it, then that is their choice and congratulations! I just find these “holier then thou” posts about never paying more.... Quite pompus. If that is your choice, more power to you. If others choose to pay higher to obtain a fine timepiece they truly desire, that does not make them any less intelligent, less passionate, or less of a wis then you are.

Ok, that’s it; mini-rant over. Please continue and accept my apologies op for going off track.
+1
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 12:59 AM   #67
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTRolex View Post
Nice first post rant
lol
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:15 AM   #68
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

This is great thread!
IT IS ALL RELATIVE...
My 2 cents is this: Jerry Jones (the loquacious owner of the Dallas cowboys) was asked about about over-paying Dak Prescott 160M for 4 years. His response was ANYTHING that was ever of value to him he has ALWAYS overpaid for. And that buying a “bargain” has always been just so-so results. As it relates to this thread, for 90+% of Rolex/AP/PP enthusiasts paying 50% to 500% over list is a non-starter. But for the 1% or the 1/2 of 1 percenters paying $30-40K for a new Daytona is a winning stock trade. It’s nothing. Even dropping $300K to 1M for a Richard Mille (pronounced Reeshard Meelay) is not that big of a deal.
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:49 AM   #69
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Purchased my white dial Sept 2020 via a trusted seller here. Purchased my black dial via the Ad Nov 2020. Dgaf what anyone thinks about buying from a reseller. I guess my cost average isn't that bad.
If you don't want to pay over retail, happy waiting. I was told to start the relationship by buying a Tudor and being patient.
At 54 years old, my clock is ticking. I'm enjoying these beauties and only my son will be the next owner.
franklee168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 02:33 AM   #70
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
Purchased my white dial Sept 2020 via a trusted seller here. Purchased my black dial via the Ad Nov 2020. Dgaf what anyone thinks about buying from a reseller. I guess my cost average isn't that bad.
If you don't want to pay over retail, happy waiting. I was told to start the relationship by buying a Tudor and being patient.
At 54 years old, my clock is ticking. I'm enjoying these beauties and only my son will be the next owner.
You did fantastic. Look at what the prices are now at.
Gekota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 03:57 AM   #71
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its a pity there were not more like yourself today, but to many now which is quite sad, Rolex are no longer watches bought to wear and be enjoyed, they are now nothing more than ££££££££$$$$$$$££££££$$$$$ to many.
Thank You! I wish there were too.

To respond to Paul's comment... I'm definitely not “Holier then thou” for not paying more than MSRP for my DaytonaC. I'm just a guy who got Lucky getting a watch he Really wanted at retail w/out tax from an out of State AD back in the day!

If anyone likes and wants something in life it take work and a little luck. However they aquire what they want and at a price they are comfortable with is their business. I just wish more people who really wanted the watch to wear had the opportunity to buy it at a fair market price.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:01 AM   #72
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
$25K is nothing... and stainless steel Daytonas and Royal Oaks are a commoner’s watch in Beverly Hills, NYC, Miami, etc. You have to go iced to have something that stands out.

An example from Peter Marco...

ugh....so incredibly gaudy, i don't know how people wear watches like that.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:01 AM   #73
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Thank You! I wish there were too.

To respond to Paul's comment... I'm definitely not “Holier then thou” for not paying more than MSRP for my DaytonaC. I'm just a guy who got Lucky getting a watch he Really wanted at retail w/out tax from an out of State AD back in the day!

If anyone likes and wants something in life it take work and a little luck. However they aquire what they want and at a price they are comfortable with is their business. I just wish more people who really wanted the watch to wear had the opportunity to buy it at a fair market price.
Giraffe Manor in Nairobi?
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:07 AM   #74
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I've never paid over MSRP for any watch, that's still in production at least. I guess im not a player.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Maybe you are a smart buyer
Old 29 March 2021, 04:07 AM   #75
BNA/LION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Giraffe Manor in Nairobi?
Yes, You are correct!

I love taking my watches on different trips. One gets to go per trip. Does not matter if I bought it at MSRP or not.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 29 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #76
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Yes, You are correct!

I love taking my watches on different trips. One gets to go per trip. Does not matter if I bought it at MSRP or not.
Just curious, did you stay at the mansion or were you a day tripper?
Old 29 March 2021, 04:20 AM   #77
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:21 AM   #78
dibarch
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
Got my white Daytona in the grey market back in 2019. Was a hard decision paying over MSRP but I have NO shame here! Not a big spender so there is no way in hell I’m getting one from the AD in the NYC market. Love the watch so went for it.

Life is short, so if you can afford it, go for it! Now that the price has surged, it’s just a cherry on top! Cheers!

Same here, got mine Gray for 22K back in late 2018. I would have never gotten it from AD!!! Not a rich guy not a big spender and in NYC it's impossible!!! I can't even get a call back from ADs on any stainless steel models. I am very happy I am not sure if I would have spent more than 22K, especially not 35K. I am so happy I would not sell it. Watch guys collect and don't flip we enjoy the watches. Lastly, it was very hard to spend 10K over MSRP but I am so glad I did it.
dibarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:22 AM   #79
BNA/LION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Just curious, did you stay at the mansion or were you a day tripper?
Stayed there...

Old 29 March 2021, 04:31 AM   #80
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
ugh....so incredibly gaudy, i don't know how people wear watches like that.
And would you say the same about the Rainbow Daytona... or that’s different because it’s “original?”
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:36 AM   #81
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I would just sit here quietly if I had. Those doing it know it's ridiculous as they wire the money.

I paid a small premium to get a watch recently but not freakin double list price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Exactly! The watch world has gone mad. A SS Daytona will soon be $100,000 and everyone will think it's a deal at $90,000. It's an interesting show in psychology.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:48 AM   #82
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

P = predicted number of years waiting
A = average annual increase in MSRP
O = maximum percentage over MSRP worth paying

P x A = O
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 06:02 AM   #83
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonrolex View Post
P = predicted number of years waiting
A = average annual increase in MSRP
O = maximum percentage over MSRP worth paying

P x A = O
P = Infinity. Therefore, no premium is too much.
Old 29 March 2021, 06:11 AM   #84
Seaward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Who gives a f.

If you are boss enough to have clout with ad to get at msrp, good for you.
If you are boss enough to pay secondary, good for you

At end of the day it doesn’t matter.

^^ this
116710BLNR
116500LN
Seaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 06:27 AM   #85
tone024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16500LN
Bought black dial in october for 23k from grey. 5 months later same grey asking 28k. The same people saying no one is buying at 23k are saying that now.
tone024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:05 AM   #86
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Paid $22,900 for a white dial SS in 2019 BNIB, just as I anticipated prices going up. Glad i did - still a regular on my wrist - and always will be........
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:36 AM   #87
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Who gives a f.

If you are boss enough to have clout with ad to get at msrp, good for you.
If you are boss enough to pay secondary, good for you

At end of the day it doesn’t matter.

. Less insight but more flex buying this grey at 200% retail. Good for those guys!

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:59 AM   #88
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its a pity there were not more like yourself today, but to many now which is quite sad, Rolex are no longer watches bought to wear and be enjoyed, they are now nothing more than ££££££££$$$$$$$££££££$$$$$ to many.
Well, it's not like there aren't people who don't want to be like him. Dozens of us would love to purchase the Rolex watch we really want at msrp. The problem is that for varying reasons in todays climate, we cannot simply be part of the "bought it at msrp and will keep it club".

You know its just a watch really, but considering that we take away the flippers, investors and fly by day resellers, there shouldn't be anything wrong with buying a watch and after wearing it a few weeks realize it's not for you. Buy a Deepsea and realize it's too big, buy a Daytona and realize you really need a date and the watch is difficult to read for you......that's normal human behavior.
Unfortunately today we can't even try a watch on in a store.

I'm a year into my Daytona wait, got a BLRO in less than a year, but I'm patient and for me the waiting is actually welcomed as I'm not ready to purchase a watch at the moment, but my name is still holding my spot. I really like the Daytona and I'm very excited to one day own it, but sadly I actually may never own it, because I am not willing to pay grey prices nor do I think the watch is worth that price. The majority of watch enthusiasts today fueled by social media is just one big flex, hey look at me, look what I got.....

As Mystro said in his post, charge $50 for a big mac, it's not prime rib. You may feel good because you were able to buy it, but you still bought a regular ole big mac. I don't care what anybody says, but if you are not an ultra rich individual with money to spend frivolously and you payed over a $100k for a 5711, you're dumb.

Nothing wrong with paying a premium for what you want but when the price crosses a certain threshold, I think it becomes irresponsible to pay those certain asking prices. But again, some people use Rolex Subs as so called beater watches...to them throwing down around $100k for a watch is like me throwing down $4 for milk, in fact I probably think more about the milk than he does the watch purchase.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 11:37 AM   #89
Equity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin46 View Post
Wouldn’t pay over retail for any watch, it’s only a watch.

I have bought many sports models at retail and flipped them for big profits. if people are willing to pay these stupid sums then I will continue to flip the sports models.

Don’t like the Daytona at all so all the ones I’ve bought were to sell which has netted me a brand new current model rose gold daydate for zero money.

While in the past I wouldn’t buy anything from the AD with the pure intention on flipping it. I agree with this methodology.
If I can acquire the next step in my collection by selling something I have to a grey, it’s reasonable to do so.

There’s nothing wrong with capitalizing on the market to get there.

You mean to tell me someone can get into a full PM reference by selling a $13k Daytona to a dealer? It’s a pretty obvious solution.

I probably still wouldn’t partake but I can see why most do.

Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 12:01 PM   #90
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin46 View Post
Wouldn’t pay over retail for any watch, it’s only a watch.

I have bought many sports models at retail and flipped them for big profits. if people are willing to pay these stupid sums then I will continue to flip the sports models.

Don’t like the Daytona at all so all the ones I’ve bought were to sell which has netted me a brand new current model rose gold daydate for zero money.
and this is the main problem with the current market. you can take a watch you're offered and go and flip it for 2-3x retail instantly and you'd have to be really crazy to not do that. it's not the greys, it's the temptation that 9/10 retail buyers can't resist. and not to blame you or anything because i don't know how i would react given the opportunity
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote