The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2021, 04:04 AM   #1
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Rolex 116500 Bracelet Date Code

For the last few months, I have been looking to buy a Daytona 116500 and have been busy crawling through the various pieces for sale online. Not many dealers show the inside of the clasps but I have recently seen two 2019 watches (one white dial and one black dial) at the same dealership showing the same date code of 738 (I have also seen a late 2018 model elsewhere with the same date code). From 2015, I thought these were supposed to be a three digit random code as opposed to the previous version where the letters and numbers represented year and month of production. If it is supposed to be random, I find it strange that there would be three Daytonas sporting the same three digits on their clasps (two of which are sitting at the same dealer).

Is anyone aware of the three digit code being something different than "random"? I have attached pictures of the two 2019 pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 738.JPG (40.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 738 v2.JPG (30.5 KB, 137 views)
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:09 AM   #2
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
I’m sure the code is not random and probably some sort of inventory identification code that only Rolex knows it’s significance.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:22 AM   #3
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
I’m sure the code is not random and probably some sort of inventory identification code that only Rolex knows it’s significance.
This could be useful.....
Old 13 December 2021, 05:54 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Serial numbers are random, and unique, to each watch example.

Bracelets have never had serial numbers but have been either date-coded, or batch coded.

I don't see anything unusual with several bracelets having the same code, which would mean that they were made at the same time, or in the same batch, as they always have been. Every bracelet wouldn't likely get its own unique scrambled date code.
Old 14 December 2021, 02:23 AM   #5
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Serial numbers are random, and unique, to each watch example.

Bracelets have never had serial numbers but have been either date-coded, or batch coded.

I don't see anything unusual with several bracelets having the same code, which would mean that they were made at the same time, or in the same batch, as they always have been. Every bracelet wouldn't likely get its own unique scrambled date code.
I think you're right. With three digits each having a range of 1-9 and A to Z, there are 42,785 permutations so, if these were random codes, the odds of seeing two 2019 Daytonas for sale at the same shop with the same three letter codes would be pretty remote!

As such, there may be some useful data to collect here. The various reference websites I've seen around dating bracelets all stop at the point these three digit codes were introduced. Via the forum membership, if we could collect bracelet codes against bracelet types and watch registration dates (which gives insight into production dates) then it should be possible to produce a pretty accurate guide to dating the new style bracelet codes.

Tags
date code