The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2021, 12:14 AM   #1
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Warranty Claim w/ Modified (Brushed) Bracelet

Hi all,

Unfortunately, experiencing a weird issue with my 116710LN GMT that cropped up over the weekend. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong, but the watch won't run for more than a few minutes if it's left sitting on a table. Interestingly, if it's worn on my wrist, it'll usually last a bit longer, but inevitably I sit still for long enough and it'll stop again.

I've tried winding the crown 40-50 turns to no effect, so I imagine it's more complicated than an issue with the autowinding mechanism. I can't think of anything that would have caused this to begin happening - I wore the watch Friday, woke up on Saturday morning, and it had stopped around 7:30am.

The watch is from early 2018 and is still under warranty - my local AD advised that it would likely be sent to RSC Dallas. The only reason that I'm a bit reluctant to send it in is because in 2019, I sent the bracelet out to Rolliworks to refinish the polished center links. The watch looks awesome as is, but I'm not sure how Rolex will handle this when they receive it in its current condition. The dealer said that they might (a) not say anything and return the watch unpolished as requested, (b) restore it to original factory specifications by polishing the bracelet (and presumably the case as well), or (c) require me to purchase a new bracelet.

I plan to give call the RSC later today once they're open to confirm their official policy, but wanted to get some input on what I might expect if I sent it in. In general, I've heard pretty good things about the Dallas service center, but if they're going to give me a hard time, then I'm open to just having the watch repaired locally at my own expense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brush2.jpg (96.0 KB, 463 views)
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:18 AM   #2
winst
"TRF" Member

Just send it in on a NATO - I don’t think it would matter.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:22 AM   #3
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
I'm pretty sure you have the option to send it to RSC in Dallas without the bracelet. That was the option I had when I sent in my Tudor BB GMT to repair the date issue.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:22 AM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Yes, as the previous poster recommended, the best solution is to send on a non Rolex strap of any sort (but not a copy of a Rolex style strap). This will avoid questions, or worse, bringing your bracelet back to OEM specs during free service polish.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:25 AM   #5
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I've serviced my watch at other RSCs and though I've never requested it to not be polished I believe it is an option and they shouldn't be giving you a hard time. Either way it's best to just call and ask. Nice brushed look indeed! Good luck!
Old 14 December 2021, 12:25 AM   #6
ma2045
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, PO 2500
You've done exactly what I would have done with a watch with PCLs. Remove the strap and hand in just the watch head. Always use crown cost to fix rather than dipping into you own pocket for warranty work.
ma2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:27 AM   #7
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Have you guys sent watches into Rolex without the bracelet? I asked the service guy at my AD if I could do that and he told me that they would require me to purchase a new bracelet.
Old 14 December 2021, 01:05 AM   #8
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Just refinish the polished center links should not be any issue.

Tell RSC to leave the bracelet alone, don't polish it.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 01:15 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
One, it may not be covered under warranty if it is determined that it was damaged, causing the issue.

Two, Rolex does not usually refinish the watch during a warranty repair, if that is what this is. Occasionally they do a courtesy full service that could include this, so you should make it clear that you do not want anything refinished.

They would never require you to buy a new bracelet. If you did send it in on a non-Rolex strap, they would simply not re-install that strap.

Nothing wrong with using a good independent if you want more control on what is happening to your watch, and a quick turn-around time.
Old 14 December 2021, 01:25 AM   #10
Grapenut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
I sent my 1675 in for service through my AD this fall without a bracelet, and was told RSC Dallas required a bracelet. Worked out well for me as I wanted an oyster to go along with the jubilee, so just made the purchase.
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 01:51 AM   #11
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
I sent my 1675 in for service through my AD this fall without a bracelet, and was told RSC Dallas required a bracelet. Worked out well for me as I wanted an oyster to go along with the jubilee, so just made the purchase.
Thanks for the good data point. I guess if they make me buy a new bracelet then I probably wouldn't lose any money flipping it (I'm sure someone out there is after one). That said, I don't really want to have to deal with it.
Old 14 December 2021, 04:11 AM   #12
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Several years ago I wanted to brush the PCLs on a new GMTII I had. I called Dallas RSC first. The representative I spoke with insisted this would "ruin the watch" and I was a fool to even consider it. As for service, she said they would restore the PCLs unless I specified not to. I had it brushed by an AD, was quite pleased with the look, but as it turned out, never needed to have it serviced before selling it a year later.
Old 14 December 2021, 04:18 AM   #13
SaintMickey
Banned

I called RSC and spoke Alana.

"For new watches with modern calibers it must have a "complaint bracelet" when it leaves RSC after the service" for "vintage" they do not although you will get a quote for the "correct bracelet". You do not have to purchase for Vintage.

So if you send in a new model without one you are either buying a bracelet for them to install after the service...or shipping them the correct Rolex bracelet that came with the watch at time of purchase.

Something about ensuring the "integrity" of the new model.

Phone: (833) 765-3900

Don't kill the messenger. LOL
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 04:42 AM   #14
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Very different to here

My RSC confirmed they would reattach any bracelet or strap, as long as it was safe/secure..
Old 14 December 2021, 04:45 AM   #15
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Very different to here

My RSC confirmed they would reattach any bracelet or strap, as long as it was safe/secure..
That's why I gave name and number...almost seems unbelievable but its true.

I can't find it and it might have been on another forum but some one just went thru this and was complaining about it. They made him send his bracelet in.
Old 14 December 2021, 04:54 AM   #16
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

I called them as well and they confirmed that since it's a "modern caliber", if I sent in the watch head only, I would be required to purchase a bracelet for $1,900 in order for them to service it. I guess I'll just do that - if I don't want it, there's no shortage of demand from people who want a new one.

Seems like a ridiculous policy.
Old 14 December 2021, 05:15 AM   #17
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BostonB View Post
I called them as well and they confirmed that since it's a "modern caliber", if I sent in the watch head only, I would be required to purchase a bracelet for $1,900 in order for them to service it. I guess I'll just do that - if I don't want it, there's no shortage of demand from people who want a new one.

There are def. worse problems in the world...
Old 14 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #18
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Does compliant bracelet mean that one could order a super jubilee :-) ? I think that it fits this watch? I saw some pics of a Daytona on a super jubilee and it looked quite nice. It’s not “factory,” but it is 100% Rolex so I wonder if that counts as compliant?
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 05:37 AM   #19
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
Does compliant bracelet mean that one could order a super jubilee :-) ? I think that it fits this watch? I saw some pics of a Daytona on a super jubilee and it looked quite nice. It’s not “factory,” but it is 100% Rolex so I wonder if that counts as compliant?
I'm not calling again LOL but I believe it has to be a bracelet that "came with that watch"

Stretching but I'm sure "could have come with" is also possible...e.g DJ41 with Oyster or Jubilee one could easily say AD did the swap at time of sale I believe. But I haven't read the find print.
Old 14 December 2021, 05:39 AM   #20
bullies
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did you ask them if they'll just leave your bracelet alone since it IS original to the watch and has only been brushed?
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 05:52 AM   #21
envuks

Quote:

Seems like a good work around for the Rolex parts shortage in the marketplace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 05:54 AM   #22
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post

It is quite a nice combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 06:05 AM   #23
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
Did you ask them if they'll just leave your bracelet alone since it IS original to the watch and has only been brushed?
Slow day at the office...I called again Mainly out of my own morbid curiosity.

I spoke to Nita and she said that if you send in a PCL bracelet that is correct for the watch and you've had the PCL's brushed and if it was done by a "Rolex service center and or by an AD" - "It would depend on the quality of the work done".

I didn't think she quite understood the fact that the PCL were now no longer "polished" so...

I then pressed her and said "well how could "my father in law" have had it done "correctly" if the RSC does not do this service and that is not correct for this model".

She said "ah good point let me get clarification" and put me on hold to speak a Lead Service Technician who confirmed that "if it was done by an AD it "should be" fine and that they would have to see the watch to 100% confirm". They said they will call and discuss with the customer once they evaluate the bracelet.

Sounds like to me it will be a battle for some reason because she just couldn't say that its ok to send the watch back after a RSC visit without it being to spec...

I said I understood everything she's told me from her Tech but it doesn't make sense because you allow people to say "do not polish bracelet" and she said that is correct. Put on hold again and she came back and said "the lead technician said that as long as they can evaluate all the parts/links of the bracelet are 100% Rolex then a note to NOT polish bracelet can be put in the work order". She advised to make sure this was also noted on the paper work when the watch and bracelet is shipped.

So what's the difference between a beat up bracelet and one with PCL's brushed...the world may never know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 345CEDDA-B8C3-4501-BD18-A3CFA7E8B968.jpeg (53.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 14 December 2021, 06:12 AM   #24
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Do you know anyone you could trade your bracelet for a PCL and then swap back once the service is complete?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 06:16 AM   #25
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you guys sent watches into Rolex without the bracelet? I asked the service guy at my AD if I could do that and he told me that they would require me to purchase a new bracelet.

I have done this on purpose because I wanted a Glidelock bracelet to wear with my five-digit Sub. Because they are scarce, you could sell it at a profit like the watch, so why not go down this road anyway?
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 06:30 AM   #26
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Slow day at the office...I called again Mainly out of my own morbid curiosity.

I spoke to Nita and she said that if you send in a PCL bracelet that is correct for the watch and you've had the PCL's brushed and if it was done by a "Rolex service center and or by an AD" - "It would depend on the quality of the work done".

I didn't think she quite understood the fact that the PCL were now no longer "polished" so...

I then pressed her and said "well how could "my father in law" have had it done "correctly" if the RSC does not do this service and that is not correct for this model".

She said "ah good point let me get clarification" and put me on hold to speak a Lead Service Technician who confirmed that "if it was done by an AD it "should be" fine and that they would have to see the watch to 100% confirm". They said they will call and discuss with the customer once they evaluate the bracelet.

Sounds like to me it will be a battle for some reason because she just couldn't say that its ok to send the watch back after a RSC visit without it being to spec...

I said I understood everything she's told me from her Tech but it doesn't make sense because you allow people to say "do not polish bracelet" and she said that is correct. Put on hold again and she came back and said "the lead technician said that as long as they can evaluate all the parts/links of the bracelet are 100% Rolex then a note to NOT polish bracelet can be put in the work order". She advised to make sure this was also noted on the paper work when the watch and bracelet is shipped.

So what's the difference between a beat up bracelet and one with PCL's brushed...the world may never know.
Appreciate you taking the time to call them back. I think I'm just going to send it in without the bracelet. I like my current bracelet and wouldn't want to have to deal with it if whoever actually inspected the watch took it upon themselves to refinish it or to replace it with a new one. It seems like there's a lot of inconsistency with how this is approached and it depends on who you talk to at RSC (and this is further demonstrated by your phone call). The one thing that is consistent is that if I send them the watch head without a bracelet, they will make me buy a new one at a cost lower than its market price. Either I can keep it to be able to switch back and forth, or I can flip it and give someone a good deal.

I didn't tell them that the bracelet had been brushed - I just told them it's in storage since I've been wearing the watch on a different strap and I don't have access to it at the moment.
Old 14 December 2021, 06:41 AM   #27
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Appreciate you taking the time to call them back. I think I'm just going to send it in without the bracelet. I like my current bracelet and wouldn't want to have to deal with it if whoever actually inspected the watch took it upon themselves to refinish it or to replace it with a new one. It seems like there's a lot of inconsistency with how this is approached and it depends on who you talk to at RSC (and this is further demonstrated by your phone call). The one thing that is consistent is that if I send them the watch head without a bracelet, they will make me buy a new one at a cost lower than its market price. Either I can keep it to be able to switch back and forth, or I can flip it and give someone a good deal.

I didn't tell them that the bracelet had been brushed - I just told them it's in storage since I've been wearing the watch on a different strap and I don't have access to it at the moment.
I wouldn't want to pay for it but I wouldn't mind a spare Rolex bracelet in the drawer...but I am a bit of a hoarder.