The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Wanting To Buy - Watches etc.

Old 24 October 2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Carolina Girl

Watch: Rolex Pearlmaster
Buying used online? Ebay?

After much thought, I have finally decided on what watch I want, and am now unsure on how to go about getting it!

We don't have used watch dealers in my area, so I have been looking on here every day, and on Ebay and Chrono24.

I'd love to buy from a trusted seller on here, but have not seen the watch I am looking for. I can find it on Chrono24 and Ebay, but I'm not really very familiar with Chrono24, and I don't know how much I should be offering for the watches that have the "Best Offer" option on Ebay.

I want to get the watch for a fair price, but I don't want to pay too much. I tried looking in the sold items on Ebay for an idea on what they are selling for, but none like I am looking for have sold.

I would like:

Ladies yellow gold President with black dial and either diamond or Roman markers. Model 179138. Age 2004 - 2007. Must be in excellent condition with little to no stretch to the bracelet and with all papers/box/booklets.

The asking price on Ebay (with an option to make an offer) seems to be running in the $17.5 - 18.9k range.

Has anyone on here bought from Ebay - preferably seller Santblanc - and/or anyone who could give me some guidance on what kind of offer I should expect to make?

Thank you!!!
Carolina Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:12 AM   #2
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
send one of the sellers a message and ask them to track it down for you =)
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:13 AM   #3
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I would PM one or two guys (trusted sellers) to see if I could order the watch I wanted. IMHO this would be the safest bet.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:15 AM   #4
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
I'd stay off ebay

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:15 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl View Post
After much thought, I have finally decided on what watch I want, and am now unsure on how to go about getting it!

We don't have used watch dealers in my area, so I have been looking on here every day, and on Ebay and Chrono24.

I'd love to buy from a trusted seller on here, but have not seen the watch I am looking for. I can find it on Chrono24 and Ebay, but I'm not really very familiar with Chrono24, and I don't know how much I should be offering for the watches that have the "Best Offer" option on Ebay.

I want to get the watch for a fair price, but I don't want to pay too much. I tried looking in the sold items on Ebay for an idea on what they are selling for, but none like I am looking for have sold.

I would like:

Ladies yellow gold President with black diamond dial and either diamond or Roman markers. Age 2004 - Present. Asking price (with an option to make an offer) seems to be running in the $17.5 - 18.9k range.

Has anyone on here bought from Ebay - preferably Santblanc - and/or anyone who could give me some guidance on what kind of offer I should expect to make?

Thank you!!!
On places like Ebay always buy the seller before the watch myself would drop a PM to any one of our many trusted sellers on forum. Ask a few of them to try and get the watch you want at the price you are willing to pay..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Carolina Girl

The Santblanc seller on Ebay seems to be extremely reputable, and the watch comes with a 3 year warranty, but I guess you never know!

I am new to the forum and don't really know which seller(s) on TRF might be best able to help? (It seems like not nearly as many ladies watches are sold on here.)

Please post here (or PM me if you'd rather) to let me know who I should contact, and still would love to hear from anyone with Ebay buying experiences as well.

Thank you!
Old 24 October 2013, 01:28 AM   #7
timely

Watch: 3131 bubble back
I was very happy with my purchase from Saint Blanc and there service was great
timely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 01:50 AM   #8
Carolina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by timely View Post
I was very happy with my purchase from Saint Blanc and there service was great
Thank you!

Did you do a "buy it now" or make an offer?

Could you PM me with more info if you made an offer?
Old 24 October 2013, 02:06 AM   #9
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Buy from a TRF trusted seller
Old 24 October 2013, 02:19 AM   #10
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

I would def stay away from ebay if you lack experience in the watches and purchasing from the internet. There are deals to be had but you should be very cautious. It is risky even for experienced buyers and sellers. I would recommend that you contact the trusted sellers and i am sure they would be able to help you out. Good luck.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 02:22 AM   #11
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
I've bought Rolex and non Rolex watches on eBay and sold non Rolex watches there. I've never been burned, but I always check the seller and I also know what I am looking at when I buy. Also use Paypal due to it's protection program.

Dave
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 02:32 AM   #12
scranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII, DD, Daytona
Sant Blanc has a good reputation, as does Watch Chest. If you check their websites, you'll see they're both located in the same building in Branson, MO. I've dealt with the latter and had no problems whatsoever. Make SB an offer; you've nothing to lose.
scranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 03:57 AM   #13
CFAmick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp I, 6694
This is my first post here, and I promise I'm not a shill, and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been making spreadsheets that detail that value of hundreds of Datejusts and Oyster models, and in my estimation, Beckertime offers the most accurate value for a watch. If you pay more, you're probably overpaying. If you pay less, there's a reason: after market bands, an import tax, or, it requires servicing.

You might be able to find a good watch for less, if you're patient, but with a reputable seller, you know you're getting a great watch.
CFAmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 04:04 AM   #14
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
looked at some of beckers stuff ,,, buy here from a trusted seller ,,, thats all ill say.
better bet in the long run.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 04:55 AM   #15
Carolina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
looked at some of beckers stuff ,,, buy here from a trusted seller ,,, thats all ill say.
better bet in the long run.
I had looked at some of their items also.

Concur with you.
Old 24 October 2013, 05:16 AM   #16
CFAmick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp I, 6694
Do you think Bectertime is overpriced, or is he misrepresenting the quality?
CFAmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 05:19 AM   #17
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I would never spend "high-teens" on a watch sight unseen. Either fly there and look at the watch or use a trusted forum member and be patient.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 05:20 AM   #18
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
I've bought a couple off eBay, no dramas. If you know your beans or have done your homework you've nothing to worry about & can often get a deal. If in no hurry search locally & see if possible to view first.

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 05:28 AM   #19
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:

I would like:

Ladies yellow gold President with black dial and either diamond or Roman markers. Model 179138. Age 2004 - 2007. Must be in excellent condition with little to no stretch to the bracelet and with all papers/box/booklets.

The asking price on Ebay (with an option to make an offer) seems to be running in the $17.5 - 18.9k range.

Has anyone on here bought from Ebay - preferably seller Santblanc - and/or anyone who could give me some guidance on what kind of offer I should expect to make?

Thank you!!!
First of all, welcome -

I went to the Saint Blanc store and looked at some Subs. Their prices seemed to be in the same range as trusted sellers here; in some cases Saint Blanc was higher.

I understand they may have the watch you want, but as others have pointed out, you could ask a trusted seller here to seek one out for you. I suspect that you could end up with the same watch for a better price here.

As for making an offer, you can certainly make an offer to a trusted seller here; that option is not limited to Ebay.

Good luck!
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 05:38 AM   #20
Carolina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFAmick View Post
Do you think Bectertime is overpriced, or is he misrepresenting the quality?
Neither.

I want totally factory, with docs, and most of what he had when I had looked was aftermarket or no books/papers, and/or not in the pristine condition I am looking for.
Old 24 October 2013, 05:42 AM   #21
Carolina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
First of all, welcome -

I went to the Saint Blanc store and looked at some Subs. Their prices seemed to be in the same range as trusted sellers here; in some cases Saint Blanc was higher.

I understand they may have the watch you want, but as others have pointed out, you could ask a trusted seller here to seek one out for you. I suspect that you could end up with the same watch for a better price here.

As for making an offer, you can certainly make an offer to a trusted seller here; that option is not limited to Ebay.

Good luck!
Thank you!

Sant Blanc seems to have very nice watches, and their prices do reflect that. They offer returns if I did not like the watch when it arrived, and I would have the protection of my cc company also. I'm not quite so worried about SB as they have been selling a long time and also have a physical location.

If anyone can suggest a trusted seller on here, that would be great. I did not see many selling ladies watches, and so I don't know where to start with that!
Old 24 October 2013, 06:13 AM   #22
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have purchased off ebay before....no issues whatsoever.....do your homework before making a purchase....ask questions...see the history.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 06:24 AM   #23
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Contact David SW one of our most reputable sellers. I would be very hesitant to spend more than a few hundred dollars on EBay.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
For E-bay...always buy the seller before the Rolex! I have been buying and selling on E-bay since 1997 and that strategy has worked for me 100% of the time with zero issues. Over the years especially late 90's early 00s I made a killing buying and selling there! Now it's much much harder.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 08:08 AM   #25
rolley7
"TRF" Member

Watch: the eastern sky
I have been burned on E bay...but I was stupid, however I have also gotten some good deals there ....so bottom line.....just be careful....and buy in person if at all possible.
rolley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 08:10 AM   #26
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Send a PM to the seller lawrenceB, he seems to list a lot of lady DJ's. I'd becoome a pledge member and also post a WTB ad as well. There are so many great sellers on this forum, that it is almost an injustice to recommend just one...so do a little homework, call a few sellers on the phone and see what they can find you. TRUST ME, you are not bothering them when you call, their business is to sell watches. Good luck
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 08:22 AM   #27
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Professor View Post
Contact David SW one of our most reputable sellers. I would be very hesitant to spend more than a few hundred dollars on EBay.
I agree with this about eBay and highly recommend DavidSW.
That said; when I was looking to buy last I had spoken with the guys in Branson at Sant Blanc and they seem to be very fair and knowledgable.
...but in the end I bought from DavidSW here on the forum.
Like so many here on TRF say: buy the seller first. That way if anything were to go wrong you'll be taken care of in good hands.
Good luck!
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 08:26 AM   #28
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Always buy the seller first.

Good luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 10:00 AM   #29
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234
Quote:
I had looked at some of their items also.

Concur with you.
Some of beckertimes watches does have aftermarket bracelets, but it does say so in the listings.
cocopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 10:02 AM   #30
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234
I got my rolex Airking 14000m and got a great deal, had it looked at, although upon reciept I could easily tell the movement and parts were authentic.
cocopeep is offline   Reply With Quote