The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2019, 09:05 AM   #1
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Icon5 Ceramic Coating For Your Car, Is it Worth the Price?

I ran into a auto dealing shop and this car was getting a Ceramic Coating applied to it. A local dealer sent it out to get done before they sell the car. Nice Ride!
https://www.autodetailingsolutions.n...c-coating.html

So I asked the guy, what would it cost to do my M6? He quoted $1,100! That is with the complete detail clay bar and all then applying Two Coats of the ceramic coating. I understand it a new product but seems a little pricy.

Anyone had a ceramic coating put on their car?
If so, was it worth it?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:19 AM   #2
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Yes it’s worth it if you get a full paint correction first.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:22 AM   #3
BNA/LION

Ceramic Coating For Your Car, Is it Worth the Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Yes it’s worth it if you get a full paint correction first.
That is what was included for the $1,100 I was quoted. I'm considering having it done. Thanks!

Anyone else?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 13 April 2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I've researched and priced applying the coating to my car and found a high degree of variability on the price from different places. The paint correction is critical for the appearance of the coated car to be as nice as you expect. Nobody wants to throw money away but this isn't the type of thing to go with the lowest bidder. I'm still considering whether to do it or not.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:00 AM   #5
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
If you wash and wax your car regularly, I say dont do it. If not then I guess its ok.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:10 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Personally, I’d avoid this one – next to nothing about them showing up, and no other ceramic coating suggests layering, which is more typical of waxes and sealants.
If you want your car coated, look for G Techniq, Gyeon, or Coating Farm Ceramics accredited detailers.
Durabilty comes at the expense of ease of application, more often than not, hence those versions will not be available for retail purchase – the one shown can be bought by anyone with $35-40 in their pocket.

There are a plethora of these coatings floating about now, most coming from China, often of variable quality from batch to batch, with the best ones originating in Korea or Germany.
I’m not saying that this one is junk, but with no real noise about it onlinr, including a website, I’m sceptical that it’s as good as it claims on the label.

Remember, 9H is sapphire/tungsten carbide level hardness, the same as the front crystal on most watches – I’d need more to go on in order to have full confidence that Magna was up there rather than another me-too watered-down version purely for the diyer/amateur detailer.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:16 AM   #7
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Depends on the product. I paid $1300 for CQuartz Professional with a full paint correction.

I find it worth it the cost as I don’t have the time I used to in order to detail my cars. Now it’s just foam, spray, detail spray and done. What used to be a 2-3 hour task is now 30 minutes.

However, I only took this type of time on dark colored vehicles. Anything light such as silver or white, I never really put much effort in as it hides swirls and looks clean even if it isn’t.

If your M is darker in color I think it is worth the money. I don’t think you will see the value on a white vehicle. Also never heard of Magna.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:16 AM   #8
BNA/LION

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Personally, I’d avoid this one – next to nothing about them showing up, and no other ceramic coating suggests layering, which is more typical of waxes and sealants.
If you want your car coated, look for G Techniq, Gyeon, or Coating Farm Ceramics accredited detailers.
Durabilty comes at the expense of ease of application, more often than not, hence those versions will not be available for retail purchase – the one shown can be bought by anyone with $35-40 in their pocket.

There are a plethora of these coatings floating about now, most coming from China, often of variable quality from batch to batch, with the best ones originating in Korea or Germany.
I’m not saying that this one is junk, but with no real noise about it onlinr, including a website, I’m sceptical that it’s as good as it claims on the label.

Remember, 9H is sapphire/tungsten carbide level hardness, the same as the front crystal on most watches – I’d need more to go on in order to have full confidence that Magna was up there rather than another me-too watered-down version purely for the diyer/amateur detailer.
I'll check them out, Thanks! I'm doing research as I have not been exposed to ceramic coatings before.

Old 13 April 2019, 11:14 AM   #9
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Larry, I had both the SLS done and the Ferrari done with CQuartz Pro. On the Ferrari, I had the CQuartz applied on top of the clear Xpel wrap on the entire car. The key to getting amazing results is the prep or paint correction. The beauty of it, for approx 2 years, I never had to wax the car, just a simple reload of the spray they give you every few weeks after a wash, and it looks new and wet. Another thing to consider is to also have it applied to your wheels. The brake dust is super easy to dust off or rinse. If you don’t like taking time to do these all yourself, then it’s worth it. For me at least it is. And, the price you are quoted is about right. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:17 AM   #10
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
If you wash and wax your car regularly, I say dont do it. If not then I guess its ok.
I've had it done, would never do it again.

Google how to remove it...

It is not true that dirt doesn't stick to it.
touchless wash system won't get ANYTHING off of it.

it's not any shinier than a new car.

we do wraps and ppf and i didn't want either on my 911.
i wish i had done my research before i was sold the coating.

i'd rather wash every week, and polish once or twice a year. nope. never again.

oh, i managed to make nice scratches too, trying to wash off something. yes, my bad, but i think i scratched the actual coating. will try to fix that in the next day or two.

never. again.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

Seems better value than a ceramic Rolex bezel insert, or a ceramic AP case
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would have it done if it was a new car or a car I plan on keeping for a few years more. I wouldn't get it done if I was changing cars next year for example. I'd also go the route Nicholas went above and have the car wrapped first and then ceramic coating put over the wrap. The wrap gives much more protection from stone chips etc. to the paint where the ceramic coat will make it easier to clean, better for water run off etc., while offering improved protection over the paint itself. A good wrap when fitted correctly is great.
I bought a new car a couple of weeks ago so I'm currently researching having it done again. My wife had it done on her previous car so I have seen the benefits first hand.
If I was only going to choose 1 option, either wrapping with clear wrap or ceramic coating I think I'd lean towards a good quality clear wrap for the increased chip protection it gives.
Old 13 April 2019, 01:59 PM   #13
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
In all honesty,

don't you guys think that ppf is the same as leaving stickers on your watch?

to me it's the same.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:07 PM   #14
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
My Golf R has it and it still looks new like the day I bought it. It ended up being free due to them doing the car beforehand. I would normally pass because I always have or do hand wash and take really good car of cars.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:09 PM   #15
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Had my S550 Designo Magno Cashmere done with CQuartz Finest Reserve. Really great

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:13 PM   #16
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
I've had it done, would never do it again.

Google how to remove it...

It is not true that dirt doesn't stick to it.
touchless wash system won't get ANYTHING off of it.

it's not any shinier than a new car.

we do wraps and ppf and i didn't want either on my 911.
i wish i had done my research before i was sold the coating.

i'd rather wash every week, and polish once or twice a year. nope. never again.

oh, i managed to make nice scratches too, trying to wash off something. yes, my bad, but i think i scratched the actual coating. will try to fix that in the next day or two.

never. again.
Your car is black, right? I think plays a part as well. My R has it (it’s red) and it’s scratch free and looks new 1-year into ownership. But I always power wash (safely) the dirt off before it’s washed so that avoids swirls even on coating. It’s not diamond coating, so care, even with it, is crucial. But for me personally, I wouldn’t have normally done, because my analness in keeping things very clean, proceeds regardless.

Old 13 April 2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacken View Post
Had my S550 Designo Magno Cashmere done with CQuartz Finest Reserve. Really great

Haha that garage is cleaner than that already superbly clean S-class.

Old 13 April 2019, 02:17 PM   #18
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Haha that garage is cleaner than that already superbly clean S-class.

Unfortunately that’s the detailers garage not mine!

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:21 PM   #19
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
In all honesty,

don't you guys think that ppf is the same as leaving stickers on your watch?

to me it's the same.
I was thinking this, but didn't want to be the first one to say it.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:21 PM   #20
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Ceramic coatings are good for keeping a high gloss, reducing the amount of scratches/swirls, and making it easier to wash your cars, but it offers no protection against big scratches, rock chips, etc... That is where a paint protection film comes in. The downside with PPF is that it can slightly reduce the luster of your cars paint. Since your M6 is white, Larry, I don't think it is as noticeable so I think installing a PPF would be the way to go for you.

Or, if you are really crazy, you can do a ceramic coating AND PPF.

And yes, depending on the product and the prep work, ceramic coating can easily be 1-2k. The same goes for PPF (actually, PPF can be even more expensive).
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:57 PM   #21
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that a quality full PPF job is $5-8k and could go up from there.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 08:49 PM   #22
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
My mindset as well.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 08:56 PM   #23
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
I’m with Danny , if your car is garaged I see no need for it.
If you read to specs of modern vehicle paint the clear coat has ceramic content , making it chip and scratch resistant from the factory
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:13 PM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
It has been for me, yes.

I had it done on my then new 2014 E350

Modesta was used on the entire car including the wheels

http://www.modesta.co/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:30 PM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Keep in mind that a quality full PPF job is $5-8k and could go up from there.
How long does PPF remain perfect looking?

How much does it cost to refresh the original paint?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:33 PM   #26
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
XPEL Film for front and modesta on rest. You can literally pressure wash clean with distilled water without having to three bucket the car.

Usually do this as maintenance wash with full detail wash about once a month.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:07 AM   #27
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Has anyone heard of Williams F1 Ceramic Coating?
Have ordered a new BMW and noted on my order that the BMW Main Dealer had added on without my permission GBP495.00 or about $650.00 for it.
Have asked them to take it off.
I look after my cars with a BMW liquid polish at least every year and a 20/14 day interval for washing and have always considered my cars look OK.
Have always understood BMW cars have a clear coat on the paint therefore have never considered it necessary as one is only really polishing up the the clear coat.
I note that the blurb states the Warranty for this Williams Ceramic is only OK for bird droppings if they are notified 21days beforehand.
So how good is it really?
Sounds like snake oil to me!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:12 AM   #28
PJ S
Banned

See my previous post.

Is the dealer asking for an extra £500 over what you agreed at the time of sale?
If so, then you’re well within your rights to not pay for it, but don’t allow yourself to be guilt tripped due to the “cost” – it’ll have only cost them £30 at most, and probably not applied correctly or fully by their minimum wage valeting staff.

Even G Techniq has gone down this road with their Platinum range, screwing over their local accredited detailers who were brought in by the dealerships. I doubt it’s any better than Supagard and others typically sold by dealerships.

One point of clarity regarding the hardness, which is what I get for posting whilst tired, is that 9H is pencil hardness, not Mohs – so the scratch resistance is a lot less than a watch crystal, but certainly more than the clearcoat on its own.
If you still wash it carelessly, as most hand wash places often do, then you’ll have wasted a lot of money.
Also, don’t be fooled by the self-cleaning properties – it’s nonsense. Fine traffic film is very sticky, so you’ll still have a dirty vehicle, maybe a bit less than unprotected paintwork, but you’ll need to foam and wash properly (top to bottom, rinsing mitt often) and rinse with filtered water or blow dry to minimise hard water spots.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:39 AM   #29
mmutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
I was thinking this, but didn't want to be the first one to say it.
Agreed. People get flamed all day when they ask about a protective covering on a watch. All good when you ask about a car
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:23 AM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmutte View Post
Agreed. People get flamed all day when they ask about a protective covering on a watch. All good when you ask about a car

When I hang my watch out the window for 40-50K miles then I will protect my watch
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote