The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 September 2022, 05:40 AM   #1
Rwc1313
"TRF" Member

Tudor 79190 parts “individuality”

Hi all,

I am a relatively new fan and window shopper of Rolex/Tudor and recently purchased a Tudor 79190. To me this model is a nice compromise of old and new with the solid link bracelet and unidirectional bezel. I would have probably preferred a 79090 for the plexi crystal but I hadn’t been able to find a decent example that was within my budget. Overall I am pretty happy so far with the decision.

My question is about the parts interchangeability with this specific model and other Tudor/Rolex subs? It seems that the 79090 shares quite a few of its parts with its Rolex counterparts like the case, bezel/insert, crystal, ect… but the 79190 is more specific to itself with the introduction of the sapphire crystal and the unidirectional bezel. I’m assuming the bezel insert cannot be interchanged with any from a 79090 which I believe to be interchangeable with several Rolex models. At first I thought maybe the insert would be the same as one from a 16800/168000 but I’ve also noticed the lume pips between these and the Tudors are different.

I apologize if this is deemed a noob question but there doesn’t seem to be a whole bunch of info specifically to the 79190 out there and really would just like to know out of curiosity. Anyways, any info specific to this model is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Rwc1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 11:16 AM   #2
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc1313 View Post
Hi all,

I am a relatively new fan and window shopper of Rolex/Tudor and recently purchased a Tudor 79190. To me this model is a nice compromise of old and new with the solid link bracelet and unidirectional bezel. I would have probably preferred a 79090 for the plexi crystal but I hadn’t been able to find a decent example that was within my budget. Overall I am pretty happy so far with the decision.

My question is about the parts interchangeability with this specific model and other Tudor/Rolex subs? It seems that the 79090 shares quite a few of its parts with its Rolex counterparts like the case, bezel/insert, crystal, ect… but the 79190 is more specific to itself with the introduction of the sapphire crystal and the unidirectional bezel. I’m assuming the bezel insert cannot be interchanged with any from a 79090 which I believe to be interchangeable with several Rolex models. At first I thought maybe the insert would be the same as one from a 16800/168000 but I’ve also noticed the lume pips between these and the Tudors are different.

I apologize if this is deemed a noob question but there doesn’t seem to be a whole bunch of info specifically to the 79190 out there and really would just like to know out of curiosity. Anyways, any info specific to this model is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Not sure if you've found your answers.. but I've been doing some searching and maybe this may help..or lead you to other investigations .. I gues it's not as cut and dry as it may seem.. tho I would think it would.
Curious if you found your answers.....!
https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...79090-vs-79190
Also...check with 'Harry in Montreal' on here..(https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=20263). He knows the Tudor..and provided insite when I found my 79190...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 02:43 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sapphire crystal bezel inserts are not generally interchangeable with plexi crystal models.

Being interchangeable does not mean that they are cosmetically the same. You can put a GMT insert on a Sub but it wouldn't be right.
Old 19 December 2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Rwc1313
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sapphire crystal bezel inserts are not generally interchangeable with plexi crystal models.

Being interchangeable does not mean that they are cosmetically the same. You can put a GMT insert on a Sub but it wouldn't be right.
That's true, and from what I have found from looking it looks like the 79190 insert is unique to this reference only, along with the bezel itself, crystal, case, and a lot of other parts I hadn't realized.

Does anyone know if the bezel pearl is the same as those used in earlier Tudor/Rolex subs, the non "surrounded" versions? Mine is chipped and if I could find a intact tritium one in the future to replace it with I would like to...
Rwc1313 is offline   Reply With Quote