The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2024, 07:17 AM   #61
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR4 View Post
I went in, expressed interest in the GMT's and further dialog led to my hope to gift my nephews Subs. I already have one.

How you would have approached it is not particularly relevant at this point. I've expressed interest and we will see if it goes anywhere. You, like a few others, seem to insinuate I went in like a high roller making demands. That's not the case. The word cash (as far as I can recall) was never mentioned.

Thanks. I fear I better not get them for my nephews. Based on this thread, it appears there is a 50% chance they will become arrogant and insulting as soon as a Rolex hits their wrist.
You have to forgive the sarcastic responses, but coming on to this forum with the “I like em so much I’ll have 6” to an AD is sure to garner a bit of chuckles. Some have been on the wait list for similar pieces for a long time. I suspect the responses would be a little more hostile if you somehow managed to get them.
But good luck
Old 1 February 2024, 07:21 AM   #62
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
You have to forgive the sarcastic responses, but coming on to this forum with the “I like em so much I’ll have 6” to an AD is sure to garner a bit of chuckles. Some have been on the wait list for similar pieces for a long time. I suspect the responses would be a little more hostile if you somehow managed to get them.
But good luck
The only one they will hate more is the guy that got a white ss Daytona on a walk-in.
Old 1 February 2024, 07:25 AM   #63
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Hey, you never know. Keanu Reeves got 4 submariner for his stuntmen for John Wick 4.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 07:28 AM   #64
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But good luck
I can handle it.
Again, that's not how the conversation went.
I expressed interest in 2 versions of the GMT.
When the SA was entering the info he asked if there was a 3rd model I might be interested in. That is how/why the subs came up. It was a casual conversation after I showed interest in the GMT.
DVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 07:30 AM   #65
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Just putting myself in the manager's shoes, I'd be more inclined to sell one Sub to each of six different customers than six Subs to one customer in one go. It'd be moving the same volume of product, but with some going to customers with a buying history, and the rest going to those already in the queue. You're in the queue now, but just a guess that you'd get calls for one (or maybe two) at a time.

But best of luck to you, hoping to be able to offer congrats to your nephews & nieces before Christmas.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 07:32 AM   #66
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
I can handle it.
Again, that's not how the conversation went.
I expressed interest in 2 versions of the GMT.
When the SA was entering the info he asked if there was a 3rd model I might be interested in. That is how/why the subs came up. It was a casual conversation after I showed interest in the GMT.
No worries….if you get them, good on you.
Old 1 February 2024, 07:32 AM   #67
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The only one they will hate more is the guy that got a white ss Daytona on a walk-in.
Thank goodness I don't want one of those. Can't imagine the negative comments that would generate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
Hey, you never know. Keanu Reeves got 4 submariner for his stuntmen for John Wick 4.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Too bad I don't know him. Maybe he could pull some strings for me.

$100 gift cards are starting to seem like better gifts at this point.
Old 1 February 2024, 07:37 AM   #68
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Just putting myself in the manager's shoes, I'd be more inclined to sell one Sub to each of six different customers than six Subs to one customer in one go. It'd be moving the same volume of product, but with some going to customers with a buying history, and the rest going to those already in the queue. You're in the queue now, but just a guess that you'd get calls for one (or maybe two) at a time.

But best of luck to you, hoping to be able to offer congrats to your nephews & nieces before Christmas.
I get that. It makes sense as well.
The flip side is we all live in the same town. They have the ability to be great customers. Unlike myself, apparently.

I did get invited to some kind of fancy watch and whiskey night. So, maybe I'm moving up in importance! Too bad I don't drink.
Thanks for wishing me luck!

Quote:
No worries….if you get them, good on you.
My expectations have been adjusted!
thanks
Old 1 February 2024, 07:42 AM   #69
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Good Luck OP! There certainly is not a shortage, that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 07:48 AM   #70
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I can handle it.

I posted earlier and read all the posts. You're a good sport. I, too, got some hazing when I posted my experience / purchases at an AD in 2021 to get a Submariner Date. It's to be expected when sharing on-line.

The SA asking about a third watch choice, read between the lines, that means are there any watches besides stainless Rolex you want because you're not getting a stainless Rolex from us.

Keep being optimistic but it truthfully won't happen unless market values drop below retail price. Look at it this way, and I'll refer to only one Submariner, why should they sell you that watch and nothing else when the next guy will spend $10,000 on other merchandise and buy the Submariner? Now, multiply that buy six stainless Submariners and much more for each GMT. That's how ADs look at it and why others here posted you're not supporting the AD. Stainless Rolex sell themselves, they don't need you to sell them, that's unfortunately the reality right now and how everyone looks at it.

Also, keep in mind the sales person you deal with doesn't make any decisions who gets each stainless Rolex. That sales person needs to get approval to sell you any of those watches, that manager will simply see you haven't bought other merchandise, and say no, that's all there is too it. One or more of those watches are in the back safe. You simply cannot have one.

Another thing, asking for six Submariners is something a backpack reseller would do. Your intentions may be sincere but all they see is someone who would walk out the door and sell them right away at a profit.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 07:59 AM   #71
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Good Luck OP! There certainly is not a shortage, that’s for sure.

Time will tell. Hopefully, I can wait until a batman becomes available.
Leaving out the nephews, I can buy both GMT grey and still come out ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I posted earlier and read all the posts. You're a good sport. I, too, got some hazing when I posted my experience / purchases at an AD in 2021 to get a Submariner Date. It's to be expected when sharing on-line.

The SA asking about a third watch choice, read between the lines, that means are there any watches besides stainless Rolex you want because you're not getting a stainless Rolex from us.

Keep being optimistic but it truthfully won't happen unless market values drop below retail price. Look at it this way, and I'll refer to only one Submariner, why should they sell you that watch and nothing else when the next guy will spend $10,000 on other merchandise and buy the Submariner? Now, multiply that buy six stainless Submariners and much more for each GMT.

That's how ADs look at it and why others here posted you're not supporting the AD. Stainless Rolex sell themselves, they don't need you to sell them, that's unfortunately the reality right now and how everyone looks at it. Also, keep in mind the sales person you deal with doesn't make any decisions who gets each stainless Rolex. That sales person needs to get approval to sell you any of those stainless Rolex watches, that manager will simply see you haven't bought other merchandise, and say no, that's all there is too it. one or more of those watches are in the back safe. You simply cannot have one.

Another thing, asking for six Submariners is something a backpack reseller would do. your intentions may be sincere but all they see is someone who would likely walk out the door and sell them right away.
I don't live in Vail, Aspen, LA, NY or anywhere that has a huge luxury goods market- as far as I know. My nicest vehicle is a F250 platinum. I'll see if I can borrow a friends supercar and stir them up some.
I don't think Rolex AD's sell watches at cost. My assumption is they make money off anything they sell. Either way, I'm not buying anything to make myself more important. Which could very well mean I never get the call.
I mentioned in another post, I noticed another employee listening to our conversation. He may have decided "I'm not worthy"
At least I got invited to the special watch event!

Fair enough but I'm not a reseller. A couple of forums is the closest I come to social media.
Old 1 February 2024, 08:58 AM   #72
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Thanks, the process and most of the people here have caused my interest to somewhat diminish.

Yes, a nice lady from Rolex contacted me.
They are going to send me 6 subs, 2 gmt's and 3 random ladies watches for free!
Fantastic!! What's for dinner!
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 03:08 AM   #73
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
6 subs will be very hard. I wouldn’t bank on getting those in any short amount of time… remember they have fixed allocations and could get 6 subs over the course of 2 months perhaps. All of those to 1 client leaves 5 others with their own purchase histories in the dust.

I would mix it between subs, Djs and explorers for the family. That sort of track record would be likely doable in a shorter timeframe and bode well for your Batman or Pepsi purchase.

Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:21 AM   #74
dukie748
"TRF" Member

You might have a chance on those six Subs if your name is Keanu Reeves... but for mere mortals it will be a tough gig, as others have stated, pretty sure most AD's would rather serve six different customers.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:21 AM   #75
messikens
"TRF" Member

I do like some Daytona's for my "nieces" as well and offered to kindly take 7; since I am also Mormon I suggested another 4 Celebration Dials for each one of my wives :-)

Told the AD I should get a discount as well since I am buying 11 of the hottest models in one swoop...

Then I woke up and am still waiting for a lonely 126610LV for the last two years...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:39 AM   #76
macluven
"TRF" Member

I'm a new member and this is my first post, but just wanted to share in response to a reply in here.

Back in 2014 while on vacation, I walked into a Rolex AD and bought a white dial stainless steel Daytona (no buying history). It was an unbelievable experience! My wife was able to get me a Sub Date last year at a local AD that I have buying history with for our 10yr wedding anniversary. She had to wait about 3months though. Just a few weeks ago, I walked into the same AD and was lucky enough to walk out with a Batgirl. It is possible if the planets align and you're in the right place at the right time.

To the OP, I think this AD might be able to get you a Sub and the other watches for your nieces, but 6 specific Subs might be a stretch. However, I do wish you luck and hope that it all works out for you!
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:44 PM   #77
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
Fantastic!! What's for dinner!
I'll let this one go. Don't want to go to banned camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex.Journey View Post
6 subs will be very hard. I wouldn’t bank on getting those in any short amount of time… remember they have fixed allocations and could get 6 subs over the course of 2 months perhaps. All of those to 1 client leaves 5 others with their own purchase histories in the dust.

I would mix it between subs, Djs and explorers for the family. That sort of track record would be likely doable in a shorter timeframe and bode well for your Batman or Pepsi purchase.

Nobody seems to read the fact that I'm not buying anything I don't want. If I give them a watch they will all be the same reference #. With the only exception possibly mixing in some date model subs.

Understanding if they sell me any number of watches that same number of customers won't get one is basic logic. The truth is, my experience is the only one that concerns me. They run their business as they see fit. Nothing I can do about that. What I can do is live well w/o a GMT of any variation and my nephews are going live well with or w/o me giving them a watch.
I'm thankful for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
You might have a chance on those six Subs if your name is Keanu Reeves... but for mere mortals it will be a tough gig, as others have stated, pretty sure most AD's would rather serve six different customers.
Well, I'm probably a better actor. I struggled to watch him in point break recently. See above regarding serving 6 customers. They only have 1 potential customer I care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I do like some Daytona's for my "nieces" as well and offered to kindly take 7; since I am also Mormon I suggested another 4 Celebration Dials for each one of my wives :-)

Told the AD I should get a discount as well since I am buying 11 of the hottest models in one swoop...

Then I woke up and am still waiting for a lonely 126610LV for the last two years...
Clearly you need to "support the dealer" better.
Be real nice and buy a bunch of junk you don't want and maybe you'll get the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluven View Post
I'm a new member and this is my first post, but just wanted to share in response to a reply in here.

Back in 2014 while on vacation, I walked into a Rolex AD and bought a white dial stainless steel Daytona (no buying history). It was an unbelievable experience! My wife was able to get me a Sub Date last year at a local AD that I have buying history with for our 10yr wedding anniversary. She had to wait about 3months though. Just a few weeks ago, I walked into the same AD and was lucky enough to walk out with a Batgirl. It is possible if the planets align and you're in the right place at the right time.

To the OP, I think this AD might be able to get you a Sub and the other watches for your nieces, but 6 specific Subs might be a stretch. However, I do wish you luck and hope that it all works out for you!
Congrats, I'm surprised the petty posters around here haven't come after you with pitchforks yet.
Thanks for wishing me luck.

It's really amazed me how bitter many of the posters here are.
I have been in sales for decades. Of course, not Rolex sales.
Was never offended when people wanted 5-10x more product that most. Always tried to make it happen.
There's zero margin dollars or commission in a no sale.
Old 2 February 2024, 02:06 PM   #78
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well, I'm probably a better actor. I struggled to watch him in point break recently. See above regarding serving 6 customers. They only have 1 potential customer I care about.
I would suggest that if you were the better actor, you'd probably have the watches you wanted by now. Good luck.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 02:27 PM   #79
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

You seem to have your feet on the ground with this one.

At first, I thought, "Yah buddy. Keep dreamin'."

But I think you have the right outlook.

Pepsi might be a longshot.

But if you go in often, are a likable guy (not just friendly, truly likable), and perhaps bring a nephew or two in, things may go your way.

Imagine this: They deliver a Sub and you bring the first nephew in to have it sized and presented. They'll know by the true joy that it's real and you are not a flipper. Of course, which nephew? haha

The Subs are attainable at slightly over MSRP. The others
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 02:37 PM   #80
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radbloke View Post
I would suggest that if you were the better actor, you'd probably have the watches you wanted by now. Good luck.
You're probably right.
I'm not an actor which is likely obvious from this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
You seem to have your feet on the ground with this one.

At first, I thought, "Yah buddy. Keep dreamin'."

But I think you have the right outlook.

Pepsi might be a longshot.

But if you go in often, are a likable guy (not just friendly, truly likable), and perhaps bring a nephew or two in, things may go your way.

Imagine this: They deliver a Sub and you bring the first nephew in to have it sized and presented. They'll know by the true joy that it's real and you are not a flipper. Of course, which nephew? haha

The Subs are attainable at slightly over MSRP. The others
I don't know if I'm likable enough. I'll try!
The only way I can figure is one at a time starting with the oldest.
Unfortunately, the youngest wants one the most.
The second nephew showing significant interest the 4th oldest.
Getting 6 together, even over time, to present at once may be a daunting task.

Thanks
Old 3 February 2024, 02:07 AM   #81
macluven
"TRF" Member

Congrats, I'm surprised the petty posters around here haven't come after you with pitchforks yet.
Thanks for wishing me luck.

It's really amazed me how bitter many of the posters here are.
I have been in sales for decades. Of course, not Rolex sales.
Was never offended when people wanted 5-10x more product that most. Always tried to make it happen.
There's zero margin dollars or commission in a no sale.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I did get some negative comments in a Facebook Group where I posted about my new Batgirl acquisition. A guy called me a "tool" for posting about how I approached the SA. Basically told me I made up a story to get what I wanted (I was recently promoted in November and wanted something to celebrate the promotion, which he didn't know was true). In reality, if the AD didn't have the watch available, they wouldn't have sold it to me regardless of my story. I was just in the right place at the right time.

I agree with you that there are quite a number of bitter people that just can't be happy for others.
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 11:20 AM   #82
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluven View Post

Thank you! I did get some negative comments in a Facebook Group where I posted about my new Batgirl acquisition. A guy called me a "tool" for posting about how I approached the SA. Basically told me I made up a story to get what I wanted (I was recently promoted in November and wanted something to celebrate the promotion, which he didn't know was true). In reality, if the AD didn't have the watch available, they wouldn't have sold it to me regardless of my story. I was just in the right place at the right time.

I agree with you that there are quite a number of bitter people that just can't be happy for others.
Congrats on the promotion and new watch!
Enjoy.

My sister is going on a 2 week international trip stopping in several airports and a few big cities.
I have forwarded her pics and reference #'s for the pepsi and batman. She is going to pick up either or both if she comes across them.
Not counting on it but hoping she comes across one.
Old 3 February 2024, 04:26 PM   #83
David Daniel
"TRF" Member

DVR4, I am also related to you! We're second cousins once removed, I think.
David Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:29 AM   #84
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Daniel View Post
DVR4, I am also related to you! We're second cousins once removed, I think.
Well, looks like it will be awhile before you get your watch!