The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2024, 09:09 AM   #1
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Grail- A moving target

Is this the case for others?

Over the 20 years I’ve been into timepieces. It seems as if my grail has been a moving target.

Before I had the financial means to buy a Rolex, my grail was the Polar Exp 2, then it became the white Skydweller. Once I acquired those and a few other Rolexes, my grail became an AP Royal Oak and a DD 40. I picked up the Royal Oak last year and I’m picking up the DD40 in the next few days. Curious where my target will focus next. Does this hold true for anybody else?

What were your grail progressions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2024, 09:14 AM   #2
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

The search never ends. I remember telling myself that if I could just get a Submariner I'd be happy and would stop collecting...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #3
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Grails always get more expensive unless funds are not able/other things become more important, you lose interest in watches, or you die.

I think that’s the nature of it being a grail, always “currently unattainable”.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:22 AM   #4
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Unless you're the rare "one and done" type it DOES shift, especially if your means change.

When I was young the YG 36MM DD was THE watch. It was all over TV, and practically any man who was successful wore one, even in my modest home town (which had a long time AD right on main street then). Then I had a Seiko killed by water intrusion and I became fixated on a Sub Date because I might actually be able to afford one.

As the internet happened and I learned a lot more about Rolex and wanted a Daytona and a Sea-Dweller. I've got both of those now, and the means to have a PM watch. That's where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm pretty set on a DD40 I think, but I'm not overly impressed with the current dial selections. Hoping some changes come about from Watches and Wonders. I also like the new YG GMT on Jubilee quite a bit, both in full 18K and TT.

I'm going to try really, really hard to just do one more and make it count.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:32 AM   #5
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Yes started with a 5 digit date just, then a 37mm yacht master, then a bunch of day dates, AP, and now I’m going after Patek
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:34 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:39 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Certainly has evolved over the years.

That said the exp II is grail worthy and has outlasted many watches that I thought at the time to be more special. It is significantly my least expensive watch as I got it some years ago as a watch only, no box no papers and no bracelet.

What I have found in my search is I have circled back for a revisit with a couple of watches I previously owned. I also have gained better understanding of what is important to me and am no longer wowed by the latest and greatest and or complications.

5 digit No date sub and 5 digit exp II ( both w lugholes ) will certainly remain in my collection, I cannot say that for any other watch I have owned or currently own.

Most recent 5522 may just be the grail I was looking for. Simple time only, high legibility, under the radar.
Old 4 February 2024, 09:41 AM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I just bought everything I liked really really quickly and got bored problem solved
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:47 AM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Does this hold true for anybody else?
My grail was the 216570 Polar. It was supposed to be the finishing piece to crown my collection. It took me some time to get there but it was a battle of heart over head rather than a struggle to get it. I was so impressed with the quality that it turned into a start point rather than the finish point. The 116610LV became my grail. I have desired other watches (some Rolex) since then but I've never been so obsessed with them. If I have a grail now it's the 126719BLRO, but I hesitate to call it a grail because it is obtainable and I have the means to get it. It's just a question of either waiting for my AD to get me one or running out of patience and buying a seller.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:44 AM   #10
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I went through the series of grail watches, sub, BLRO, then got the grail I didn’t think I’d get but was still at least feasible — an aquanaut. Still my so-called “grail” but I’ve gotten a watch since I really wanted which wasn’t grail status. And there are other very nice watches I want, but they’re not at that status.

Right now there’s no grail/end game for me — since I don’t like to think about watches that I’d never ever have a chance of obtaining from a price perspective.
Bmats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:52 AM   #11
REQUIEMnJADED4U
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C Date, Pepsi
I absolutely love and enjoy the heck out of every watch I've been able to get. However, soon after the honeymoon phase, the chase for the next "grail" begins. Currently I have my eyes on a Daytona Ghost on OF even though I'm probably getting a Santos de Cartier XL first.
REQUIEMnJADED4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:57 AM   #12
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
One watch always leads to another even when I buy the one I’m sure is the last I’ll ever want. A new watch changes the hierarchy in the watch box which creates new priorities and desires. Watches come and go, slots open up and the itch starts all over again. It will never end. I hope.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 12:26 PM   #13
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Is this the case for others?

Over the 20 years I’ve been into timepieces. It seems as if my grail has been a moving target.

Before I had the financial means to buy a Rolex, my grail was the Polar Exp 2, then it became the white Skydweller. Once I acquired those and a few other Rolexes, my grail became an AP Royal Oak and a DD 40. I picked up the Royal Oak last year and I’m picking up the DD40 in the next few days. Curious where my target will focus next. Does this hold true for anybody else?

What were your grail progressions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on, isn't that the same with just about everything in life? First you buy a 3 bedroom house, then you want a 5 bedroom mansion. First you buy a German sports car, then you want an Italian. First you marry a good looking wife, then you want a trophy wife and a model GF. It holds true for everything.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:37 PM   #14
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Difference between men and boys is the price of their toys
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:47 PM   #15
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Eventually it does end. I had a similar journey but the grail was always the Platona. I got it a year and a half ago and it’s my fave of all time and there’s nothing id want more than it. It’s made collecting a little less fun too
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:52 PM   #16
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
The search never ends. I remember telling myself that if I could just get a Submariner I'd be happy and would stop collecting...
Like Lays potato chips. Their adds used to say "Bet you can't eat just one".

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:54 PM   #17
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
Unless you're the rare "one and done" type it DOES shift, especially if your means change.

When I was young the YG 36MM DD was THE watch. It was all over TV, and practically any man who was successful wore one, even in my modest home town (which had a long time AD right on main street then). Then I had a Seiko killed by water intrusion and I became fixated on a Sub Date because I might actually be able to afford one.

As the internet happened and I learned a lot more about Rolex and wanted a Daytona and a Sea-Dweller. I've got both of those now, and the means to have a PM watch. That's where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm pretty set on a DD40 I think, but I'm not overly impressed with the current dial selections. Hoping some changes come about from Watches and Wonders. I also like the new YG GMT on Jubilee quite a bit, both in full 18K and TT.

I'm going to try really, really hard to just do one more and make it count.
DD are fantastic.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:11 PM   #18
RoshDawg
"TRF" Member

Mine has been constant since I got into watches. GMT meteorite. BUT.. I’m not at the PP level yet and thus try not to look at them as I enjoy my satisfaction and chase with Rolexes.
RoshDawg is offline   Reply With Quote