The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2024, 08:19 AM   #1
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Rolex AD order from distribution center?

I have a question for someone who has the inside track or worked at an AD: I know my AD gets random watch shipments every 1 or 2 weeks and they don't know what is inside until a couple days beforehand, but on special circumstances (VIP clients) or once a month/year (ex. Christmas) can the AD request a watch from Rolex?

Some folks on this forum wrote they are able to order Datejusts through their AD, and my AD said they can't. Has anyone tried asking for a PM watch or a sports model, and the AD "ordered" and received it in a relatively short time? If so, how long did it take?

Last edited by dlddrrr; 10 February 2024 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: grammar
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:08 AM   #2
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

I've asked my store's buyer before, but most of it goes over my head. I'll post as I understand it. Hopefully someone else can clarify or confirm.

We don't so much order specific product; it's more like ordering a number of pieces, requesting certain models and configurations. Some pieces are more readily available, so in practicality it's "ordering." We are, I believe, required to have a certain percentage of various sizes, models, gem-set, etc., so we can't just order 100% steel professional models, for instance. Sometimes Rolex will just send pieces that are close to what we requested, but different enough the intended customer isn't interested. Sometimes they will send pieces that we don't think we even have the clientele for.

Our store is measured by many metrics, and the better we do on those metrics, the better our allocations.

I'll just say I'm glad it's not my job.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:23 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

Good question OP and glad we have Pepperjack here for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:29 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

I was told last weekend, that you can no longer order a specific Datejust, from Rolex, through your AD. Just a few months back, you could fill out an “intent to purchase form”, and either prepay, in full, or at some ADs, give a substantial deposit. To quote my SA, “Rolex has put the brakes on that practice, for now.” When they were allowing that, it was specific to the Datejust model. I hope this is helpful.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:43 AM   #5
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Ordered / requested a particular configuration Lady DJ through our AD, albeit not one commonly seen in store (278344RBR) - arrived 6 weeks later - this was June last year.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:42 AM   #6
rich-96db
"TRF" Member

Ordered a specific DJ36 for my wife in early October. It arrived mid-January.
rich-96db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:58 AM   #7
lawyerdude
"TRF" Member

I was at AD the other day and asked about the OP for my wife and they said that OP is not something they can order, but could order a datejust for her. Which is weird since when i came to discuss a datejust for me, a month or two before, that wasn’t offered. So, not sure.
Old 12 February 2024, 08:20 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
I've asked my store's buyer before, but most of it goes over my head. I'll post as I understand it. Hopefully someone else can clarify or confirm.

We don't so much order specific product; it's more like ordering a number of pieces, requesting certain models and configurations. Some pieces are more readily available, so in practicality it's "ordering." We are, I believe, required to have a certain percentage of various sizes, models, gem-set, etc., so we can't just order 100% steel professional models, for instance. Sometimes Rolex will just send pieces that are close to what we requested, but different enough the intended customer isn't interested. Sometimes they will send pieces that we don't think we even have the clientele for.

Our store is measured by many metrics, and the better we do on those metrics, the better our allocations.

What do you do at the AD?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:01 AM   #9
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
What do you do at the AD?
My title is "watchmaker." I mostly do paperwork.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:04 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Pretty much what other ADs I have spoken with say too.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:05 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
My title is "watchmaker." I mostly do paperwork.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:49 PM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I got a green OP41 last summer less than a month after asking for it. At the time my SA said they could order a few certain models/configurations and this was one of them. I chatted with him last week a bit, he said they know how many of certain models they will get for the year but not all yet, notably the Celebration dial OP41 I want. And apparently the order process is on hold, at least for now.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 07:42 PM   #13
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Like in any system with a dealership distribution model, it goes like this:

Rolex produces x number of each model, and at some point in the year (or multiple), dealers send their pipeline of request. You have different production lines probably, with some flexible for “urgent” matters.

They then get allocated the models based on their talks with management, executive offices and sales reps (Rolex, not ADs).
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 11:32 PM   #14
peptide45
"TRF" Member

My SA has told me that they she is able to put in "requests" for allocation models and basically, you are put on a list for that model. She has told me the list is not linear and while they do factor is wait time, it is one of many factors... Most of the desirable stainless steel sports models are subject to this "request" process. The watch I'm trying to get for my wife (31 mm datejust fluted pink dial diamond set) was "special order." Apparently, this means that the order goes to Rolex and they will fill it eventually... How true any of this is, I don't know... We placed our "request" for YM40 and "special order" for date just 31 mm on Feb 28 2023... So coming up on a year and nothing yet.
peptide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 11:58 PM   #15
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Last time I bought a new watch, which was in 2014, in Geneva and a Lady DJ for my wife, I could specify everything and it was delivered within a few weeks. Well I also had a 20% discount (sort of Friends and Family I think) and had to sign a document that it was for our personal use.
Old 13 February 2024, 03:01 AM   #16
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Like in any system with a dealership distribution model, it goes like this:

Rolex produces x number of each model, and at some point in the year (or multiple), dealers send their pipeline of request. You have different production lines probably, with some flexible for “urgent” matters.

They then get allocated the models based on their talks with management, executive offices and sales reps (Rolex, not ADs).
Rolex ADs (with, I believe, the exception of the Rolex Boutique in Geneva) do not have a direct line of communication with Rolex SA, the manufacturer (Caveat - it may be different in Switzerland)

Rolex SA supplies a number of wholly owned corporate distribution entities in the various global regions. Its those distribution entities that contract with the AD network.

Dealer pipeline requests (such as they are) will be sent to the distribution entity for that country/region, not Rolex SA.

How much, if any, of that is passed on up the line to Rolex SA the AD network won't know.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 06:16 AM   #17
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I got a green OP41 last summer less than a month after asking for it. At the time my SA said they could order a few certain models/configurations and this was one of them. I chatted with him last week a bit, he said they know how many of certain models they will get for the year but not all yet, notably the Celebration dial OP41 I want. And apparently the order process is on hold, at least for now.

That coincides with what my SA said, during my last visit. The ability to order a specific congregation, of any model, is on hold, at least in the US.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote