The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Panerai
"Beware" Tourist dies after failed mugging for Rolex in Naples

A Puerto Rican tourist who had just disembarked from his cruise ship in Naples is fighting for his life following brain surgery after being attacked by muggers, the Associated Press reports.

Oscar Antonio Mendoza was walking from the port in Naples when two muggers on a motor scooter tried to take his Rolex, Police Major Paolo Zito told the Associated Press.

When Mendoza refused to give up the watch, the robbers pushed him to the ground and fled. Upon falling, Mendoza hit his head.

He underwent brain surgery at Naples' Loreto Mare hospital where his doctor, Maria Corvino, said the prognosis is guarded.

Napoli officials warn visitors not to wear expensive jewelry when wandering the streets.

In 2009, the Italian city instituted the Escodentro Project, where ex-cons assist tourists with directions and guide them around town to ensure they aren't harmed. (The above photo is of a drug offender providing directions to tourists in Naples in September 2009).

UPDATE 5/27: The 66-year old Mendoza has died of his injuries following the attack, the AP reported today.

His doctor, Dr. Maurizo Postiglione, head of intensive care at the hospital, told the AP via phone that Mendoza failed to regain consciousness after falling. He suffered multiple brain contusions. The Puerto Rican tourist was with his wife when the attack occurred.

Sorry if this is a repeat post.

"You can never buy back Time, so spend it wisely."
Old 28 May 2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Heard this elsewhere, but doesn't make it any less sickening.

Hope they catch the scum

RIP Mr Mendoza
Old 28 May 2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Naples puts you in harms way with their Ex-con program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Heard this elsewhere, but doesn't make it any less sickening.

Hope they catch the scum

RIP Mr Mendoza
I am really mad over the fact that Mr. Mendoza probably didn't know that he would be assisted by Ex-cons when he got off of the ship. It brings home the fact that it could be anyone of us that loves to wear our Rolex watches everywhere we go. Now this really will make me think twice when I see a thread on this forum that ask the question ( IS IT SAFE TO WEAR YOUR ROLEX HERE AND THERE?)

Old 28 May 2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
If you are not able and willing to calmly hand over your watch to a mugger then you are WEARING A WATCH YOU CAN NOT AFFORD. The watch clearly means too much too you...beyond what a watch you can afford should mean to you in a life threatening situation.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:01 AM   #5
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
If you are not able and willing to calmly hand over your watch to a mugger then you are WEARING A WATCH YOU CAN NOT AFFORD. The watch clearly means too much too you...beyond what a watch you can afford should mean to you in a life threatening situation.

I beg to differ.
I'll be calling to police and telling them the coroner should show up too.

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
Old 28 May 2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Collector View Post
I am really mad over the fact that Mr. Mendoza probably didn't know that he would be assisted by Ex-cons when he got off of the ship. It brings home the fact that it could be anyone of us that loves to wear our Rolex watches everywhere we go. Now this really will make me think twice when I see a thread on this forum that ask the question ( IS IT SAFE TO WEAR YOUR ROLEX HERE AND THERE?)
This was posted in the Open Disc section....but at any rate, this is horrible. Having said that, the "Is it safe to wear your Rolex ______ threads are akin to the "What is an average AD discount" thread. Fairly meaningless as the answers will vary wildly and will differ for each person and circumstance.

How can you say it is safe or not safe to wear your Rolex in country X or city Y? Too many variables.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKtoter View Post
I beg to differ.
I'll be calling to police and telling them the coroner should show up too.
At some point society has to push back...
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Old 28 May 2011, 09:13 AM   #8
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you on this. You're right in all senses where the person should give up their watch without any issues to save their own lives but that is your opinion.

Maybe, Mr. Mendoza had a special relationship/history/whatever with this watch. I've heard a lot of people saying that comment but it is really biased. Some people will refuse to be a victim. If I was at my own home, and someone wanted to rob me for my watch, I would reach for my G26 and seal the deal on that meow.

If I was in Mr. Mendoza's situation, I would've handed it over without a problem since I was travelling in an area I'm not comfortable with.

In the end, it has nothing to do with being able to afford a watch.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:16 AM   #9
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have been all over that city w/o trouble. This can happen anywhere.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:18 AM   #10
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omga,CyS,brtln
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
I would disagree with you on this. Maybe someone just will not themselves to be robbed. You're right in all senses where the person should give up their watch without any issues to save their own lives.

Maybe, Mr. Mendoza had a special relationship/history/whatever with this watch. I've heard a lot of people saying that comment but some people will refuse to be the victim.

Personally, I would've handed it over without a problem. For others, they might feel differently. In the end, it was nothing to do with being able to afford a watch.
I also disagree, I would never hand over my watch
Old 28 May 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf566 View Post
I also disagree, I would never hand over my watch
Unlikely, and unwise.
Mr Mendoza felt the same way.

十人十色
Old 28 May 2011, 09:26 AM   #12
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
I would have to disagree with you on this. You're right in all senses where the person should give up their watch without any issues to save their own lives but that is your opinion.

Maybe, Mr. Mendoza had a special relationship/history/whatever with this watch. I've heard a lot of people saying that comment but it is really biased. Some people will refuse to be a victim. If I was at my own home, and someone wanted to rob me for my watch, I would reach for my G26 and seal the deal on that meow.

If I was in Mr. Mendoza's situation, I would've handed it over without a problem since I was travelling in an area I'm not comfortable with.

In the end, it has nothing to do with being able to afford a watch.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:28 AM   #13
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In a world where the number of have nots are increasing, is it really safe to flaunt anything? I am sometimes a little fearful in some areas around my office. The neighborhood has it's share of bums/beggars and wanna be con men.

Lee
Old 28 May 2011, 09:37 AM   #14
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Unlikely, and unwise.
Mr Mendoza felt the same way.
Mr. Mendoza did what was right and just, he paid for it with his life...but so have so many other great men.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
Mr. Mendoza did what was right and just, he paid for it with his life...but so have so many other great men.
I'll stick around to do more great things. You can tell the 2 dudes who have the drop on you in a Rome alley to go F off though.
I'll spend the rest of the trip searching for an adequate replacement. Do they sell anything but Panerai in Italy?

十人十色
Old 28 May 2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll stick around to do more great things. You can tell the 2 dudes who have the drop on you in a Rome alley to go F off though.
I'll spend the rest of the trip searching for an adequate replacement. Do they sell anything but Panerai in Italy?
Yup, the majority do live off the sacrifices of the minority - it's just simple history.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:15 AM   #17
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup, the majority do live off the sacrifices of the minority - it's just simple history.
Like my history of 12 years of US military service? During wartime?
Not so simple anymore. Question someone else's courage mate.

十人十色
Old 28 May 2011, 10:17 AM   #18
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like my history of 12 years of US military service? During wartime?
Not so simple anymore. Question someone else's courage mate.
Very simple...I don't question your courage, just your words in this thread.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
So, a watch is worth a human life to all of you? Even a pathetic creature like a mugger?

I would certainly fight back and probably prevail should my health and/or life be truly threatened. If the watch makes them go away....that's why I have insurance and even if not, I have more than enough wealth to always buy more watches... LOTS more. The point is that I do not want to not enjoy my wealth because I would not let go of $5 K to $14K worth of Rolex and was killed.

BTW... I don't want the Karma of killing someone over any personal property. I am exceptionally well trained in lethal force confrontations and usually well armed when out and about. I have CCW permits what permit me Concealed Carry 46 states. IMHO all you "armchair vigilantes" clearly are thinking with the small head not the big one... Going to a gun store, buying a gun and going to a square range and shooting paper has so little to do with correct combative mindset and ability to effectively use your weapon and take a human life, particularly a life that has experience in the application of violence and the "jump" on you... GROW UP all you gun owning little boys. Best also not forget that many times, as in traveling abroad, you will not have a gun or even a knife (how many of you actually KNOW how to defend and respond to a knife?)
Old 28 May 2011, 10:23 AM   #20
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At some point society has to push back...
X2 - oh wait, that was me wasn't it?
Old 28 May 2011, 10:28 AM   #21
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

I have traveled to different places good and bad and have thought about this... If I was unfortunate to be in that situation I would handover my watch and even wind it for the bastard if that keeps me alive.. Nothing is worth the trouble specially when you have family... Sad to hear bad news like this but it happens even in the best places.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Very simple...I don't question your courage, just your words in this thread.
I risked my life and future for this:

I'll not risk it for this:

YMMV.
Would I risk my life to stop a beating and/or robbery? Perhaps, but that's quite different.

十人十色
Old 28 May 2011, 10:38 AM   #23
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Do you mean freedom? Freedom to travel? Freedom to walk about unmolested? Things like that?

Thanks for your service.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

No, I served for my country. Not the Naples police force.
Slightly higher aspirations IMHO.

十人十色
Old 28 May 2011, 10:48 AM   #25
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I'm sorry to hear about this. IMO, a watch is not worth fighting one or more muggers over - that's what insurance is for.
Old 28 May 2011, 11:36 AM   #26
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
I hope people aren't seriously suggesting that material goods should ever take priority in a danger situation where one's life could be at risk.
Old 28 May 2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

I am totally sorry if by posting this thread it led to who will do what and when. The point I was trying to make was it could have been anyone of us traveling abroad and not knowing what new policies a foriegn city has put in place like (Ex-cons assisting 66 year old Tourists). I am pretty sure Mr. Mendoza didn't value his watch over his life, the report said that he refused and was then pushed, it was a split second decision on his part. Now if the report said that he was receiving a beating and then refused, I would say that he valued his watch. For those of us who have and will take cruises, this serves as a reminder to always be aware of your surroundings nomatter how nice it is or how frequently you have been there, "Things Change".

Old 28 May 2011, 12:00 PM   #28
Abid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
I am totally sorry if by posting this thread it led to who will do what and when. The point I was trying to make was it could have been anyone of us traveling abroad and not knowing what new policies a foriegn city has put in place like (Ex-cons assisting 66 year old Tourists). I am pretty sure Mr. Mendoza didn't value his watch over his life, the report said that he refused and was then pushed, it was a split second decision on his part. Now if the report said that he was receiving a beating and then refused, I would say that he valued his watch. For those of us who have and will take cruises, this serves as a reminder to always be aware of your surroundings nomatter how nice it is or how frequently you have been there, "Things Change".
Agreed! It could happen to any of us. In a flash of second! We weren't there so we don't know exactly how it went down. I'm sure anyone would put up a resistance if some unknown stranger was trying to grab at your wrist. I feel bad for the poor chap, hopefully he will poor through.
Old 28 May 2011, 12:21 PM   #29
evanvito
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
So sad that this had to happen
Old 28 May 2011, 12:41 PM   #30
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Wow I am going on a cruise to Bermuda on Sunday, and I do plan to wear my Rolex there. The thing is that the way I was raised I dont trust anyone, if anyone comes up to me and asks if I want a tour of the island I would be questioning the situation already. Its a shame about Mr. Mendoza, it pisses me off when these shmucks attack an elderly person. I feel bad for his wife who has probably been with him for a long time and now has to adjust to a new way of life in her late 60's. My partners grandfather had a YG Day Date, which was stolen rom him in the early 80's outside a supermarket in South Florida. The thugs pushed him to the ground and took the watch right off his wrist. It might have been a good thing I read this thread before my cruise, its reminds me to be extra careful in an unfamilair place. RIP Mr. Mendoza.
Closed Thread