The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2020, 06:32 AM   #1
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
GMT Trade opinions

Hello all,

I have been presented with the option of trading my GMT 116710LN (all black ceramic, random serial) for an early Y serial 16710 coke bezel (drilled holes and NO solid end links) in excellent condition.

My other pieces include a DaytonaC Black, CK2998, and IWC portoguise

Opinions are needed please:

-Is this is a fair deal?
-Pros and cons of this trade given the entire collection
-Anyone have both the 5 digit and 6 digit GMT and can tell me what their experience has been?

I have had the LN for about 5 years now, and its a tank and very versatile in casual and business setting, but with the DaytonaC I find my collection too monochrome.

Thanks for reading!
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 07:06 AM   #2
khalifam
"TRF" Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat. After owning both I much prefer the 16710 it is so versatile, you could have it on a black insert aswell as a Pepsi insert... You could even change the bracelet from oyster to jubilee and vice versa.

Plus the 16710 is becoming neo vintage... Yes, it probably won't feel as solid as your 116710 but they are solid

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

GMT Trade opinions

I have both, and prefer the brushed oyster bracelet on the 16710 over PCL’s on the 116710. I also love having many bezel and bracelet options to choose from on the 16710. They feel completely different on the wrist. Is there any chance you can try the watch on prior to making the deal? You’ll know pretty quickly which you prefer.

Also, the aluminum inserts will fade over time, whereas the ceramic will look the same in 50 years from now.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 23 April 2020, 08:17 AM   #4
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

That's an interesting one. Assume both are full sets and assume the Y is all original and not polished. Polish would be a factor value wise vs all original unpolished on the Y. I'm surprised the Y does not have SELs - I thought by then (after Ps) all were SELs.

I have the exact ceramic model you have (gave my 5 digit F Pepsi to my son) and love the black ceramic. I wear it on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber strap which is inexpensive, ridiculously soft and comfortable and really tones down the watch (no PCLs which I'm not a fan of). It gives it a more "goes with anything look", do anything capability without fear of trashing the bracelet . The additional case bulk of the 6 digit is not a factor IMO. I have owned several 5 digit GMTs and the clasp is subjectively "better" on the 6 series, but I wear them on rubber tang buckle straps so wearability is the same for me. The 5 digit is more versatile color-wise and has a cult following of its own which is only growing. Value-wise about even these days, based on conditions. I think this is pretty close to a true tossup - it's all about the look you want and if you enjoy the color versatility. Good luck with your decision.
Old 23 April 2020, 08:31 AM   #5
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
The early Y's still had the SEL's. I remember early A's had hollow and the late A's had SEL. The early Y's had lug holes, the late Y's did not. P serial's all had SEL and lug holes as well as the K's.

I own both and do prefer the 5 digit over the 6. As a daily wearer and beater, I do wear the 6 more often than the 5. You can't go wrong with that trade as the 5's are becoming more desirable.

If this was me making the decision, I would take the 5 digit in a heart beat. But i'd get more details, as in is it unpolished, all original, bracelet and clasp are all period correct, full kit, service history, etc.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:30 AM   #6
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Hmmm. I wear my 6 digits now more than the 5’s.

The 5’s have had a lot of wear in the past, but since service I’ve kept them pristine and with a few they’ve become safe queens altogether.

My daily is the LN ceramic all be it it’s on a sub bracelet. I wouldn’t trade it, sell it or give it away for anything. It’s the perfect watch for me.

The 6 digits also handle daily life a lot better than the 5’s. They’re just more robust in every way.

I would keep what you have and buy a 5 digit as an additional piece.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:52 AM   #7
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Make the trade.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:31 AM   #8
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post
Hello all,

I have been presented with the option of trading my GMT 116710LN (all black ceramic, random serial) for an early Y serial 16710 coke bezel (drilled holes and NO solid end links) in excellent condition.

My other pieces include a DaytonaC Black, CK2998, and IWC portoguise

Opinions are needed please:

-Is this is a fair deal?
-Pros and cons of this trade given the entire collection
-Anyone have both the 5 digit and 6 digit GMT and can tell me what their experience has been?

I have had the LN for about 5 years now, and its a tank and very versatile in casual and business setting, but with the DaytonaC I find my collection too monochrome.

Thanks for reading!
If I were in your shoes, I would do it as long as the 16710 is in good shape and is all original. You have some modern pieces, why not get something kind of vintage.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:04 AM   #9
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Thanks for all the help!
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:48 AM   #10
Asumer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN - BLK
Go for it!

Having the black daytona ceramic gives you that black dial/black bezel watch. I've owned a 16710 and they are the most comfortable watches to wear on a daily basis, plus its the same model/type that Hunter S Thompson had(coke gmt).
Asumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Agree with the others. I’d make the trade and add some color! And get some inserts and watch a video on how to change inserts. Buy genuine inserts from someone on TRF. They are not expensive.

Old 24 April 2020, 01:25 AM   #12
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Hmmm. I wear my 6 digits now more than the 5’s.

The 5’s have had a lot of wear in the past, but since service I’ve kept them pristine and with a few they’ve become safe queens altogether.

My daily is the LN ceramic all be it it’s on a sub bracelet. I wouldn’t trade it, sell it or give it away for anything. It’s the perfect watch for me.

The 6 digits also handle daily life a lot better than the 5’s. They’re just more robust in every way.

I would keep what you have and buy a 5 digit as an additional piece.
Interesting approach. I have a super jubilee on order for the LN through the AD, now I wonder if I should do the sub bracelet instead.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:49 AM   #13
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Agree with the others. I’d make the trade and add some color! And get some inserts and watch a video on how to change inserts. Buy genuine inserts from someone on TRF. They are not expensive.

ive considered them, but those inserts certainly seem pricey...
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #14
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Is it a full set? Was it polished? These are important factors. The prices of the 5 digit gmt's are dropping. The Ceramic gmt was trending about 1k more than the 5 digit gmt. I think the 5 digit watch is much more desirable, but I think you will be paying too much for it. 5 or 6 years ago the 5 digit gmt's were going for <4k. Just my .02
Old 24 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #15
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
ive considered them, but those inserts certainly seem pricey...
ViperB here can get them for 250 shipped each, which is fair market outside of Rolex. Considering that the ceramic bezels cost nearly $1000 each, it's a bargain.
Old 24 April 2020, 02:40 AM   #16
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
it’s hard to say without knowing Conditions and completeness for each watch? watches alone, i wouldn’t do it because of the coke bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:58 AM   #17
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I would not do the deal. Forgetting the financial aspect - it’s like trading a tank for a motorbike. Depends on what you need

Five digits always feel a bit delicate compared to the six digits IMO
Matt_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 03:23 AM   #18
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Having had a 16710 for several months now, I can say without equivocation that it is my favorite steel Rolex.

I put mine on a modern oyster bracelet, although I still need to brush the PCLs. That endeavor got put on hold thanks to Coronavirus.