The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2019, 10:32 AM   #1
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Grand Seiko LE models

Excited to see what Basel has in store for Grand Seiko this year. It seems they produce several “limited edition” models that seem to generally be available from most AD’s and you can for the most part get at or below MSRP. Until they are gone.....I feel like over the next several years these models have to appreciate as demand for GS seems to only be rising. Do you guys ever think GS will eventually be in the same boat as some of the Rolex stainless steel models? May take some time but I think they will eventually get there.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
No. I don’t. I love Grand Seiko. Seiko in general is my fav. But I just don’t see it happening where it gets to Rolex levels. Wish they would cool it a little on the limiteds honestly, just too many.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 12:22 PM   #3
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Yeah good point. I don’t mean trading like a Daytona or Pepsi more like slightly over retail and becoming harder to get. I’m probably drinking too much of the kool aid.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 12:42 PM   #4
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Adrian from Bark & Jack has recently been teasing that GS has some big things in store for Basel. Specifically that they may be embracing the growing trend of smaller case sizes.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:12 PM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Rolex has a head start in branding and marketing that may never be caught. In terms of watch quality, however, Grand Seiko has already surpassed them. The availability crisis, I sure hope GS doesn’t go that way....and I’d bet against it happening. The average Joe isn’t clamoring to buy a Grand Seiko, and there are probably enough to placate all WIS. Their standing depends entirely on WHY people buy watches.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:17 PM   #6
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Rolex has a head start in branding and marketing that may never be caught. In terms of watch quality, however, Grand Seiko has already surpassed them. The availability crisis, I sure hope GS doesn’t go that way....and I’d bet against it happening. The average Joe isn’t clamoring to buy a Grand Seiko, and there are probably enough to placate all WIS. Their standing depends entirely on WHY people buy watches.
^ exactly this ^

There is some hype around the Snowflake and 387, but for the most part, the people buying GS are doing so for the inherent qualities of the watch, not as "retainers of value".
GS could make the most brilliant watch, but there's just too many people who won't buy it because it's a "Seiko", hence there'll never be the same madness to acquire one. Which is a very good thing.
Old 6 March 2019, 09:28 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Grand Seiko is an amazing brand mixing quality product with some stunning design. I believe once discovered my many, it will not be easily forgotten. Grand Seiko watches which are LE or SE will do well in the after market and will be collectable in the future. If a watch is a standard GS it will take a normal depreciation and hold. I look forward to Basel and seeing if they introduce a model that appeals to me and can be added to my collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote