The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2024, 08:06 PM   #1
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Next watch purchase?

Currently have a Sub Date (116610LN) that I purchased from my AD in 2019 and at the time also put my name down for GMT II 126710BLRO which I've never received the call for, but do occassionally still visit the AD (wishful thinking).

Fast forward, I've grown impatient and have decided I'm going to go grey but after visiting a few dealers I've had my head turned by the Daytona white dial. If I go the Daytona route it would be the 116500LN as I can't justify paying £5,000 more for the newer reference. Now I'm not sure if I should go for the BLRO which I've always coveted or the Daytona.

I'm interested to hear what people would choose both in terms of aesthetics and use and also value?

I don't believe in buying watches for investment, but always good to know the majority of your money is safe in these pieces.
Gunnersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:16 PM   #2
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

The two most popular sports watches probably the Daytona white dial and BLRO.

For variety with the sub I’d get the Daytona. And the 116500 imo is nicer anyway.

You could long term sell the sub and get a BLRO. That would be an amazing two watch combo. Or keep the sub and add the BLRO. The colour and bracelet give enough variety.
Old 2 May 2024, 08:19 PM   #3
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
The two most popular sports watches probably the Daytona white dial and BLRO.

For variety with the sub I’d get the Daytona. And the 116500 imo is nicer anyway.

You could long term sell the sub and get a BLRO. That would be an amazing two watch combo. Or keep the sub and add the BLRO. The colour and bracelet give enough variety.
I definitely won't sell the Sub, it is my first Rolex and I used some inheritance money I received from my parents who died young so defintely has sentimental value.
Old 2 May 2024, 08:48 PM   #4
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
I definitely won't sell the Sub, it is my first Rolex and I used some inheritance money I received from my parents who died young so defintely has sentimental value.
Well in that case I would say do everything you can to never sell that watch. Sentimental value is obviously worth more. Sorry for your loss.

A Daytona and Sub imo give you the most variety. Different colour dials, functions etc. good luck.
Old 2 May 2024, 08:16 PM   #5
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
If you got either I don’t believe you’d be disappointed ..
Daytona fits differently to a GMT ..
I own a Sprite and Panda, the panda feels so good on ..
BLRO I was in for, but tried on and was very disappointed in the Bezel colours, they just looked dark and quite uninspiring ..
Daytona feels like a classy watch and looks good on with anything, dress up dress down …

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:25 PM   #6
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
BLRO looks good in photo, but on it felt very dull and lacklustre that’s just how I found it, Daytona on the other hand feels so special on ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:29 PM   #7
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
BLRO looks good in photo, but on it felt very dull and lacklustre that’s just how I found it, Daytona on the other hand feels so special on ..

When I tried it on the BLRO at a grey dealer I did really like, but i get wgar you mean about it being a little dull. I thought the colors would pop a little more which is why I think I've had my head turned by the Daytona!

If only I could afford both right now, but I'm sure I'll add which ever one I don't get down the line.
Old 2 May 2024, 10:48 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
When I tried it on the BLRO at a grey dealer I did really like, but i get wgar you mean about it being a little dull. I thought the colors would pop a little more which is why I think I've had my head turned by the Daytona!

If only I could afford both right now, but I'm sure I'll add which ever one I don't get down the line.

You have to get the watch out of the AD lighting and into natural light to appreciate its beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:47 PM   #9
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You have to get the watch out of the AD lighting and into natural light to appreciate its beauty

Looks stunning in those pictures 👌
Old 2 May 2024, 11:53 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks stunning in those pictures

The modern BLRO (at least mine) looks best in natural low light IMHO.

Luckily is spend a lot of time in the car and dimly lit restaurants

Old 3 May 2024, 01:16 AM   #11
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I really agree with this specifically to the BLNR. I think the watch looks so much better in natural light vs. jewelry light. I'm sure the BLRO would be similar.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:32 AM   #12
macluven
"TRF" Member

I have the SS Daytona with the white dial and a TT Daytona with a white dial, both earlier references, and the BLNR.

The Daytona was my grail watch, but I find myself not wearing either of them that much. Oddly enough, when I reach for a watch, it's always been for a Sub or the BLNR.

I do want the BLRO but the colors are always off for me. I have a darker skin tone so the BLNR suits me perfectly.

Between the Daytona or BLRO, I would choose the BLRO. The Daytona is a great watch, but I don't use the subdials at all nor the tach scale on the bezel. The GMT function of the BLRO is way more useful and it has a date function where the Daytona doesn't.
Philippians 4:11–13
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:45 AM   #13
rolexboy66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hi OP, the Pepsi u tried could be an older model Mk1 or MK2 where colours are more dull. If u get the MK3, the colours are more vibrant (darker blue and red) and def pops.

Owning both the 116 white and Pepsi, and probably been in a similar situation as you, I’d probably go for Pepsi first. It’s a darn beautiful watch and experience on the wrist besides being cheaper than panda. You can slowly upgrade, all the best!
rolexboy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:52 PM   #14
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Daytona. 116520. Under $18K is your best value.
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 09:11 PM   #15
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Have you had a chronograph before? I always wanted one and when I finally got a chronograph, realized it was not for me.
Old 2 May 2024, 09:14 PM   #16
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTmatt View Post
Have you had a chronograph before? I always wanted one and when I finally got a chronograph, realized it was not for me.
I had a Tag Forumla 1 chronograph years ago which was my first watch. I did use the chronograph, but kind of just moved beyond Tag’s
Old 2 May 2024, 10:00 PM   #17
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Funny you've gone off the watch with blue/Man City v red/Arsenal ... you've not given up on the League have you and gone all Spursy/White Daytona.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 10:27 PM   #18
nathanjones05
"TRF" Member

Have you tried both on? If you haven't I would suggest that as it will probably help make your mind up. Both awesome watches but you may instantly fall in love with one.
nathanjones05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:51 PM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think it's more a question of which one you're going to get first.

For me, I always choose the hardest task I'm facing, as opposed to leaving it to the end.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:52 PM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I wanted a 116500 white from the moment i first saw one. Finally got it and realized the pictures are a lie. So many lighting conditions that make the watch hard to read. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Get the BLRO. Plus you are looking at one watch that goes for 2x retail and the other for 3x. There is no "value" in this deal, only a watch you like and no more wait.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:59 PM   #21
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
get the pepsi in oyster, best in both worlds
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:23 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I like the Daytona more, but fortunately got mine at retail. I'm not sure if either are worth their secondary market prices, so can't give you advice. Only you can decide if either are worth the price you would have to pay to get one now vs. waiting on the AD.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:43 AM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned multiples of the Daytona-C and the BLRO. The value of the Daytona in the secondary market makes it a difficult buy for me. The SS Daytona is a flex watch and sits atop the pile for Rolex in that regard in my opinion. The BLRO on Jubilee is the one for me. Something about the colors, the bracelet and the fit that make it one of my favorites. The Daytona's are gone and the BLRO is still here. If you really want a cool white dial Chronograph get the new Omega Speedmaster with the white dial. Save 20K and have a watch that you can actually read. Just my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200312_093411 (002).jpg (247.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20240423_143501 (002).jpg (66.3 KB, 163 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:55 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned multiples of the Daytona-C and the BLRO. The value of the Daytona in the secondary market makes it a difficult buy for me. The SS Daytona is a flex watch and sits atop the pile for Rolex in that regard in my opinion. The BLRO on Jubilee is the one for me. Something about the colors, the bracelet and the fit that make it one of my favorites. The Daytona's are gone and the BLRO is still here. If you really want a cool white dial Chronograph get the new Omega Speedmaster with the white dial. Save 20K and have a watch that you can actually read. Just my thoughts.
Congratulations William
Old 3 May 2024, 12:46 AM   #25
Madman37
"TRF" Member

daytona black dial all the way. Went and tried on PEPSI in grey market stores did not get what the fuss was about as people said very dull
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:01 AM   #26
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I am not a Daytona fan--too cluttered, useless for my life, wears small and no date window. BLRO is my favorite model so easy choice.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote