The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2024, 10:04 AM   #1
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Sylvester Stallone on Why He's Selling His Patek

Check out the video. I really enjoyed it. He talks about Rolex, Cartier, and Panerai as well. Make sure you watch to the end to see the grand reveal.

https://youtu.be/Yi9H2vKukVo?si=8Xmr1oVPEM-Vbous
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 10:35 AM   #2
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Check out the video. I really enjoyed it. He talks about Rolex, Cartier, and Panerai as well. Make sure you watch to the end to see the grand reveal.

Thanks for sharing Omar!
Old 7 May 2024, 10:42 AM   #3
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post

I know all watch journeys come to an for people in different ways but I would assume Patek isn't super excited about this sale? I know he is much older now and may not have much history left with the brand ahead of him but if someone else did this with such a piece, would that destroy their reputation with the brand or ability to purchase unique pieces again?
rjohnston713 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:38 AM   #4
Eastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
I know all watch journeys come to an for people in different ways but I would assume Patek isn't super excited about this sale? I know he is much older now and may not have much history left with the brand ahead of him but if someone else did this with such a piece, would that destroy their reputation with the brand or ability to purchase unique pieces again?
Nah, I doubt it.

1. There's a strong possibility Sly either asked permission or at least gave advanced notice to PP. He clearly has a strong relationship with corporate, perhaps Stern himself, to be allocated a grandmaster chime

2. Even if he's doing this rogue, strong auction results only serve to enhance the brand aura and allure of PP. This collection I'm sure will fetch some big $$$

3. In general, the rule against selling allocations only really applies to civilians, not celebs. It's free marketing for PP when a celeb of Sly Stallone's stature goes on video talking about his love for Pateks. PP doesn't do brand ambassadors, so this is the next best thing
Eastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 12:33 PM   #5
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Cool and interesting video. Also was wondering how Patek feels about this, but agree with the perspective of Eastie.

I’m pretty curious why Stallone is selling such big pieces in his collection.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:09 PM   #6
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Cool and interesting video. Also was wondering how Patek feels about this, but agree with the perspective of Eastie.

I faintly remember a past video where he was talking up an RM and maybe others he was also moving along. I imagine it is hard to let highly select pieces like these go. He’s one of those rare public individuals who I actually enjoy seeing wear such a range of impressive pieces.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:54 PM   #7
unotaz
"TRF" Member

While he can continue to get regular Pateks, I guarantee you that he won't be able to get another application watch for many years.

It's one thing to sell application watches after a few years of ownership, it's another to sell a top watch like the grandmaster chime.

He could be low key about it and just sell it privately or through private auctions. But no, he decides to self-promote the sale on Youtube and other medial outlets in hoping to drive up the final sale price. This does not go down well with Pateks I can reassure you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 08:05 PM   #8
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
While he can continue to get regular Pateks, I guarantee you that he won't be able to get another application watch for many years.

It's one thing to sell application watches after a few years of ownership, it's another to sell a top watch like the grandmaster chime.

He could be low key about it and just sell it privately or through private auctions. But no, he decides to self-promote the sale on Youtube and other medial outlets in hoping to drive up the final sale price. This does not go down well with Pateks I can reassure you
That’s speculation and NOT a fact!
He says exactly why he’s selling “part of his massive collection” in the video (Hint, it has to do with Flip Wilson). He is a Billionaire and he’s almost 80 and his collection is the worlds best - so parsing off a dozen pieces isnt going to really diminish his overall watch collection….
In addition, I really doubt that Mr. Stern and his family are going to punish Mr. Stallone for selling a one of one piece that he paid millions for years ago - he has been a direct client (not a lowly customer like me) of Patek Philippe since 1982. I repeat, a DIRECT CLIENT. He doesn’t go to Tiffany’s and get his Patek Philippe watches like me after waiting a few months or years - They offer him their best, newest, most coveted watches directly at MSRP - because they want his business and the no cost of being an “Unofficial Brand Ambassador”………
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:21 PM   #9
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your opinion and view on this is laughable!!!! Sky will get any watch any time he wants, including one on your wrist!
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 10:42 AM   #10
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To Omar-Rye:
I just wanted to give you a shout out, and say an EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU TO YOU, for sharing that great interview video with the worlds best watch collector himself!!
Old 7 May 2024, 10:58 AM   #11
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

No problem
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:26 AM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Stallone is the GOAT collector
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:23 PM   #13
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
time to make predictions on sales price.....I will go with $4 million
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 06:18 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I’m sure he is a pledge member here under many different names.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:15 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I’m sure he is a pledge member here under many different names.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:49 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I sincerely hope he isn't facing something serious that motivated him to cash out. Always appreciated his achievements that led to the movie franchise "Rocky".

53 years ago...

Living in a hell-hole with the puppy that later became his "mascot" in the film (Butkus is a tale for another time).

The reason "why" he's selling is elusive in the marketing YT, but sometimes you have to move on...

A story I read about his breakthrough script for "Rocky" tells us something about accepting constructive critique (in his own words from a Netflix documentary):
Upon reading the early version of Rocky's story, Stallone's friend couldn't hide her disapproval. She emphatically stated, "I hate Rocky. I hate him. He's cruel. He hits people. He beats them up." This heartfelt critique struck a chord with Stallone and prompted him to reassess his character's direction.

Determined to make Rocky a more relatable and sympathetic figure, Stallone sought his friend's guidance. He proposed, "What if you stop short of it? Like, maybe he almost did. He could have, that's his job, but he doesn't?" To this, his friend responded positively, saying, "That'd be nice." Stallone then added, "What if he had a girlfriend or something?" She agreed, "Yeah, that's nice." With this constructive feedback, Stallone began rewriting the script, incorporating the pivotal character of Rocky's girlfriend.

I'm guessing he has gained some advice from others about timing the liquidation.

From what I expect, Patek isn't getting any more requests from him anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 12:31 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
So......he admired Flip Wilson's necklace charm, so Flip gifted it to him because he was done enjoying it and wanted Sly to enjoy it. Sly never forgot that, and since he's done enjoying these watches, he's selling them for millions of dollars so someone else can enjoy them. Almost brings a tear to my eye!

Old 8 May 2024, 02:46 AM   #18
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy View Post
so......he admired flip wilson's necklace charm, so flip gifted it to him because he was done enjoying it and wanted sly to enjoy it. Sly never forgot that, and since he's done enjoying these watches, he's selling them for millions of dollars so someone else can enjoy them. Almost brings a tear to my eye!

amen to that……
Old 8 May 2024, 04:13 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Selling watches is an integral part of collecting. Sly really explains why.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 05:35 AM   #20
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Good watch, pardon the pun …

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:23 PM   #21
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I wonder how Patek feels about him selling these pieces. Part of me thinks they like it as it is fantastic marketing for them.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:56 PM   #22
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

A fact of life is that there is always someone with a bigger you know what than you. That will apply to Stallone too. There are business people who have made in a year what Stallone will have made in his career.
Love the fella though and what he did with Panerai in the 90/2000s but we all need to calm down a little here. Next people will be saying he is best actor in Hollywood!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 11:12 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This is an excellent PR play for everyone involved, especially considering the slowing down of demand and the now-defunct 1960s Trinity marketing campaign has run its course. The auction house and Patek will do quite nicely and generate much-needed headlines for their perspective shareholders.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:09 AM   #24
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Say what you will about Stallone, and what you might think of him now, but he's 100% self-made. You may not be a fan of his movies, but I would argue Rocky was an independent film from the standpoint of one person's vision and ambition.

He is hugely responsible for the entire action film genre, which is the main economic driver for Hollywood. So in some ways, you can credit him with being the economic engine the partially feeds independent and artsy films. Without this financial engine, independent films would have a harder time getting funded or get big name actors willing to get paid spec to be in independent films.

Anyway, he also loves BIG TIME watches. Nothing subtle about his collection. You can quibble about tastes, which is subjective, but none of his watches are "generic", if that's the right word for it.

I doubt Patek has a problem with this. Why would they? I'm sure he's responsible for a pretty substantial book of business. He's one of the guys Patek can go to and say "Hey Stallone, want a new fancy watch", and Stallone would say "Absolutely" and not even mention price.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 06:16 AM   #25
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Like Joaquin says: “the watch market is dead”. He’s cashing in. Can’t blame him. One of the smartest dummies out there ;)

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 07:29 AM   #26
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Someone online is now claiming that Sly’s Patek is a re-sealed watch.
So who’s telling the truth?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:22 PM   #27
unotaz
"TRF" Member

It's resealed.

His Grandmaster chime was delivered to him 2-3 years ago and it was personally delivered at Patek New York's HQ, with all of the big executives there. So there is no way for him to take delivery of the watch without ever opening the seal, it's just not possible.

Patek is pissed at him selling the watch and no, he didn't run it by them first.

So why is he selling? Because simply put, Sly is pissed at Patek.

He's been a long standing customer of Patek but he didn't receive a Tiffany blue 5711. He asked Patek and Tiffany for one repeatedly, but Patek mishandled the Tiffany 5711 situation and many truly worthy collectors like Sly didn't end up getting one. And yes, Sly was a long time Tiffany customer as well.

Instead, guys like Leo or Lebron received the Tiffany 5711 without ever having any serious Patek or Tiffany history.

You guys can make up your mind on whether this was the right move or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Someone online is now claiming that Sly’s Patek is a re-sealed watch.
So who’s telling the truth?
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:28 PM   #28
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
It's resealed.

His Grandmaster chime was delivered to him 2-3 years ago and it was personally delivered at Patek New York's HQ, with all of the big executives there. So there is no way for him to take delivery of the watch without ever opening the seal, it's just not possible.

Patek is pissed at him selling the watch and no, he didn't run it by them first.

He's been a long standing customer of Patek but he didn't receive a Tiffany blue 5711. He asked Patek and Tiffany for one repeatedly, but Patek mishandled the Tiffany 5711 situation and many truly worthy collectors like Sly didn't end up getting one. And yes, Sly was a long time Tiffany customer as well.
Your version is the most plausible and logical version here
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:09 PM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's resealed.

Instead, guys like Leo or Lebron received the Tiffany 5711 without ever having any serious Patek or Tiffany history.

You guys can make up your mind on whether this was the right move or not.
Would be because Patek perceived Lebron and Leo to be more relevant ?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:49 PM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Would be because Patek perceived Lebron and Leo to be more relevant ?

I’d hazard the little arnault sent them to all his favorite A listers. Terry probably gave zero fs what they did with them. Arnault took a page out of the FHB playbook.