The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2007, 11:28 AM   #1
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
GMT questions

Just recently posted my hello on this site and wanted to give a brief history of my watch. The SS Gmt was purchased used from an AD. At the time it appeared to have had some hard use. It is a serial # 138---- so is 60's vintage. The face was spotted from something and they replaced it. ( Giving me the old face which I did'nt think they did.) They also I believe replaced the bracelet because would'nt a watch of this vintage have the folded links and this one does'nt. The watch also appeared to have a dent in the back of the case, although this has subsequently buffed out. The only things that bug me about the watch are the absense of the quickset feature (it drives me crazy to have to spin the hands every short month). I also like the white gold markers on the newer models. The watch has been to RSC/NY several times in the past 8 years and I probably would not send it there again. It's presently in Naples, Fla at an independent shop who I hope will resolve some issues such as accuracy. Look forward to you comments.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2007, 03:48 AM   #2
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
The RSC/NY, probably knows something about the watch, which doesn't measure up a 100%. Those guys in the RSC, can practically do everything that needs to be done. I think they have a very good reason, but prefer not to say. Did they send you a repair and replace recommendations estimate. Did you follow it a 100%, or did you leave something out.
Old 6 March 2007, 05:26 AM   #3
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
The RSC/NY, probably knows something about the watch, which doesn't measure up a 100%. Those guys in the RSC, can practically do everything that needs to be done. I think they have a very good reason, but prefer not to say. Did they send you a repair and replace recommendations estimate. Did you follow it a 100%, or did you leave something out.
1999-factory service movement, new crown, tube and hands..$358 2000-chip of paint had flecked off 24 hr hand...replaced-N/C 2004-factory service movement, new crown, tube..$347. late 2006 begins losing time dramatically..4-5 min/week. As I mentioned in a previous post, a friend took the watch into a repair shop in Naples, Fla. I should receive it back this week. However, I may have screw-- myself because in talking to this gentleman working on the watch I mentioned was he using Rolex parts. He is hard to understand on the phone but I got enough to think he may not be an authorized repairman and is using ETA parts. My local AD says that once this is done Rolex will not touch it. So I may be in the position of never being able to send the watch to an RSC ever again.
Old 6 March 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
santaclaus2100

Watch: TT GMT Master II
Oh my!!! Can you jam your brakes in time?
santaclaus2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
With regard to some of your concerns I hope I can offer a little advice. Any RSC will/should be able to do anything necessary to any Rolex model, as long as parts are still available, typically 20/40 years after it`s production has finished, this will depend on the rate the stock is used after production stops
Older model`s accuracy is not as good as current models since the frequency of the oscillator/balance is slower.
A sudden change in it`s rate may be the result of the watch receiving a shock or having being exposed to a strong magnetic field and it may just require an adjustment. The recommended service intervals are 3 to 5 years, so anything within that timeframe could be corrected without a full movement service.
ETA parts will not fit a Rolex, all of Rolex`s parts are of their own design and manufacture and are not shared with any other watches.
As a Rolex watchmaker,I have seen some juryrigging done by repairers who don`t have access to Rolex parts, but in the main it`s more a question of re-using parts that would be changed if parts were readily available.
Having your watch sent to a non Rolex repairer should not prevent you from sending it back to a RSC, the only time this applies is to new watches which are still under garantee and doing so would invalidate that garantee.
Hope this helps.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
With regard to some of your concerns I hope I can offer a little advice. Any RSC will/should be able to do anything necessary to any Rolex model, as long as parts are still available, typically 20/40 years after it`s production has finished, this will depend on the rate the stock is used after production stops
Older model`s accuracy is not as good as current models since the frequency of the oscillator/balance is slower.
A sudden change in it`s rate may be the result of the watch receiving a shock or having being exposed to a strong magnetic field and it may just require an adjustment. The recommended service intervals are 3 to 5 years, so anything within that timeframe could be corrected without a full movement service.
ETA parts will not fit a Rolex, all of Rolex`s parts are of their own design and manufacture and are not shared with any other watches.
As a Rolex watchmaker,I have seen some juryrigging done by repairers who don`t have access to Rolex parts, but in the main it`s more a question of re-using parts that would be changed if parts were readily available.
Having your watch sent to a non Rolex repairer should not prevent you from sending it back to a RSC, the only time this applies is to new watches which are still under garantee and doing so would invalidate that garantee.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help. I spoke to the elderly swiss gentleman today re: my repairs. He jokingly said the he has more parts than Rolex for the older models which could be true. My watch never received any kind of shock as I'm a little more than anal about it. Ditto the magnetic field. So I'll just have to see what he does to it. Hopefully he'll itemize his repairs and parts. Again, thanks for your input. I feel better about the situation now.