The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 August 2015, 07:30 AM   #1
cadillacofwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega GMT cal.8506
Help resizing Omega GMT

So I just received my GMT and the bracelet is too big. I call the Omega Boutique closest to me and they said that they will not touch an Omega that was not purchased at an A.D. Is this normal? All I was wanting was some links taken out. Seems like a pretty crappy way to do buisness.

So my question now is can someone point me in the right direction on how to do his my self? After doing some research, it seems that a 1.8mm screwdriver is the correct one. Is this true? Also, do I need to put Locktite on the screws before putting them back in the bracelet?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks.
cadillacofwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2015, 08:25 AM   #2
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
1.8 is probably correct but you have to check it and use the largest one you can safely.

Purple locktite if you use it. I never see the correct stuff mentioned. If you use red, you have to beat it to get it apart or risk breaking the screws taking them out. Or an ultrasonic solvent bath for a few hours.

I think you should find another AD or at least a good repair shop to handle it.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2015, 09:34 AM   #3
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I walked into the Omega Boutique in San Diego, and they didn't even inquire about where I purchased the watch. The technician simply started working on it. No charge. Moreover, the factory used so much loctite, even the technician had a difficult time using the correct tools. I wouldn't try it yourself. It's just too nice of a watch. Sure, some people have had great luck, but considering the cost of the watch, it's not worth stripping the screws or scratching the polished sides of the links. Those marks will always annoy you.

Jeremy
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2015, 12:39 AM   #4
cadillacofwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
I walked into the Omega Boutique in San Diego, and they didn't even inquire about where I purchased the watch. The technician simply started working on it. No charge. Moreover, the factory used so much loctite, even the technician had a difficult time using the correct tools. I wouldn't try it yourself. It's just too nice of a watch. Sure, some people have had great luck, but considering the cost of the watch, it's not worth stripping the screws or scratching the polished sides of the links. Those marks will always annoy you.

Jeremy
I could not agree more. I'm thinking about going to the A.D. and if they ask me where I purchased the watch from I'll just say I purchased it from an individual that said they bought it from this boutique. If they still refuse, I will personally email Omega and will bring the matter up to them.
Old 2 August 2015, 02:02 AM   #5
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
I did it myself last night with my new Speedmaster. If you're careful it isn't something that you can't do yourself. As far as loctite goes, well, the screws for my bracelet are teeny tiny, not sure how'd you really get loctite even on them!

But to answer you question, an AD seems like the place to start to get it done. Just walk in and tell then you need an adjustment. I'd be shocked if they refused. If they ask, tell them you bought it at an AD out of state.
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2015, 03:35 AM   #6
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Loctite is fine and should probably be used.

I've never had issues with it.

You want purple loctite, but that can be confusing because the bottle/tube and packaging are red.

You want to go by number and that number is either 221 or 222. I've used 222 many times with zero issues. It's low strength.

Loctite should be applied to the threads where the screw will go, not on the screw itself. It's not the end of the world if you put it on the screw itself, but as you slide the screw into the bracelet, the loctite can get into places it's not supposed to be and cause stiffness. Just use a toothpick or anything similar to place a bit of loctite exactly where you need it.

Sizing bracelets is easy when it's one with screws as opposed to pins. I prefer doing it myself rather than letting random AD employee try to do it.

Just make sure you get a hollow ground screwdriver in the right size. You get a better fit and wont mess up the screw heads.

Hollow ground is the one on the right in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71hMgRK3xDL._SL1157_.jpg (99.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg ejfj.jpg (18.1 KB, 113 views)
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2015, 06:34 AM   #7
cadillacofwatches
"TRF" Member

Update: I walked into my local AD, told them what I was there for and there was no questions asked. A gentleman came out took my watch 5 mins later bracelet was 1 link smaller. The watch fits perfect now. Thanks for all the tips and replies.
Old 2 August 2015, 09:51 AM   #8
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
They should have done it, I bought a SMP 300 off TRF last year and walked into my Omega Boutique and said "hey I just bought this can you take a link out" and they sure. They even pressure tested it for nothing...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2015, 11:57 AM   #9
cadillacofwatches
"TRF" Member

Hmm...didnt know they could pressure test. I wonder if my local AD could do the same...