The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 July 2015, 12:33 AM   #1
KenBer
"TRF" Member

Suggestions for datejust replacement dial/refinish and a sapphire crystal?

I have a 36mm stainless model 16030 datejust with a 3035 movement (attached). I need to get some work done on the movement and I'm figuring while its being repaired I'll also do some upgrades. I'm looking to modernize this a bit.

First: I've scratched up too many acrylic crystals so I really want to upgrade to a sapphire crystal. Will an original Rolex sapphire crystal work for this (since it originally had acrylic) or will I need to use some type of aftermarket? Is it worth the cost for an original Rolex? If aftermarket, does anyone have recommendations on where to get a good one? (I'd really hate to just blindly buy from the 'bay/web). Or, should I just get whoever repairs/does the upgrades to get it?

Second: I want to change my silver dial to a black dial. (Similar to the attached pictures). What guidance does everyone have regarding should I buy a new/used original Rolex dial, buy an already refinished dial and sell mine, or just have someone refinish my dial? Do the refinished dials really look pristine and OEM like the originals? Any thoughts and recommendations for who to buy from or do this work?

Lastly: Recommendations for who I should get to service my movement. I absolutely want original Rolex parts for that. I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics - but the internal mechanics are a different story. Ideally I would like to find someone/some place to do everything, but I can break it up if needed. I was leaning towards Jack at IWW, but I'm not sure if he does the dial refinishing...

Pre-Thanks for all your help!!!

Rolex-2.jpg
$_1.JPG
2624099_xxl.jpg
KenBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:55 AM   #2
KenBer
"TRF" Member

Nothing?
KenBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 11:39 PM   #3
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Most folks here would recommend that you keep the acrylic crystal to maintain originality and the vintage vibe of the watch. There is a product called "polywatch" which can be applied to the acrylic crystal periodically to remove scratches, even fairly large ones. If you decide to retrofit a sapphire crystal anyway, the aftermarket is your only option. I'm sure your watchmaker could recommend a vendor.

As far as the dial, definitely go with a authentic Rolex dial that hasn't been refinished. Datejust dials are very common and very reasonably priced. You won't save much by getting a resprayed dial and the original will look so much better.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 10:13 PM   #4
bletch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Would it maybe be better to sell the one you have and buy a more modern one that has the dial and sapphire crystal, then you will not have the concern of a watch fitted with parts not designed for it...Just my opinion
bletch is offline   Reply With Quote