The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 28 May 2015, 11:30 PM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Ink on fingers

I'm relatively new to the fountain pen world and have acquired a few nice ones over the past year or so. I've typically taken my 90th Anniversary Montblanc LeGrand to work but am seriously considering switching to a rollerball. The problem I'm running into (and why I'm asking about it) is that I can't seem to write with it without getting ink on my fingertips. I'm a physician and it isn't really acceptable to have dirty hands or to spend a lot of time scrubbing my fingertips after every time I write with my fountain pen. I typically keep my pen clipped in my pants pocket so the tip does stay upright. I often try to wipe the area just below the nib with a Kleenex before writing with it, but even that doesn't always help. I'm guessing ink gets in the cap and then every time the cap goes on the part of the pen that I grip gets a little ink on it. So am I doing something wrong or does ink on the fingertips just come with fountain pen use? I'm willing to consider a nice rollerball or two for work purposes and keep the FPs for home use if needed. Thanks!
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
Welcome to fountain pens. Unfortunately that is just how some pens are. Now I'm not sure if it's a design thing by a specific type of pen (ie all 149s) or it's a random pen thing.

My 146 platinum does it occasionally. My Visconti Wall Street limited edition does it as well.

I find temperature changes influence however that could just be me.

One thing that does alleviate it a bit is what you mentioned. If there is a little explosion and the cap gets ink. Then unless you clean the cap out your only going to be getting inky fingers.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:40 PM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

It does. I really do enjoy writing with them but maybe I'll get a nice rollerball or two for work purposes and leave the FPs for home use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2015, 08:58 PM   #4
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Doc, I am suit and tie guy and use a FP exclusively at work and at home. I have or had several brands and never experienced what you describe.

I would not accept ink on fingers as acceptable "price" to use a FP. When carrying my FP I use a one-pen leather holder and just drop in pocket. Maybe your simply holding pen to low, Have you thought about sending to nib repair person to check it out.

Good luck and BTW the LeGrand is my favorite size.

Chuck
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 12:09 PM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Ink on fingers

It looks like the ink gets on the black plastic part that holds the nib. I rubbed ink off as you can see in the paper towel. This is what gets on my fingertips but isn't entirely eliminated by gripping further back than usual.

And here's what happens when I clean the cap.

So if this is abnormal I'll just send it in to Montblanc for service. Thanks for your help.

Old 31 May 2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Get yourself a bottle of Inx Off. Safe for everyday use and it will solve the issue. Use a little and it will take the ink right off and then wash your hands and normal. Very reasonable $.

Also, have you tried packing the pen in a shirt or overcoat pocket? I think that if you carry it in you pants pocket that the action of walking, sitting, and standing will cause the ink to jostle and wick out on the nib.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-Tub...item25a59f3019
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 03:14 PM   #7
68camaro
"TRF" Member

I still think this isn't right, I would sent to MB or contact a nibmiester and discuss if anything can be done. If the cap screws off in your pocket your clothes can be ruined, asked me how I know:(

MB should know. Please give us update when you hear whats wrong.
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 02:33 PM   #8
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just send it in or drop it off at a boutique when I'm in Chicago in a few weeks

Old 1 June 2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

My 146 platinum did the same. A real thorough clean is what was required.

Old 2 June 2015, 03:52 AM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
My 146 platinum did the same. A real thorough clean is what was required.

Do you mean a cleaning from being sent in or is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty handy but very inexperienced with fountain pens.
Old 2 June 2015, 04:34 AM   #11
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Hi Doc, I'm inclined to agree with Richard about not clipping your FP to your pant's pockets and instead keep it clipped to your shirt pocket. I have not had any experiences of my fountain pens, regardless of manufacturer, leaking when carried this way. And his suggestions of a product for cleaning your hands should also take care of your issues with ink stained hands…when at work!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Do you mean a cleaning from being sent in or is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty handy but very inexperienced with fountain pens.

Yourself. Get some pen flush and throroughly clean the pen including the feed and cap. I sometimes believe there is many small sections in the cap that hold ink and won't get clean until you properly clean it with a solution which is not just plain water.

Old 1 August 2015, 09:56 AM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Okay I tried it and it didn't help. I think ink is leaking from the space between the body of the pen and the plastic piece that holds the nib in place. So I think it needs to be cleaned and re-sealed. So I'm sending it to Montblanc and will keep everyone informed.

Old 7 August 2015, 11:04 PM   #14
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay I tried it and it didn't help. I think ink is leaking from the space between the body of the pen and the plastic piece that holds the nib in place. So I think it needs to be cleaned and re-sealed. So I'm sending it to Montblanc and will keep everyone informed.

Sounds like silicon grease is required

Old 21 August 2015, 09:57 AM   #15
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

This problem is common with Montblancs. I have had several that will annoy me with this issue.

You need to have it serviced. Take it into a MB Boutique or send it to MB and let them service it. Make sure you tell them exactly what you are experiencing. Typically they will service the pen gratis, but not always. Regardless that 90th Anniversary is worth the investment of a few dollars to be able to enjoy it with no aggravation.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/custo...r-service.html

Give them a call. When you send it in they will contact you will a price before they do any work.

I have sent pens into them expecting to be charged, only to find that they fixed them and sent them back to me at no charge. And they always included a nice MB polishing cloth when they sent it back to me! Whoopeee!!!!!!
Old 21 August 2015, 01:00 PM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
This problem is common with Montblancs. I have had several that will annoy me with this issue.

You need to have it serviced. Take it into a MB Boutique or send it to MB and let them service it. Make sure you tell them exactly what you are experiencing. Typically they will service the pen gratis, but not always. Regardless that 90th Anniversary is worth the investment of a few dollars to be able to enjoy it with no aggravation.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/custo...r-service.html

Give them a call. When you send it in they will contact you will a price before they do any work.

I have sent pens into them expecting to be charged, only to find that they fixed them and sent them back to me at no charge. And they always included a nice MB polishing cloth when they sent it back to me! Whoopeee!!!!!!
I already sent it in and I did include a letter stating the problem. The estimate was $100 so I said fine. I should have it soon. Using my JFK at home and no such problems. The 90th will be more of a daily use FP when I get it back
Old 28 August 2015, 11:55 AM   #17
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Ink on fingers

Well I got it back today and so far so good. I think it must have been the seals leaking a bit. So for $100 I had it serviced and they even buffed out the scratches. It even comes back with a kind of cool plastic service case. Not bad for protection in a book bag.

I guess when you're used to $1500 plus service from Audemars Piguet, $100 seems like a bargain.

Old 28 August 2015, 12:11 PM   #18
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Well I got it back today and so far so good. I think it must have been the seals leaking a bit. So for $100 I had it serviced and they even buffed out the scratches. It even comes back with a kind of cool plastic service case. Not bad for protection in a book bag.

I guess when you're used to $1500 plus service from Audemars Piguet, $100 seems like a bargain.

No doubt!! Glad they got it right for you. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 04:58 PM   #19
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Hold Montblanc to their warranty. If you have any further issues send it back and make them fix it correctly.

I would not anticipate any issues, but their warranties are as good as they come. Don't settle. :0)

Gorgeous FP!!! Gotta love them!
Old 13 October 2015, 08:23 AM   #20
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
My 146 was leaking and I took it into the Montblanc Boutique in Costa Mesa, Ca.

I could not make it back so they sent it back to me. It looks brand new and they sent it back in a new box. Who can argue with that?
Old 14 October 2015, 03:39 AM   #21
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
This is the case that Montblanc sent my 146 back. It was wrapped up in the plastic bag inside the box. The Leather Case is its home when I am using the 146.

I have been carrying the 146 on its side for about a week. The Uvex lens cleaning paper has just come out of the cap with no ink on it. Montblanc repair has alway fixed the problem for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-13 08.00.02.jpg (44.1 KB, 59 views)