The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 May 2024, 09:03 PM   #1
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Incoming: Omega Snoopy 50th.

Super excited to be the new owner of an Omega 50th Anniversary Speedmaster.

Got the call on Friday, flew in to London yesterday morning and flew back with the amazing reference yesterday evening. Totally happy with it and a watch I will treasure for a long long time.

I had the lovely people at the OB swap the blue nylon/leather strap, which is a bit stiff, with a 3861 bracelet from my wife’s sapphire sandwich (which she wears on a strap and allowed me to borrow for the flight). I personally prefer the look of the Snoopy on the metal bracelet.

Really happy with the timepiece and totally torn between it and the 321 (although I’d say the 321 taken first prize for personal reasons).

God bless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1372.jpeg (157.0 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1374.jpeg (216.5 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1378.jpeg (280.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1380.jpeg (255.8 KB, 402 views)
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 09:10 PM   #2
masochistsr
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Did you fly to London just to pick this up?
masochistsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 09:16 PM   #3
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masochistsr View Post
Congrats! Did you fly to London just to pick this up?
Yes. That (and the 321) are the two watches I would do that for.

Fortunately my wife is a very loving, lovely, and accommodating human being. It passed her approval :)
Old 1 May 2024, 09:34 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 09:53 PM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congratulations, Tony! This just adds to the story and experience of obtaining this piece, great memories.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 10:04 PM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Big congratulations and I agree on it looking best on bracelet. Enjoy!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 10:41 PM   #7
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Congrats, I know the feeling as well. Enjoy it

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:30 PM   #8
masochistsr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Yes. That (and the 321) are the two watches I would do that for.

Fortunately my wife is a very loving, lovely, and accommodating human being. It passed her approval :)
haha awesome. I was debating between the Snoopy and the new white speedy as my first speedy. How would you compare the two?
Old 1 May 2024, 11:51 PM   #9
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masochistsr View Post
haha awesome. I was debating between the Snoopy and the new white speedy as my first speedy. How would you compare the two?
The white speedy is a really nice reference that can fit in any collection. It is, however, part of Omega’s regular stock and can be acquired at any time.

The Snoopy is at a different level. It is a different white (the dial is actually a silver disc that is coloured), the bezel is ceramic, it has an amazing back with the automated snoopy, and although it is not a limited edition, it is definitely much harder to get than the white-dialed sapphire sandwich SM. There is also a chance it may be gone next year as we come to the 55th anniversary.

If you had access to both, I would definitely recommend getting the Snoopy first and the white-dial SM after.

YMMV
Old 2 May 2024, 12:21 AM   #10
masochistsr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The white speedy is a really nice reference that can fit in any collection. It is, however, part of Omega’s regular stock and can be acquired at any time.

The Snoopy is at a different level. It is a different white (the dial is actually a silver disc that is coloured), the bezel is ceramic, it has an amazing back with the automated snoopy, and although it is not a limited edition, it is definitely much harder to get than the white-dialed sapphire sandwich SM. There is also a chance it may be gone next year as we come to the 55th anniversary.

If you had access to both, I would definitely recommend getting the Snoopy first and the white-dial SM after.

YMMV
Thanks, I plan on using this as my daily so my concern with the Snoopy is that it's a bit too casual. As a weekend fun watch the Snoopy is really singing to me.
Old 2 May 2024, 12:32 AM   #11
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
Congratulations
Old 2 May 2024, 11:43 AM   #12
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Super excited to be the new owner of an Omega 50th Anniversary Speedmaster.

Got the call on Friday, flew in to London yesterday morning and flew back with the amazing reference yesterday evening. Totally happy with it and a watch I will treasure for a long long time.

I had the lovely people at the OB swap the blue nylon/leather strap, which is a bit stiff, with a 3861 bracelet from my wife’s sapphire sandwich (which she wears on a strap and allowed me to borrow for the flight). I personally prefer the look of the Snoopy on the metal bracelet.

Really happy with the timepiece and totally torn between it and the 321 (although I’d say the 321 taken first prize for personal reasons).

God bless.

That’s the perfect pair! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PTCDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 01:22 PM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Nice indeed. Huge congrats.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:14 PM   #14
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congratulations! Great looking watch and even better on bracelet!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:50 PM   #15
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Wow, not your usual boutique pick up. Congrats.
Old 3 May 2024, 12:17 AM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:

YMMV
Interesting discussion and points. The one holdup for me is the price for both the Snoopy and the 321. I find the regular production Speedmaster Professional 42mm watches to be so good it is difficult to put the extra 8-10k or more into one. Maybe in the future as I develop more knowledge of the brand and these models.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:47 AM   #17
MrSartorial
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexJamesCameron
Looks phenomenal. You clearly love Omegas and I think you've got a great combination here - especially as you swap in and out the nylon / streel straps. Bravo on the purchase and the trip. Honestly, this is one of my favorite kind of trips.
MrSartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 03:18 AM   #18
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting discussion and points. The one holdup for me is the price for both the Snoopy and the 321. I find the regular production Speedmaster Professional 42mm watches to be so good it is difficult to put the extra 8-10k or more into one. Maybe in the future as I develop more knowledge of the brand and these models.
My thoughts? I fully agree with you. The regular production Speedmaster Pro is an absolutely fantastic watch. I also agree with you that my Snoopy and (especially) the 321 cost significantly more than the regular production Speedy, and when one tries to account for every dollar and every cent …let’s just say the totals don’t exactly balance out.

I will also say this though - for all of us in this forum, it is not about the money but rather the passion and how these watches make us feel. It is about how they make us feel rather than dollars and cents, and that is what moves us to post on our forums. Looking at your post count gives me confidence that you probably have some amazing pieces in your collection that would make my toes curl. Same thing can be said for the person who bought their first proper watch - I know someone who got a Sinn that is totally enamored with it, and it’s a bloody good watch. We are all passionate about watches.

…and it is this passion that goes way beyond what most people would consider common sense. :^)

To be totally honest, even the cheapest Bulova with a Selitta SW200 ETA clone movement is still, technically, too expensive if viewed from the perspective of cost. Most people have phones and can tell (perfect) time using them.

Which is why I am so appreciative of my wife. Rather than chastise me about taking a flight halfway around the world for a watch, she simply smiled and said at least I wasn’t spending the money on women. :^D

Back to watches …

Is the 321 movement better than, say, the 3861 in the regular Speedy? Technically, no. The 3861 is more accurate, more modern, and one doesn’t have to worry that their iPad will magnetize it.

Is the 3861 movement in the Snoopy different from the version in the regular Speedy? No, not at all. In fact, the regular Speedy is probably better in that there are fewer things that can go wrong (considering all the additions to the Snoopy that make the back interesting - the constantly spinning earth disc that is connected to the small seconds, and the Snoopy lunar module connected to the main seconds …and which apparently required the hands to be made of aluminum to save weight so as to maintain torque).

So, on paper the regular Speedy is almost the perfect watch. It really is, and it can totally fill the ‘one and done’ slot for anyone.

It is just that the 321 and the Snoopy put a big darn grin on my face whenever I look at them, and at the end of the day, that’s worth it.
Old 3 May 2024, 03:42 AM   #19
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Color me envious Tony!

Congrats on all your Speedy’s. It’s rewarding to see someone so passionate about the line procure these special models.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 04:10 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations Tony, that’s the perfect Speddy duo in my books
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 08:14 AM   #21
Ali1009
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, its a stunning watch in the flesh and blue just pops in the sun. I had to wait 2 years to get mine and when it arrived it was all worth it. You did right changing it to the bracelet. I ordered one straight away when I got mine, albeit had to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Wear it in good health.
Ali1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 09:11 AM   #22
boywithakoi
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126720VTNR
Big congrats on this one! Well worth the random flight and back.
Old 3 May 2024, 12:03 PM   #23
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Congrats!!! Side note that chess set looks really cool too
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 06:49 PM   #24
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Congratulations it is such a cool piece. It wears and looks so much better on the bracelet!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 03:56 AM   #25
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Congratulations it is such a cool piece. It wears and looks so much better on the bracelet!
I think the bracelet should be standard. Similar to how the 321 has a bracelet + a strap as standard. It really enhances the look (and yet still simplifies/understates it somehow, which is helpful for work).
Old 6 May 2024, 04:07 AM   #26
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
I think the bracelet should be standard. Similar to how the 321 has a bracelet + a strap as standard. It really enhances the look (and yet still simplifies/understates it somehow, which is helpful for work).

I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 07:23 AM   #27
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on the lovely pick up .. I do have mine with 321 and recently the white speedy too.

It is special without a doubt !

Wear it in good health
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 01:16 PM   #28
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My thoughts? I fully agree with you. The regular production Speedmaster Pro is an absolutely fantastic watch. I also agree with you that my Snoopy and (especially) the 321 cost significantly more than the regular production Speedy, and when one tries to account for every dollar and every cent …let’s just say the totals don’t exactly balance out.

I will also say this though - for all of us in this forum, it is not about the money but rather the passion and how these watches make us feel. It is about how they make us feel rather than dollars and cents, and that is what moves us to post on our forums. Looking at your post count gives me confidence that you probably have some amazing pieces in your collection that would make my toes curl. Same thing can be said for the person who bought their first proper watch - I know someone who got a Sinn that is totally enamored with it, and it’s a bloody good watch. We are all passionate about watches.

…and it is this passion that goes way beyond what most people would consider common sense. :^)

To be totally honest, even the cheapest Bulova with a Selitta SW200 ETA clone movement is still, technically, too expensive if viewed from the perspective of cost. Most people have phones and can tell (perfect) time using them.

Which is why I am so appreciative of my wife. Rather than chastise me about taking a flight halfway around the world for a watch, she simply smiled and said at least I wasn’t spending the money on women. :^D

Back to watches …

Is the 321 movement better than, say, the 3861 in the regular Speedy? Technically, no. The 3861 is more accurate, more modern, and one doesn’t have to worry that their iPad will magnetize it.

Is the 3861 movement in the Snoopy different from the version in the regular Speedy? No, not at all. In fact, the regular Speedy is probably better in that there are fewer things that can go wrong (considering all the additions to the Snoopy that make the back interesting - the constantly spinning earth disc that is connected to the small seconds, and the Snoopy lunar module connected to the main seconds …and which apparently required the hands to be made of aluminum to save weight so as to maintain torque).

So, on paper the regular Speedy is almost the perfect watch. It really is, and it can totally fill the ‘one and done’ slot for anyone.

It is just that the 321 and the Snoopy put a big darn grin on my face whenever I look at them, and at the end of the day, that’s worth it.
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote